Corsair Community

Corsair Link V2 Beta 2.0.16

Streetwolf

• Corsair Employee
What version firmware are you running on your Commander unit? V2 software requires the update of the Commander unit with firmware 2.0.6 in order to communicate. You will need to have the V2 software installed to flash this firmware update to the Commander.

Installed V2 beta CL software and firmware.

Some observations:

I'm missing two hard drives out of four. With the previous software/firmware I was missing one drive. Two of my drives are on a Marvell 9130 SATA 6G Controller while the other two are on an Intel® Z77 Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.

Here is the order of my drives as it appears in the Program SIV. Don't know if CL uses the same order.

1. Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 Intel® Z77 Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

2. Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 Intel® Z77 Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

3. Samsung SSD 830 Series Marvell 9130 SATA 6G Controller

4. Seagate ST32000641AS Marvell 9130 SATA 6G Controller

CL shows two drives marked as HDD Temp1 and HDD Temp2. Based on their temps they might be the ones on the Intel Controller. Under the previous software/firmware I believe my Samsung SSD was also being reported based on it's temp which is the lowest of all my hard drives.

Intel Temp, which I was told is the average of Core Temps is about 5c lower than other monitors. As I posted in another thread I wonder if this is because my Ivy Bridge CPU has a TjMax of 105 as opposed to 100. Seems to be a correlation here.

Intel Temp indicator is very erratic. While stressing my CPU it showed 28C. At times it would jump to 70c or so. No wonder my fans never go to full speed. This appears to be some sort of conflict with the program I am using which is AIDA64.

I set a custom profile for my two H100 fans where point 5 is 3,000 and the group is Intel Temp. The Intel Temp is reading 74c yet my fans are way to quiet to be running at anything close to 3000. The RPM readings are 2200 and 3168. Update.... my fans did get louder for like 10 seconds but now are quiet again.

Why can't CL start to the system tray? No need to see it when Windows starts up. With the previous version I could start it minimized to the Taskbar. I then wrote a program that closed CL after about 10 seconds which caused it to go to the tray. I can't do this with the new version since it not only prompts me to save my profile but completely exits from the system when closed. All I can do is minimize it which still leaves it running on the Taskbar. Shouldn't be hard for CL to go to the tray.

I'm confused about the Notification options. I have both my H100 fans set to Performance mode attached the the Intel Temp Group. I am assuming that setting the Maximum value, under Details, to 80 will kick off an action, in my case fans to got to 100%, when my Intel Temp hits 80c. What happens is that after a couple of minutes after setting these values my fans run at 100% even though my Intel Temp is around 30c. Am I missing something here?

My H100 fans still show RPMS in the 3,000's at times and the fans are too quiet to be running this fast. Seems the only reliable modes are Maximum RPM and Fixed(%). The sound of the fans seem to indicate they are working as expected. But again the RPMS on the dials read ~3200 when I use Fixed(50%). The other modes do not seem to work as they should. For example, I have both H100 fans set to a Fixed(RPM) of 2600. The fan dials show an RPM of around 3050 and the fans are very quiet, certainly not running at 2600.

Could all the problems I am having be related to the fact I am using a Z77 MoBo along with an Ivy Bridge CPU??? All state of the art. Perhaps CL is not coded to handle these new things. As things are now I have very limited use of the features in the software and Dial readings are to inconsistent to rely on them.

More observations to continue as I encounter problems.

The stock H100 fans can only run up to 2600RPM, So 3000RPM wouldn't do anything.

The notifications options is for the ones options under it, Setting a maximum value for example 80, and Set all fans to 100%, It will run the fans on the Cooling Node up to 100%. I don't think it works for the H100 yet but you can use the Custom mode to configure it to run on max at 80.

The problems are not related to your computer. Do note you are using a beta software and firmware which is likely to have bugs.

Just like with the V1 software and firmware the V2 is not doing what it is supposed to. Custom profiles and Performance mode do not work as expected. My H100 fans do not speed up anywhere near where they should. I can tell by how loud the fans are. The RPMs on the dials are way out of whack. The fans can be dead silent yet they read 2000 to over 3000.

I am currently using Fixed(%) profiles like 40%....70%. These are definitively working as I can hear the loudness of the fans change when I change profiles. Another problem is that the tray icon, while it has my profiles on it's menu, changing profiles via the icon does not seem to work. And as I said previously I also have CL on my Taskbar. Is there really a need for that?

Also I noticed that the LED on the Commander blinks pretty fast. It appears to be a mix of an orange and green light. When I turn off my computer, leaving the On/Off PSU switch to ON, the LED blinks green very fast for about 5 seconds then turns red for a sec then starts blinking green again. As my computer is near my bed it has become an unwelcome nightlight.

Since the H100 is a Corsair product one would think it should work with the CL right out of the box. Those folks that say their CL works fine have they really determined that this is so? Do their fans rev up and down correctly according to their sound and the RPM's displayed on the software?

Again let me stress I've had almost all the same problems with V1 of the software/firmware so I don't think V2 being a beta is contributing much to the problem other then the weird blinking of the Commander LED which didn't do this with V1.

I was a speedfan user for many years and it always performed correctly. Perhaps expecting the CL to work as flawlessly as Speedfan just might be a pipe dream for me. Of course Speedfan can't control the H100. I asked Corsair if there were any API's for the CL and was told about it being proprietary.

I really wish the software worked as it should. I really want to setup a custom profile for my H100 Fans but can't as the fans just don't respond to the CPU temps I set for it.

BTW... I only use CL to control my H100. I do not use the cooling unit at all. I run a digital cable directly from the Commander to my H100.

The L.E.Ds flickering is normal it indicates activity.

Green on and off (about twice per second) means that Stingray is attempting to connect to Windows. It will flash red every ~10 seconds if it cannot and will keep trying.

Solid green and flickering orange is used to show activity; since SierraSerivce is always running, the USB Commander should always be flickering.

Red on and off (about twice per second) indicates some hardware failure or that the unit is in boot-loader mode.

So how about the flickering LED when my computer is off? V1 did not do this. I believe the LED was just a solid green. With V2 it blinks green very fast for like 6 seconds, than red for a second, ad infinitum. There should be no blinking IMO as my computer is off so there is nothing for the CL to control. As I said it's really annoying at night when if makes my bedroom a Disco out of the 70's.

If you look at the first one. The commander unit is trying to connect to Windows. If it is annoying as it makes your bedroom a Disco, I'd suggest you turn off the power supply by using the switch at the back.

Sure turning the power of is an option but don't you think there is a problem? Why should the LED's blink as if showing activity when my machine is off? V1 never did this?

Does V2 do this on your Commander if you are on V2. Perhaps others are seeing this also, or not?

Just like with the V1 software and firmware the V2 is not doing what it is supposed to. Custom profiles and Performance mode do not work as expected. My H100 fans do not speed up anywhere near where they should. I can tell by how loud the fans are. The RPMs on the dials are way out of whack. The fans can be dead silent yet they read 2000 to over 3000.

I am currently using Fixed(%) profiles like 40%....70%. These are definitively working as I can hear the loudness of the fans change when I change profiles. Another problem is that the tray icon, while it has my profiles on it's menu, changing profiles via the icon does not seem to work. And as I said previously I also have CL on my Taskbar. Is there really a need for that?

Also I noticed that the LED on the Commander blinks pretty fast. It appears to be a mix of an orange and green light. When I turn off my computer, leaving the On/Off PSU switch to ON, the LED blinks green very fast for about 5 seconds then turns red for a sec then starts blinking green again. As my computer is near my bed it has become an unwelcome nightlight.

Since the H100 is a Corsair product one would think it should work with the CL right out of the box. Those folks that say their CL works fine have they really determined that this is so? Do their fans rev up and down correctly according to their sound and the RPM's displayed on the software?

Again let me stress I've had almost all the same problems with V1 of the software/firmware so I don't think V2 being a beta is contributing much to the problem other then the weird blinking of the Commander LED which didn't do this with V1.

I was a speedfan user for many years and it always performed correctly. Perhaps expecting the CL to work as flawlessly as Speedfan just might be a pipe dream for me. Of course Speedfan can't control the H100. I asked Corsair if there were any API's for the CL and was told about it being proprietary.

I really wish the software worked as it should. I really want to setup a custom profile for my H100 Fans but can't as the fans just don't respond to the CPU temps I set for it.

BTW... I only use CL to control my H100. I do not use the cooling unit at all. I run a digital cable directly from the Commander to my H100.

Streetwolf,

Since you are not using the cooling node, why don't you hook it up and connect your H100 fans to it and see if that works? I was only getting a 500RPM spread when my GT AP-15 fans, (that are on my H100) were connected to the H100 hub and then to the Link.

When I bought an additional cooling node and hooked up the H100 fans to it, the RPM spread increased to 1000 RPMs (850+-to 1850+-RPMs) While this is not perfect, it is worth a try. If you are using the fans that came with the H100, you should see even better results. It seems to be working OK for me so far.

Good luck.

• 5 months later...

Archived