Corsair Community

What happened to the Corsair Ice T30 Cooler?

levi.baker88

In my internet trawls looking for the extended heat fins for Dominator memory, I came across an item made back late 2009 called the "Ice T30", which was a Corsair produced water block for a custom loop cooling circuit to provide cooling for Dominator/Dominator GT memory. I had never even heard of these before and after reading some reviews, did a rather fantastic job at cooling.

This lead me think why didn't development continue? Given that it was for a custom loop, I wouldn't see it being any more difficult developing an AIO solution much like the Hydro Series CPU Coolers.

If an AIO solution was available I would most certainly be keen, given the benefits it has. I have used the Airflow/Airflow Pro setup and it's incredibly cumbersome, useful, but cumbersome.

If the memory activity functionality could also be incorporated from the Airflow Pro into an AIO solution, it would be a great performance and monitoring piece of kit.

Another benefit would be, that Corsair would be the only manufacture to offer a complete water cooling solution without having to resort to a much more costly custom loop setup.

Anyway, I've attached a review if anyone doesn't know what I'm dribbling on about.

http://hothardware.com/reviews/Corsair-Cooling-Ice-T30-/

There is a good reason why memory has heat spreaders (many manufacturers do this) and/or heatsink fins. Memory does produce a reasonable amount heat, read the review attached.

There are also plenty of custom loop cooling companies making water blocks and spreaders for memory.

So I would hardly call it redundant. It was expensive, so to speak, which may have deterred customers.

Fun Fact: Google use water cooling for their servers, so your statement about watercooled HDD's is somewhat redundant.

With DDR4 out, there are several PCB only kits available with no heatsinks at all. They really don't need it. At most, have active airflow on them and call it a day. Having a fan also doesn't guarantee higher memory overclocks as the CPU IMC is going to be the bottleneck anyway.

This product is from 5 years ago. Corsair learned that most of their customers do not watercool ram as it is just a waste. Most customers only watercool CPU and GPU, if they want to go all the way then they watercool the MOSFETs. RAM? Not in 2015 as the included headspreaders work as they should and the RAM operate within the spec temperatures.

If someone wants to watercool ram they will not use a Corsair product but one made by Swiftech or Aquacool but most don't. It is a very small niche that is already flooded with products.

Corsair decided to concentrate on AIO units which made them successful as they were doing something most other companies were not, they even dropped their CPU air coolers as other companies already have allot of those products out.

Also comparing Google watercooling their server HDDs to the average customer is not really a good one as im sure Google server farm is a acre or more where as the average person watercooling is just in a desktop

Archived