Corsair Community

Corsair Platinum: 2133 or 2400+Corsair Link

Safado

Hello there guys, a couple of questions in regards of this ram:

Im unable to find the QVL for this RAM for this mobo: Asus Maximus v Formula.

I'd like to either purchase one of these 2 rams:

1: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M4A2133C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

or

2: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M4A2400C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

The First RAM runs at 2133 and has a 1.5v, the second RAM runs at 2400 and has a 1.65v (Tested)

I'm still quite unsure if I run a 1.65v RAM Would cause my cpu (3770k OC to 4.4ghz atm) to not take the full potential of the 2400 clock.

Also, Got myself a Commander+cooling+Lighning kit, for me to be able to use the Corsair link of the RAM, Do I have to buy the Corsair Airflow Pro and then connect that to the commander via LINK,right?

Would the Airflow Pro will work Under the Platinium ram at all?

As per Corsair website says that " Dominator Memory with DHX Pro technology. (DOMINATOR Modules with part numbers starting with CMP and CMT)" Obvioulsy I dont know if this Correct.

IMO I would rather buy the 2133 because of the 1.5v and also the Price, the 2400 It's almost the doubling the price of the 2133.

Thanks a lot guys!

Edit: My cpu it'a a 3770k,Might work under 2400??

Forgot to mention: Got my cpu OC at 4.4(not using xmp)

I'd like to either purchase one of these 2 rams:

1: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M4A2133C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

or

2: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M4A2400C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

If this is a gaming machine , go with the 2133mhz kit.

2400mhz is a HUGE memory overclock for your CPU and the chances of your being able to run them 24/7 at that speed is pretty small. And with your CPU overclocked to 4.4 already your chances dwindle even further. At that overclock you may even have trouble with the 2133mhz kit. But in relation to your CPU's memory controller 2133mhz is a moderate overclock and you SHOULD be able to run them at that speed or slightly lower with your CPU.

Now if you are the hardcore overclocker then you could try the 2400mhz modules. Until CPU's come out that support higher than 1600mhz memory these are going to be hit or miss to be stable 24/7 and will often require further BIOS adjustments. There is just no way to say if your CPU will be able to run them other than to try them. The worst that would happen is that you would have to reduce the speed and run them at 2133mhz.

Also, Got myself a Commander+cooling+Lighning kit, for me to be able to use the Corsair link of the RAM, Do I have to buy the Corsair Airflow Pro and then connect that to the commander via LINK,right?

Correct! You need the AFP to be able to use them with the LINK system. And I may be wrong about this , but I don't believe the AFP will fit over the platinum series. I thought the lightbar gets in the way and were for the Dominator series only.

Let me see what i can dig up...I know it's been mentioned before one way or the other.

IMO I would rather buy the 2133 because of the 1.5v and also the Price, the 2400 It's almost the doubling the price of the 2133.

I really think this would be your best bet for stability.

And in order to use the Link software with these modules you would have to purchase an Air Flow Fan and Air Flow Pro.

And in order to use the Link software with these modules you would have to purchase an Air Flow Fan and Air Flow Pro.

Hello Mr Ram,

Yoou are so right mate, I thought the Air flow pro does come with the 60mm fans, but actually IT DOES NOT! You have to buy the Corsair Dominator Airflow Twin Fans to be able to use the Airflow Pro!! I founed this a bit of a scam, but anyway.

Once i connect the Air flow fan and the air flow pro, you'll need to connect that to one of the headers of the Commander right?

In Regards of the RAM, Just bought the 2133, saved around $150 and hopefully I could use the XMP function and OC the cpu as well.

Thanks.

If this is a gaming machine , go with the 2133mhz kit.

2400mhz is a HUGE memory overclock for your CPU and the chances of your being able to run them 24/7 at that speed is pretty small. And with your CPU overclocked to 4.4 already your chances dwindle even further. At that overclock you may even have trouble with the 2133mhz kit. But in relation to your CPU's memory controller 2133mhz is a moderate overclock and you SHOULD be able to run them at that speed or slightly lower with your CPU.

Now if you are the hardcore overclocker then you could try the 2400mhz modules. Until CPU's come out that support higher than 1600mhz memory these are going to be hit or miss to be stable 24/7 and will often require further BIOS adjustments. There is just no way to say if your CPU will be able to run them other than to try them. The worst that would happen is that you would have to reduce the speed and run them at 2133mhz.

Correct! You need the AFP to be able to use them with the LINK system. And I may be wrong about this , but I don't believe the AFP will fit over the platinum series. I thought the lightbar gets in the way and were for the Dominator series only.

Let me see what i can dig up...I know it's been mentioned before one way or the other.

I really think this would be your best bet for stability.

Can you tell me how the XMP works at all?

Id like to have either my cpu at 4.4 or 4.6 and the ram working at 2133mhz, Is that possible or do i need a miracle?

Yoou are so right mate, I thought the Air flow pro does come with the 60mm fans, but actually IT DOES NOT! You have to buy the Corsair Dominator Airflow Twin Fans to be able to use the Airflow Pro!! I founed this a bit of a scam, but anyway.

The older fan used to use three 40mm fans. So the new revised fans use two 60 mm fans which would be the twin fan model you need.

Once i connect the Air flow fan and the air flow pro, you'll need to connect that to one of the headers of the Commander right?

You'll have a cable that attaches directly to the memory from the AirFlow Pro then from the AFP to the commander unit.

Can you tell me how the XMP works at all?

Id like to have either my cpu at 4.4 or 4.6 and the ram working at 2133mhz, Is that possible or do i need a miracle?

XMP is easy. It's a one click solution to overclocking memory. But if you plan on overclocking the CPU too then you probably wont use it because you will need to change your CPU multiplier to get the correct speed for both memory and CPU.

I would suggest looking for overclocking guides for your CPU to see what you need to do. Generally you'll get your memory running at rated speed first(2133mhz) and then start raising your CPU OC . But you may have to adjust other system voltages to compensate for both overclocks.

Hello there guys,

Got the Airflow pro+the corsair platinum 2133 installed.

After some issues with BSOD, I was able to run the cpu at 4.4 and the memory at 2133, no problems so far.

My issues comes with the corsair Link, I have installed the black cables to the airflow pro and the other end to the RAM itself, then I noticed a white connector on the airflow pro, which I believe it's the connectors that goes to connected to the commander unit, I did connect the cable to the commander, boot into windows but Im unable to see any device related to the ram, the cooling and lightning mode does show up.

As per this manual, there is no indication of the corsair link, but as you can see, there is the little white connector.

http://www.corsair.com/media/cms/manual/How_To_Install_Airflow_Pro.pdf

In which order you need to connect the black cables onto the airflow pro? From Left to right or viceversa? Atm it's connected from the far right to the left (there are six connectors in total, 1 behind another)

Since I have 4 sticks of RAM , I installed them like this:

Right: 1 and 2 (One behind another)

Middle: 1 and 2 (One behind another)

Left: Empty- There are no connectors on the far left at all, but the other 4 remaining are occupied.

Finally, Im using the latest FW for the commander and the Corsair Link software I believe it's the 2.3

Can someone Help me??

Thanks a lot!!:laughing:

Did you attach the power cable to anything? You mentioned hooking up all the data cables correctly, but no power cables. If there is no power to the unit it would have no way of showing up in the LINK software.

You are correct, though. The little white connector would be the cable that gets connected to the commander unit.

As per this manual, there is no indication of the corsair link, but as you can see, there is the little white connector.

While it has the data connector the AFP was made long before the LINK software came out. So I would tend to think that is why there is no mention of it in the documentation.

Archived