Corsair Community

Best Sensor For CPU Fan Curve - iCUE

RustyJP

So i'm running a H100i V2, currently with stock fans, as one of my ML120 pros had to be RMAed.

I'm fiddling with my fans and trying to determine what sensor I should be using for the fan profile.

I have a 8700k so temp spikes are common and running the fan profile off the package temp means that the fans are constantly spinning up and down, making a lot of noise and in the long term damaging the motors.

I could run it off the H100i's internal temp sensor, but i'm worried that wont be sensitive enough or reflect the actual package temp well. I have a Commander Pro, so I could try and run a thermistor near the CPU socket and use that sensor instead?

Any suggestions or recommendations for sensors or fan curve's would be great!

The default is coolant temperature (H100i v2 Temp in some versions) and that is what you should use and how the cooler works. It doesn’t matter how hot your package/cores are in relation to fan speed because the fans have no cooling effect on them. Heat transfer out of the CPU is strictly conductive, then it enters the coolant stream and becomes part of the radiator system. The fans help remove heat from the coolant. If the H100i Temp has only gone up +4C, then that is the greatest possible reduction possible. +1 coolant temp = +1 CPU temp, so the actual “loss” in terms of cooler efficiency is pretty small compared to real issue with most recent CPUs — responsive behavior combined with sub-optimal construction. You can’t get rid of most of the heat without delidding.

My coolant temp delta is about +4-5C for most things at 5.0/1.30v. That’s not a lot, but it also means a smooth and moderate fan curve will do the job. You don’t need them to be responsive to cpu temp. If you are down to your last few degrees of comfort, set a higher fixed speed before starting your gaming, rendering, etc.

Cheers C-attack, so ill run the curve off the H100i sensor.

Currently my 8700k idles around 28-35, gaming peaks around 55-62 and rendering normally pushes up to the 70s. Current fan curve looks like this.

Any tips for how I should tweak it for the H100i sensor. What's your curve like? Thanks for ya help

24655877.900000006_image.thumb.png.525139567935bbe32ea3e2798af3588c.png

Typically, coolant temps are less than 40C but that'll depend on your ambient and internal case temperatures - sometimes your max could be around 45C.

You'll want to have a more narrow range of temperatures starting with your ambient/starting/boot temp and ramping up based on the max temperatures that you see/care for on the cooler balanced with your noise tolerance.

Archived