Corsair Community

New Obsidian 750D Refresh Soon - Please?

Flyprdu

Hey Guys,

Looking to build a couple of high end PCs in the next year or two, and to be honest I'm waiting on Corsair to announce a refresh to their full-size Obsidian, the 750D.

I had heard through the grapevine some time ago that something was in the works, and I just wanted to remind you that there are people who love putting their cases on the floor. You'd have 2 immediate sales of a 750D with tempered glass the day you announce!

Thanks for listening.

Hey Guys,

Looking to build a couple of high end PCs in the next year or two, and to be honest I'm waiting on Corsair to announce a refresh to their full-size Obsidian, the 750D.

I had heard through the grapevine some time ago that something was in the works, and I just wanted to remind you that there are people who love putting their cases on the floor. You'd have 2 immediate sales of a 750D with tempered glass the day you announce!

Thanks for listening.

Yeah, and give it the bottom stand of the 1000D and not the legs of the 500D!

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, and give it the bottom stand of the 1000D and not the legs of the 500D!

IIRC the 1000D, apart from the small area directly beneath the ATX PSU, has a solid floor no? The 750D on the other hand, has that great airflow thin-lined honeycomb grid floor almost entirely front to back. Only broken up by a roughly 2 inch wide solid section across the floor, right in front of the PSU, for structural integrity.

TL;DR I'm new here. Long post incoming because I really love basis and *the potential* of this case.

-

Personally I would prefer not to give up the airflow-friendly floor, as it goes a long way for cooling setup flexibility. But it also really needs a filter going all the way across the bottom honeycomb - as it doesn't have that and Corsair doesn't offer it; you gotta go 3rd party for a filter for the area not directly under the PSU. Stil - the feet of the 750D, and how they are mounted to and accommodated in the floor, isn't perfectly optimal either.

Might be possible to redesign how the base is fixed to the case, and dig out *a lot* of material from it, to achieve a compromise? In the real world where "s*rew good engineering just make it beefy" is neither a good solution nor financially adventageous, real structural rigidity and strength comes from profiling and bracing, not bulk.

Anywho. If they do decide to do an updated version of the 750D - and the overall design, outer dimensions, material finish and construction is quite good... I would love to see not only tempered glass (and an optional solid, maybe with space for a sidefan? Those make immense differences for CPU and/or GPU cooling if one or both are aircooled) for the sidepanel. But also the optical bay cage gone, and the two options for front panel extended all the way, with an extended gap around it up from 10 to 20-25 mm. That would really help the airflow with the solid front panel.

The first thing I did when pulling mine from the box it came in, was get it in the garage to get rid of the cage. But you can't just drill out the rivets and pull it. One full side of the cage is stamped from the front wall on 3 sides then bent in, so you have to cut it off. That makes it unrealistic for many customers, and it means that Corsair can't just switch to use screws rather than rivets and make the cage removable that way - it'll require a redesign. And at that point, in 2020 that cage may not be of much interest to most customers anyway, and it can be done away completely or made an optional screw-in extra.

Removing the cage *easily* acommodates a 420mm rad up front. But without a revised front chassis and panel, there's no place to mount the top fan nor any airflow up there. Unless you do some hard modding. Pulling the bay covers grants airflow, but with a SUV-sized hole straight in, and still no place to mount a fan. But the potential is there, and most of the manufacturing tooling and dies can be reused as is; really only the front wall of the chassis and the plastic case front panel, that needs changing.

If you reroute the front IO cables a little bit like I did, you can fit 420 rads in both the top *and* the front at the same time - or a whole 480mm in front if a shorter top rad. That's pretty damn good for a case this size. I currently have a 480 up front in my 750D. That's an EK rad, and those have fairly large shrouds, adding well-above-average to the full outer dimensions to it (the actual space needed to mount it, vs the surface area by fan size). Corsair's own rads have "smaller" shrouds, so smaller full outer dimensions for the same radiator size. There's only a few mm clearance top to bottom, but it shows the awesome potential and flexibility of this case, with some rather moderate tweaks.

If Corsair got onboard, I think a revised and updated version of this case could be an serously good case and high earner. And with Corsair now doing custom/open loop gear, IMO it would make sense to do something like this. Could call it whatever they want, but I personally think keeping the 750 name would be wise as it already has really good standing among builders. So maybe something like Obsidian 750H(ydro) could be good, and promote it along side the Hydro X gear.

These are just my 238 cents, but I think this idea could be a really great way to go, offering huge flexibility and great capacities, without really needing too many or drastic changes to the production tooling.