The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Systems > CORSAIR ONE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 PM

POST ID # = 1005156
hoehme Reputation: 10
Default How to upgrade the NVMe drive in the i160?

I own a Corsair One i160 model and swapped out the internal 2 TB HDD by a Samsung 4 TB SSD without any problems. Is there any tutorial / information on how to upgrade the 480 GB NVMe drive that (as I have read) sits on the back of the mainboard? Has anyone done this already and can tell me how difficult it is? I understand that this procedure voids the warranty despite I do not really understand why My plan is to swap this by a Samsung 2 TB NVMe.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 PM
Queeg's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1005169
Queeg Reputation: 10

From what I've heard, the only way to access the M.2 SSD is to remove the GPU assembly. That's more major surgery than just replacing the HDD, and I expect that's why it affects the warranty. Here's an article with a tear-down that shows the layout: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...160_Gaming_PC/

As someone who has built my own computers for many years, I've had to realize that, at some point, you just have to accept that you bought a finely-engineered prebuilt system and resist the urge to tinker beyond a certain point. Could you build a great system yourself? Sure. Could you build a system like this one? No. So be happy with what you have. That's the trade-off for having a system as remarkable as this one.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 1005298
Corsair Mint Reputation: 31

Our upgrade instructions should be update pretty soon for the i-series systems. The M.2 is pretty difficult to get to, you might want to look at some of the teardown videos some Youtubers have done.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:37 PM

POST ID # = 1019257
totallyninja Reputation: 10
Default Any luck?

Just got my i160, also very curious about upgrading the M.2 NVMe SSD. Has anyone had any luck yet doing this?

Also - curious as to whether i'd see a benefit gaming if I upgrade the 2tb HDD to an SSD, and use that for game storage? Will I see faster loading times if i keep it on the NVMe SSD vs a SATA SSD?

Thanks

Old 10-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 1020148
Corsair StormShadow Reputation: 10

The M.2 is located on the back of the motherboard for most of our CORSAIR ONE, which mean it required a complete tear down of the internal components, this is NOT recommended, unless you are a veteran builder with a lot of small form factor building experience.

Your game loading time will NOT improve going from an HDD to an SSD.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:22 AM

POST ID # = 1022541
hoehme Reputation: 10

I have just updated the internal M.2 NVMe SSD from the 500 GB default model (in the i160) to a 2 TB Samsung 970 Evo. Works like a charm! There were a few screws (<10) to loosen in the process, but in general the change of the SSD was not difficult. It was just behind the GPU. :-)

Old 11-13-2019, 02:21 PM

POST ID # = 1023835
Spizzi Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoehme View Post
.....There were a few screws (<10) to loosen in the process, but in general the change of the SSD was not difficult. It was just behind the GPU. :-)
Can you expand on the process, steps by chance please?

Old 11-13-2019, 06:24 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair CJ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1023853
Corsair CJ Reputation: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizzi View Post
Can you expand on the process, steps by chance please?
This is a pretty rough guide, but should give you an idea of the process. Be really careful when doing this as your warranty will likely be void if any damage occurs while you attempt this.
  1. Open Up CORSAIR ONE by pressing release button on rear of system and lifting the top fan assembly.
  2. Disconnect top fan.
  3. Remove screws securing side panel to video card side of system. (Side panel has radiator for video card cooling system connected to it, take care to just move this out of the way while you're working on it).
  4. Remove video card (this'll involve a number of screws, take note of size and location as you work around the graphics card). Be careful of any cables connected to the GPU cooler.
  5. Gently remove graphics card (unplug power/PCIe riser cables).
  6. Remove stock M.2 SSD (make sure you backed up your data), keep it safe in case you need to replace the stock SSD for whatever reason.
  7. Install new M.2 SSD (note that if it's brand new, you'll need to install Windows 10 and drivers)
  8. Reinstall graphics card.
  9. Close side panel and secure to chassis.
  10. Reconnect and install fan assembly to top of chassis.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:59 AM

POST ID # = 1024000
Spizzi Reputation: 10

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.