Corsair Community

GA-MA790XT-UD4P And Vengeance 4GB

zingfharn

Hello there!

I have the Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P and was using 2 x CM3X2G1600C9DHX for a gran total of 4GB of RAM.

I'd tweaked the BIOS to run at 1600MHz, and been running this setup quite happily for 3-4 years. No problems.

Today, I went out at lunchtime and picked up 8 gig on a whim. I picked up Vengeance (because, you know, baddass name. Not really. The chap in the shop gave it to me). I asked for some DDR3 1600 Corsair RAM, and that was what I got.

So, went home. Popped it in alongside the old RAM. Didn't past POST. Took it out, checked the bios, had set the voltage up to 1.75V for the old RAM. Dropped the voltage, and dropped the speed back to 1333 MHz. Booted the old ram. Ran Memtest and Prime 95 for a bit to make sure it was all happy, no problems.

Power down, put the Vengeance back in, again, didn't past POST.

Removed both Vengeance, and one CM3 unit, and booted. Fine (I wasn't sure if it needed 2 DIMMs you see). Removed the CM3, popped in a single stick of the vengeance (I ended up trying them both singly). Still nothing. Just a repeated beep at POST and nothing on the video.

Anyone got any thoughts? Could the Vengeance be DOA? Or did I miss something super obvious?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Sure thing. The RAM is CMZ8GZ3M2A16009B

However, I'm a moron, and solved the problem with a little investigation.

I went into advanced settings, and I'd set all the timings manually for the old sticks of RAM. I flipped them to auto (despite the fact they were actually all 9-9-9-24) and it booted up just fine.

I reset the clockspeed to 1600 and left voltage at 1.5V, and things seem happy.

So, thank you for replying so quickly, and apologies for wasting your time.

Sure thing. The RAM is CMZ8GZ3M2A16009B

However, I'm a moron, and solved the problem with a little investigation.

I went into advanced settings, and I'd set all the timings manually for the old sticks of RAM. I flipped them to auto (despite the fact they were actually all 9-9-9-24) and it booted up just fine.

I reset the clockspeed to 1600 and left voltage at 1.5V, and things seem happy.

So, thank you for replying so quickly, and apologies for wasting your time.

Not wasting time at all, glad you got everything running ok.

Archived