Corsair Community

New build, pump noise

damnengineer

Just a quick question, is it normal for the pump to make some rattling noise when you are running the loop for the first time? It's been running for a leak test the past 2 hours and it makes a bit of a noise that I can best describe as "static". It for sure didn't run dry.

I assumed it might be because the pump is probably running at full speed when you bleed the loop, but I'm starting to doubt my own theory now.

"Static" is usually the word used to describe the sound of air bubbles being forced through the blocks or pump. A concerning pump noise would be strong resonance or vibrations across a broad RPM spectrum. Frankly, all D5 pumps are loud at 4000 rpm+, so I bet it does sound like a bunch of noise. At normal 2000-3000 rpm speeds, you shouldn't hear much from the pump and it will make it far easier to pin point what is bubble traffic vs actual motor noise.

**Take caution re-connecting the XD5 PWM lead to the Commander Pro while the system is powered on (24 pin jumper or standard). You would think this would be inconsequential, but a few of us knocked out PWM control by doing so. Only reconnect the pump's PWM lead when the system is powered off.

A PWM lead that does not carry motor current? Hot plug a fan? I wonder how many people have plugged a fan onto a live motherboard header vs the number that damaged a product this way. Losing PWM control on the pump and blowing the header should not be the expected result, but there is a chance.

No, I wouldn’t do that with any data device, a PSU line, or anything that carries real current. Since the XD5 connection only has a PWM signal and tachometer wire, you would think it would be harmless with the nominal signal. That does not appear to be the case and it’s very tempting to plug in the control line after a while when in that full speed state.