Corsair Community

Heya,

Since I couldnt find the answer yet:

Relevant Hardware:

1- Crosshair IV Formula

2- 2x F60 SSDs

Problem Description:

Windows7 hangs when I try to run programs. Firefox for example, if I click it, the blue win7 loading circle appears next to the mouse pointer indicating something nice like "ok, working on that", but after some seconds it disappears indicating something bad like "??????", and the program wont run. A new instance of the program appears in the processes list for each time that i try to run it, and stands there forever doing nothing.

After that happening once, it begins to happen to all the other programs that I try to run, until i reboot (the only program that keeps running if i try to is Internet Explorer, but i f right-click it for example and try to launch the "in private" version, it does the same thing as the firefox example).

Sometimes after boot, it takes some time to happen, allowing me to use the programs normally meanwhile, but soon it hangs some program and even right clicking something hangs Explorer to a point that even killing the process and starting it again it wont allow me to run any other programs by displaying an error message, or if i did not hang explorer, the other software have the described symptoms (except for ie, as said before).

weird thing: if i click 2x a rar file, it will hang.. but sometimes i can open winrar from its exe and open the rar file from there when in this "instability" phase after the first hang for example.

anyway.... windows became unstable since i installed those SSDs, and event log have lots of warnings and a few errors about acessing the disk, drivers, controllers and so on....

What did i try?

1- Create Raid 0 of 120gb using both disks doing a fresh Win7 Installation;

2- Remove all the hard disks and USB devices from my pc keeping only 1 F60 as single drive (as IDE) and doing a fresh Win7 installation;

3- Same as "2", but using the other F60;

4- Run some software to check one of the drives;

5- Change the sata cables/slots;

6- Another fresh install of win7 using raid 0 (120gb), but other sata slots;

What did i get from each test?

1- same thing;

2- same thing;

3- no hangs... but the event log kept showing those errors and warnings.. guess the "no hang" stuff was just luck;

4- ATTO shows normal values to the single drive of the test "2", HDTune shows no bad sectors when i look for errors, but the Health tab says that some sectors have been reallocated, and that the disk has some bad sectors, showing a yellow Warning as the result for the health test... which is.. good.. since we all should just /ignore those results anyway xD;

5- same thing;

6- same thing.

What i did not do?

1- Use the test "3" SSD on those programs... got no time to install them on the other drive yet;

2- Update mobo bios, since those updates say nothing about fixing disks/drives issues, and i probably have the new one for my pc is brand new;

3- Check and update those F60 to 2.0 firmware, cuz I saw that its only about TRIM functionality, so, my main problem is to make them work for now, TRIM is going to be another story, and i have them for 3 days only... probably they have the newer firmware.. did not check it yet.. but meh...

Notes: All drivers are up to date, i got no errors on windows installation process and my windows is enterprise ed. (x64). While installing win in raid 0 mode, i used the asus driver on windows setup.

any clues on what i should be trying? It's not possible that both drives are defective... gotta be something that can be fixed easily... i just dont know what... HELP ME! xD

Sorry for my bad english btw.

UPDATE 1

Well, since I got no help, I decided to test the things that I didnt do yet and post the results to see if i can help someone with the same problem when they read this.

Started with the upgrade of the drives to 2.0...

When i downloaded the program to do so, i had a nice surprise... one of my SSDs was v2.0 and the other one was v1.1. So.. everything started to make sense...

When i tryied to upgrade the drive to 2.0, it gave me a message telling me that the firmware download failed... so... i found out that if you go to the Sata controller on your device manager and rollback its driver you should be able to upgrade.

That saved me... i made the upgrade sucessfully, put both SSDs on RAID 0 and now im getting around 470MB/s on the ATTO bench (read and write).

Pretty good huh?

If things keep going this way, its the end of the problem, otherwise i will update this post again (hope not).

UPDATE 2

Nope... false alarm... way better right now, but not free from random hangs... still not being able to use windows due to those problems... not on raid 0, nor single drive on IDE nor on AHCI... all freezing. Should i get another driver for those drives or something? cmon... every time i log on this forum there are at least 40 ppl reading the SSD subforum... Its not possible that no one knows something that i should try... I'm about to thrash those drives... someone give me a hand here... im starting to regret my choice for corsair.

• Corsair Employee
Have you tried testing each ssd by itself? See if each SSD creates the same issues on its own or it only does it while raided. Also try changing out the Sata cables you are using and make sure on the motherboard both SSD's are connected to the same Sata 2 controller.

My mobo have only sata3 slots, I've tested some other cables and some other slots too... I was going to return them to the vendor tomorrow, but now I decided to test it one left time and its not hanging anymore... I dont know why...

and yes, I've tested them by themselves... took off every disk that i had installed and left only one of those ssds and made a fresh install of win7, later i got the other ssd and did it again... I did that with different cables, and different configurations (IDE and AHCI)... none of them seemed to work... but today, i don know why, didnt get any hangings yet... and the pc is running for about 2 hours or so...

it uses to hang in 3 or 4 clicks on the firefox icon normally.. but i have spammed a lot of clicks everywhere, playied WoW, installed stuff, and no hanging yet...

now Im kinda lost... this never happened before... i took them out of their boxes to do a last test, cuz i was going to return them tomorrow, but now that they worked i dont know what to do... Im afraid to keep them and lose the chance to return them and right after that get the hanging again... I would feel so stupid... xD

I just dont know what to do... damn...

• 9 months later...

Heya...

I'm bringing back this topic to ask a simple question.

I'm aware that the Force 2 disks had some problems back when I purchased them... I don't know if it was the disks fault or my hardware's fault, but since my hardware is working flawlessly with HDDs since the start, it's probably related to its compatibility with SSDs or even a "my hardware vs CORSAIR" stuff...

To keep it short: I had to return both my Force 2 60gb SSDs since I couldn't fix the instability problems I had, but now I'm willing to try again with Force 3 or Force GT disks...

My question: based on my previous post, should I risk Force 3 SSDs or it's more likely some problem related to my hardware and I would have problems with those new SSDs if I buy them too?

I confess I'm afraid to deal with SSDs again and end up with the same problems.

Thanks.

Archived