Corsair Community

H80i V2 one of the fans stopped working

jesuadr

like tittle say, the fan that expels the air stopped working. I suspect it may be due to the firmware update (2.0.0.8). I need to know how to reset the firmware to the factory version. Since I already tried many possible solutions and nothing. I never had this problem for almost 1 year I got the cooler.

You can contact Corsair Tech Support from the Link above and request a new fan. They should just send a replacement without requiring the cooler be returned. However, it would like be faster and more efficient to get the retail version of the same fan. The SP120 High performance PWM (the ringed version) can be found very cheaply most places. Also, if for some reason you are not in love with the sound of the current fans, this would be the opportune moment to replace them. You can just replace the failed fan, but you need to be careful and try and match it something with a similar RPM range. It also must be PWM to be controlled by the pump header. The above SP120 PWM is both. A Corsair ML120 Pro/LED would be another. It will have a better sound characteristic at lower speeds, but keep in mind all fans are loud at 2000+ rpm. You shouldn't need that much speed anyway.

1) Possibly, but you would need to contact Corsair support to figure out how to force it to do so. I don't know if you can. I am more certain you don't need to. If you are using Corsair Link, that software is controlling the fans and again, stop is not a something it can do. Flashing the firmware always carries some risk of bricking the device. You don't do this unless you really need to. Since your fan will not run from the motherboard and the other fan obviously is still working, I don't see any way for this to be connected to the firmware or the cooler in general.

2) Why do fans fail? Either mechanical or electrical. You could have something happen to the magnet (unlikely) or the brushings wear down, but usually with a mechanical failing you get lots of advance notice in the form of irritating noise. More likely is an electrical failure of some type. Ground came loose. Solder came apart. Worked one minute. Not the next.

Archived