Corsair Community

[H100i v2] Loud fans / Hot CPU during boot

houmi

I recently started using my gaming PC for daily use since my MBP died, and I've had a lot of issues.

First I noticed the stock fans were rattling, so I changed both of them w/ ML120s and they were quieter, but I noticed that my system would be very loud on boot and remained hot/loud. CPU Cores would be around 60C upwards 80 and the h100i fan rpm was like 2000 and pump around 2000 (quiet) and it wouldn't cool down the CPUs unless I pushed the pump to performance/extreme (3k) then it will cool down.

I upgraded the firmware on my bios for the Asus motherboard (Asus RoG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA) and that didn't change anything. I do have QFAN disabled, and the CPU fan runs with PWM (100%) and I let corsair link do its work (I don't have the Asus software installed)

Corsair folks told me to move to iCUE but that didn't do anything.

I am starting to think that maybe the pump @ Quiet (2k rpm) is misleading and it's actually running at lower speeds.

So for now I am running the Pump at performance/extreme (3k) so it cools the CPU fast enough.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Coolant temperature (H100i v2 Temp) in iCUE to the right of the cooler picture is the value you need to look at. That is the measure of the cooler's functionality. Most people will run +4-6C above the room temp at idle and see an additional rise of 6-10C at full load, depending on several factors. That keeps most people below 38-40C. If you boot up and are already at that value, then there is likely some kind of flow problem. Pump speed should not matter on that cooler, so if the temps drop when you kick it up one more notch, that does suggest some kind of blockage.

Coolant temperature (H100i v2 Temp) in iCUE to the right of the cooler picture is the value you need to look at. That is the measure of the cooler's functionality. Most people will run +4-6C above the room temp at idle and see an additional rise of 6-10C at full load, depending on several factors. That keeps most people below 38-40C. If you boot up and are already at that value, then there is likely some kind of flow problem. Pump speed should not matter on that cooler, so if the temps drop when you kick it up one more notch, that does suggest some kind of blockage.

I tapped the tube a few times and moved it around and it seems to cool a bit quicker, so it's possible of some kind of blockage. I might have to contact Corsair about this... thanks for pointing this out.

Right now at System idle for H100i v2 info:

Fan (Quiet): 900rpm

Pump (Extreme): 3060 rpm

Temp : 30.60C

----

Fan (Quiet): 900rpm

Pump (Quiet) : 1980 RPM

Temp: 32C

1.4C is not a big difference, however there really shouldn’t be any at change at idle when cpu wattage is less than 25W. I do think you have the beginnings of a partial blockage. You can contact Corsair. Not sure how they will respond before it goes completely bad. Key points are tapping the hoses makes the temp drop. That is definitely not how things are supposed to work.

1.4C is not a big difference, however there really shouldn’t be any at change at idle when cpu wattage is less than 25W. I do think you have the beginnings of a partial blockage. You can contact Corsair. Not sure how they will respond before it goes completely bad. Key points are tapping the hoses makes the temp drop. That is definitely not how things are supposed to work.

Yesterday my computer was in very bad shape, like freezing, etc. So I went to Bios and found out my PC was overclocked to 4.6, it must have been some Eztool I had run before w/o paying attention.

It took me a while to figure out how to reset bios on this motherboard, and finally I was able to do so, once while in the Bios the computer shutdown as the CPU temperature went above 80 degrees.

I have the system running in default bios settings, but in Quiet (pump speed), the system keeps overheating above 40 degree Celsius in idle and I have to push it into performance/extreme, so definitely something going on with the pump.

I filed another ticket with Corsair and hopefully RMA this, if not what other kind of CPU liquid cooler would you recommend ?

8V5lbV4.png

Edited by houmi

• 4 weeks later...