Corsair Community

Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe + TWIN2X4096-6400C5

-Jim-

Gents,

I recently got my Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe back after RMA from Asus. In the meantime I bought a new Asus P5N32-E SLI => basically an Asus Striker MB less a few baubles, and put in 4 Gigs of Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX G using settings recommended from Derek & The Ram Guy. Thanks they worked Great! I also moved to an Intel QX6850 as I needed a Quad core to render HD Movies in Pinnacle 12 Ultimate from my new Sony HDR-SR12.

My Brother who has an ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS with Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX G (see previous thread: http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73159 ) also needed to move to a Quad Core to edit HD so around Christmas I bought him a Intel Q6700 and bundled it with 4 Gigs of CM2X2048-6400C5 (@ Tiger Direct)

Now I'm putting together a Box (see my adjusted specs) with the Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe and the new 4 Gigs of Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 ver. 3.1. (Isn't ver. 3.1 quite old as I saw a post here where the guy said 5 was the latest => and the post was at least a year old?)

Simply putting in 2 sticks on Default settings got me nowhere. I finally got the Box to Boot with a single stick of CM2X2048-6400C5. For a while I was trying to boot to a known good 1 Gig stick of brand K and then tweak the settings to accomodate the Corsair based on the template below, but got nowhere, and finally tried one stick of Corsair. So at least now it lights up. But these settings just cause it to freeze prior to POST.

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

Performance Mode: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 18T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: Auto

Write to Precharge Delay: (Not Listed)

Command Rate: 2T

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

Advanced voltage control

CPU Vcore offset(Not Listed)

DDR2 Termination: (Not Listed)

NB Volts:____1.500V (I tried 1.4 => no Joy!)

NB to SB HT:_____(Not Listed)

NB Core/PCI-E:___(Not Listed)

SB Core/PCI-E:___(Not Listed)

SB Standby core:_(Not Listed)

Output driver control

CKE:______(Not Listed)

CS/ODT:__(Not Listed)

ADD/CMD:_(Not Listed)

MEMCLK:__(Not Listed)

Chipset Core Voltage: (Not Listed)

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

Just for grins I just tried both sticks individually and one works:o:, and the other hangs :eek: before POST. I know you guys are going to say run Memtest on each stick. And I will in the morning as it's after midnight and I'm getting tired.

Please advise if you see anything wrong :confused: in the above settings.

Thanks for the assist.

• Corsair Employee

The version number has nothing to do with how old the modules are we have 6 Current BOM's (Bill Of Materials) and they are all in production depending on IC availability.

Next since one works and one does not lets just get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Ram Guy,

Thanks for the tip on the Rev number. I'm miffed at another RMA (after the Asus one) but what can I do. I know I could always buy more new RAM but ...:roll:

Any idea how long this will take? I filled out the electronic form already. (I hope it's faster than the rebates were :mad:) I have a Bad stick of type K RAM and I've never gotten around to doing a RMA for it. I decided to "stick" with Corsair because of it's reputation for Quality, Support, and none of my Buddies ever had an RMA with it.

By the way, a couple of things I noticed.

There is no mention of "TWIN" on these modules or the packaging but they were sold in pairs in a blister pack. I assume they've been tested together but what do I know? Comment?

The Bios (502 - latest for the Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe) doesn't seem to have a 1.8 Volt setting for DDR2 SDRAM Voltage. (Bizzare as it's in the Manual...:confused:) I noticed some Corsair RAM recomended for this Board is rated at 1.8 volts as is CM2X2048-6400C5. I expect adding more volts adds a bit more heat but if all Corsair Modules are certified & Tested @ 2.1V is there really any issue?

Thanks for all your help.

Wired,

Thanks for the post but I don't remember exactly how they were advertised. (I got them off the Web before Christmas but didn't touch them until yestyerday.)

But there is no "TWIN" type verbiage on the Package just Corsair - xms2 - 4GB - DDR2 on the cardboard insert face in the blister package with the 2 Sticks.

Hence the question.:confused:

Ram Guy,

I can't check the package as I used it to hold the 2 sticks when I sent them back on the RMA. Today I recieved this email:

"Please do not reply directly to this e-mail as this address is not monitored.

Corsair Technical Support has sent you a message regarding Case #886176

----------------------------------

Dear Jim,

We wanted to let you know that we have received your return package for RMA number 1096551Your returned product is staged for review by our returns department, and we will be contacting you shortly regarding repair or replacement. Please note we are currently experiencing delays with warranty replacement shipments, please allow for an additional 5 business days for processing.

Sincerely,

Corsair Returns Department

Thank You!

Corsair Memory Inc.

Corsair Corporate Headquarters

http://tsx.corsair.com

http://www.corsairmemory.com

http://www.asktheramguy.com"

Seems strange to start weasling on return upon receipt. (Must be related to their ReBates department... :o:) They give zero indication about when to expect a return. :mad:

Does anyone have any idea how long I'll wait for these to be replaced?

• Corsair Employee
The RMA once received will average 24--96 Hours before a set is back in route to you, but please give is 3-5 Days before checking the RMA. Most RMA's that users have called in about are in shipping but just have not been logged in the system. The average total time for USA RMA's is about 7-10 Days and 10-15 Days for International RMA's. The exception on this would be if they are out of stock of a given part which may add a few more days to fill the order.

Archived