Corsair Community

Which Corsair products to buy for RGB setup?

andrew89898

Hi, I am looking to build a new PC with the Zen 2 release tomorrow. I am going to use the 500D case and would like to have an RGB fan setup.

I have had an AIO liquid cooler pump fail on me in the past so I have been considering air cooling, but am open to Corsair AIOs as have seen that they come with a 5 year warranty.

I planned to buy the 500D case (without glass front) as I thought the 3 fans on the glass front of the RGB SE version may be a bit "in-your-face", then use some of my old non-RGB case fans in the front.

So in this scenario I could use 3 LL Fans (1 rear / 2 top) + Air Cooler. My question here is would this require the commander pro module or would the light node be enough?

Would it be better to buy a H115i mount on top, with a single LL fan in rear? Would this require a commander pro?

Secondly - the RGB SE case comes with a commander pro and 3 LL fans and has dropped in price to £185, which is now only £55 more than the standard edition, this seems quite good value so I am also considering this now.

Which setup should I go for?

Thanks.

Edited by andrew89898

The Lighting Node Pro is always required for LL fans at a minimum. That device is the software interface for lighting control. All of these RGB fans will also have a RGB Lighting Hub (in the triple pack) for actual lighting power. The Commander Pro is a LNP + fan controller. It replaces the LNP in the system doing the software interface job as well as 6 port fan controller for any DC/PWM fans connected to it. They do not have to be Corsair fans and it operates with or without the lighting aspect. You can probably price the C-Pro plus LL120 triple pack for your market, but it seems like the SE is an easy choice since the LL120 triple pack is more than that alone.

All-In-One water cooling systems are not meant to last forever and it will stop being effective or running at some future date. You need to view it as a product meant to last a certain number of years and the warranty is your insurance against a premature end. However, if you are the type who stays awake at night worrying the cooler will explode or it will fail while you are at lunch and melt the entire desk, water cooling may not be best choice. AIO products are a far lower risk on the user end than open water cooling systems, are easily removable, portable, and transferable between machines. It is mostly upside, but like nearly everything these days manufacturing tolerances have relaxed across the universe. The two types of people I might not recommend this for besides the overly worried example above are: 1) if the product failing two years from now while still under warranty would ruin your month; 2) if you are extremely noise sensitive and keep the case on your desk. An air tower is a hunk of metal and two fans. An AIO is a hunk of metal, two fans, and a small relatively high speed pump. I suspect you can guess the difference. For those who try and run a passive, absolute lowest fan speed possible type system, you are better of with air cooling. I am running 9 HD140s over 2x280mm radiators, and with a 3000 rpm D5 pump right now. All fans are just shy of 800 rpm. I can't hear a thing, because the floor fan 25 ft away on low speed is louder and covering the entire case that is only 4 ft from me. However, on a cold, dark Winter morning I sometimes swear this thing is making a racket. It's not. Know yourself and your environment.