Corsair Community

Connecting the Commander Pro to Mobo with no USB 2.0 headers

adrian5683

Hi all, I'm about to start a build in the Crystal 280x using an Asus Strix Z270i motherboard. I'd like to use the Commander Pro but the motherboard only has a USB 3.0 (I/O) and 3.1 headers. Is it possible to use a USB 2.0 to USB A adapter or does that not provide enough power to the Commander Pro?

Any other ideas are appreciated, thanks.

Thank you, that really helps! I'm trying to use 6 LL RGB fans, plus a H100i Pro and RM650i. Seems to me the easiest way for connecting everything is through a CoPro+Fan Hub. I suppose you have not found any adapters that include the entire 9-pin header?

Have you tried to find one of these? Not PCI ... PCIExpress. Because most motherboards don't have PCI slots anymore.

I'm not being facetious. I'd really like to find one of these unicorns.

LOL, I know you are sincere

Like these???

https://www.amazon.com/Port-Express-Profile-High-Speed/dp/B002RL8V7E

https://www.startech.com/support/PEX400USB2

I'll never understand why CL will only connect over true 2.0 even though 3.0, 3.1 ports are 'backward compatible'.

I also have found my Logitech keyboard and mouse setpoint are particular about what rear USB port I use.

You'd think with the demand withg so much hardware that still has to use 2.0, that a card would be easy enough to find. I have to have a modem in my macine, it was hard and stupid expensive to get one. Dinosaurs.

Yeah ... but they have a single USB-A connector. Ugh. Less helpful.

Something with an internal, USB2 connector would be good.

I kid you not .. I am out of internal USB 2 ports.

I too, have sucked up my USB 2.0 internals with Corsair stuff.::pirate::

I find it hard to believe no company makes a USB 2.0 internal port PCIe card. What if someone damages the port on the MB?:eek:

You can still buy PCIe cards that support floppies!:bigeyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi -

An old thread, I know. But I need some help!

I can't use my Mobo's internal USB 2.0 header, so I wired up this adapter to the Commander Pro & ran it to a USB 2.0 on the I/O panel of the Mobo.

iCue is not detecting it. Is there an issue using the cable I provided? I've tried everything from disabling it in hardware manager & rebooting, to hard resetting the CPro, but nothing I do will get it to recognize the device. When I hard reset it, the green LED flashed, but still nothing, even after rebooting the iCue service & restarting the computer. I've also tried other USB ports, to no avail. RGB power is flowing / on & the fans are running fine (although no PWM control), but not detected in iCue for control.

Do I need a different cable adapter? Should the 9-pin to USB A work, or do I somehow need two of the 5-pin cables?

Help me, Obi Wan. You're my only hope.

• 3 weeks later...
That's only a single port USB connector. The CoPro uses both USB ports on the 9-pin header. One of the ports is for the built-in hub. One is for the CoPro itself. It's likely that this particular adapter - which only supports a single port - is only connecting the hub port.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way you can see making it work without using the Mobo headers, then?

My Mobo made the connector parallel to the PCB, facing the PSU, and there is only about 2-3mm of space between them, so I wasn't able to use it. :mad:

Maybe there's a better adapter cable you could see working? Space is very limited in my build - using an SM570 case.

You would need 2 4/5 pin to USB-A adapters - that would give you both the CoPro as well as the internal hub. If you just want the CoPro, then you'll need one with 4 pins (or clip the 5th pin) and put it on the 4-pin side of the 9-pin USB connector. That's the USB port for the CoPro MCU.

You would need 2 4/5 pin to USB-A adapters - that would give you both the CoPro as well as the internal hub. If you just want the CoPro, then you'll need one with 4 pins (or clip the 5th pin) and put it on the 4-pin side of the 9-pin USB connector. That's the USB port for the CoPro MCU.

I don't need the internal hubs. So I will buy a 4-pin only adapter & see what happens.

Interesting. The adapter I am using has all 9 pins, but only to one USB-A. My device manager shows "Corsair composite virtual input device" present with correct drivers installed, but no matter what I tried, iCue won't show it.

I've already done a lot of troubleshooting steps. But now I'm curious. Is it that the power is "split" between the two and it's not getting enough power or communications channels dedicated to it to register the device with iCue?

And if I can't find a 4-pin adapter & choose to use a 5-pin, how do I know which terminal to "clip" to make it 4 pins? Does it matter which way it's oriented?

Edited by av8r85

It does matter which way it is oriented. The black wire (ground) should go towards where the block is for the 10th (blocked) pin. You can snip off the 5th pin; it's an extra ground for the housing.

As for your adapter ... yes, it has both but I'd guess that only one is connected. A 9-pin USB connection has 2 ports, 1 on each row. You really can't combine them into a single connector without a hub. So I'd guess that some of the pins are blanks. Or something. Or maybe both are connected, which is just wrong.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

Is it possible to connect the commander pro to a pcie card so i can pass through the unit to a vm.

Want ot use my desktop as an esxi host.

i was planning on creating a windows10 vm and installing icue so i could control the fans when using esxi.

I purchased this card

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00JEVLEFQ?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

along with this cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07G6HSKKC?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Would i be able to achieve this?