Corsair Community

Bulldog First Impressions

• Corsair Employee

Neither, Bulldog is a DIY kit that includes the chassis, power supply, liquid CPU cooler, and motherboard.

I actually dig the asymmetry of the design, but the general consensus here is that we can kind of tone down the "gamery" aspects of the ID. Honestly I think a lot of complaints would be solved if we just changed the red to a gunmetal accent or glossy black, and then got rid of the front struts and put them under the case instead of on the sides.

Neither, Bulldog is a DIY kit that includes the chassis, power supply, liquid CPU cooler, and motherboard.

I actually dig the asymmetry of the design, but the general consensus here is that we can kind of tone down the "gamery" aspects of the ID. Honestly I think a lot of complaints would be solved if we just changed the red to a gunmetal accent or glossy black, and then got rid of the front struts and put them under the case instead of on the sides.

This. The red gives it a sense of "X-Treme!" if you know what I mean. It would be a lot classier in black. I've been debating making a living room PC for multiplayer gaming rather than being in my office with a bunch of folks. Keeping my eye on any changes for sure.

I'm OK with the asthetics, however if I were to get one, I'd probably prefer something a little glossier black like. Maybe a flat black grill / grates. I do dig the brushed aluminum though.

The killer for me though it an included motherboard if I'm seeing that correctly. I for one am most critical of the motherboard I choose for my system.

I also typically run AMD for a cost factor, but I'm guessing in such a small form factor there is a challenge in cooling a hot plate like that.

Impressed with the abilities, but would never buy because of the look. I'm looking at all the electronics in my living room and they're all pretty much sleek black boxes, none trying to take attention from the rest of the system...the style is just too aggressive for my living room setup...

I changed my mind, I think it needs to be MORE aggressive and embrace the bulldog. I'm thinking, DMX partnership and it makes his barking noise on boot.

Oh and maybe more motherboard options but that's only after the DMX partnership has been established. Priorities.

• Corsair Employee

We'll make a special Ruff Ryders edition just for you.

Actually, though, we're going back and tweaking the ID a little bit. Getting rid of the red accent. I think you guys'll like it a lot more. It still looks very modern, but not quite as loud.

Actually, though, we're going back and tweaking the ID a little bit. Getting rid of the red accent. I think you guys'll like it a lot more. It still looks very modern, but not quite as loud.

I like the sound of that.. can't wait to see it!

Haha thanks for the feedback Dustin. Looking forward to the redesign.

• 4 weeks later...

"How do you feel about the ID? The price tag? The technology? Let us know here!"

Overall I'm all for getting a capable gaming PC into the living room, although with doing so (since this wouldn't exactly be a budget build) I would want it to be a permanent piece of hardware in the living room.

With that the overall design I feel it is going down the "Gamer" route, which in a living room setup would either be hidden out of sight (not great for temps) or end up with a spray-can taken to it to cover up the flashy red accents.

Accents in bright colours can look visually appealing, however when used too much it borders on the "gamer" go faster stripes look.

I'd be much more inclined with a design similar to this.

Still keeping the overall look of the system, however toned down slightly to fit within a living room setting. It would also tie in with the aesthetics of the obsidian line of cases.

BullDog.png

BullDog2.png

Above: only a quick mockup, the symetry is off in a few places amongst other things.

So we have actually made some revisions to the ID, but the front can't be completely covered as there is an intake there for the graphics card.

Very good point, was concerned about that myself when making the image edits, can't wait to see the changes made. As I've mentioned before it's a great design for a case the hardware power to volume ratio is just outstanding.

• Corsair Employee
Something that caught my attention is the SF600 power supply....

Good, it should. ;)

Very good point, was concerned about that myself when making the image edits, can't wait to see the changes made. As I've mentioned before it's a great design for a case the hardware power to volume ratio is just outstanding.

That's what we were going for. The changes we've made are modest, but more to get it in line with looking like a true part of your entertainment center.

I agree with the previous changes to tone down the 'gamery' aspects of the design and to make the struts (stands) less prominent.

I read on the FAQ that some initial designs were made with a full aluminium outer body, but were later changed to plastic for cost and weight reasons. I understand it's probably not cost effective to produce, but I would purchase an aluminium body version at a higher cost, solely because it would present as a high quality, solid piece of equipment in the living room.

I'm also intrigued by how the Bulldog could be subtly accented with internal LED's shining through some panel gaps or meshes.

... used in completing SFX power supplies

One l too much.

Is front USB 3.1 completely out of the question for first gen bulldog?

Other than that i would have preferred an aluminium body as well, just for the more premiumish look & feel. From my guess the weight difference would probably not be an issue for the majority of potential buyers.

And i personally would remove the front struts and instead just put a pair of hi-fi case feet under it.

• Corsair Employee

Front USB 3.1 is out of the question for first gen; there still isn't an industry standard internal connector for it.

The aluminum would've been...let's just say...prohibitively expensive to do. But I just saw one of the new finishes we're looking at using and I gotta be honest, it's incredibly attractive. I actually like it a lot more than the black brushed aluminum we were using on the early prototypes.

Archived