Corsair Community

HD120 RGB and LNP

Trick0502

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll post some pick soon. But, I am 100% sure it is connected correctly. I also tried using a second fan hub with just one fan connected.

If this isn’t working by the end of the day all of this comes out and I’m going with another’s company’s solution.

I’ll post some pick soon. But, I am 100% sure it is connected correctly. I also tried using a second fan hub with just one fan connected.

Have you tried rearranging the fans? Different fans on port 1? The fans work in serial so 1 bad fan can take out the chain.

And how are you sure that it's connected correctly?

If this isn’t working by the end of the day all of this comes out and I’m going with another’s company’s solution.

Up to you.

So ... a couple of things.

1) The wiring looks correct (wires on pin 2 and pin 3). Did you make the cable? There's nothing that you listed that comes with that cable.

2) Do the strips light up?

3) You mentioned the "SP Lighting Controller" connected directly to the fan hub works. The SP-RGB fans are completely different from the HD fans and cannot be mixed. So if that wasn't a typo, that's your problem - you have SP-RGB fans and not HD.

Yes, absolutely, only 2 wires (pin 2 and pin 3). Pin 1 is +5V on both sides and bad things can happen if you connect that.

Now ... you do have the hub plugged in to SATA power, correct? It won't get power from the Lighting Node Pro (see above).

Another question ... what happens if you configure the port with the strips as HD fans? (yes, this will work).

When you tried with the other hub, did you use the same cable or a different cable? Do you have a multimeter and can you check for continuity on the two cables that are connected? You'll need a probe with a fine tip and you can check the silver tabs on the underside of the connectors.

I will do some more testing tonight. It is 100% getting power. If I connect the controller that comes with the hub I can get the fans to light up. When I disconnect the controller from the hub they still say light up. The second I connect the hub to the lnp the fan lights turn off.

OK on the power - I had to ask.

I'm trying to walk through some options to see if we can pinpoint where the issues is so that we can come up with a solution. Please walk through some of my suggestions above. Also, try configuring the HD fans as strips ... does that work (only 5 fans should light, however).

one thing I notice is that I cannot update the lnp. It is stuck at v0.5.104. Can I download the latest firmware?

Right now I am testing with one fan on a different controller. The lighting strips work no matter what channel or setting they are on.

things tested

2 different fan hubs

1 fan connected to port 1 only (with each fan)

2 different cables from hub to lnp

both channels on the lnp

different sata power cables

different usb connectors on the mb for lnp

the strips work no matter what channel they are connected to. they also work no matter what i set the type on (ll,hd,ml,etc).

one thing i cannot get to work is a firmware upgrade on the lnp. it will not update for v0.5.XX. is there a way to force it?

at this point something has to be broke. should i return the fans? the lnp? everything?

Have you done the fans, one at a time, on port 1 of the fan hub?

And do you have a fan hub that is working with a NoPro in another system?

And have you changed the configuration for the channel with the fan hub to strips? Although ... if the strips work when configured as HD fans, I don't think that'll help.

Something is definitely broken. But exactly what is difficult to pin down.

1) The fans are working. Using the HD Push-Button Controller confirms that.

2) The fan hub seems to be working. Again, the push-button controller confirms that.

- though, to note, you said "SP Controller" ... please confirm that was a typo. If the SP controller works, then they are SP fans, which use a completely different protocol than the HD fans.

3) The Node Pro works. The strips confirm that.

As for the update, I had the same issue as you but it finally went yesterday.

Have you done the fans, one at a time, on port 1 of the fan hub?

yes

And do you have a fan hub that is working with a NoPro in another system?

i dont have another lnp to test this with.

And have you changed the configuration for the channel with the fan hub to strips? Although ... if the strips work when configured as HD fans, I don't think that'll help.

ive tried every setting for the fans and they will not light

Something is definitely broken. But exactly what is difficult to pin down.

1) The fans are working. Using the HD Push-Button Controller confirms that.

true

2) The fan hub seems to be working. Again, the push-button controller confirms that.

- though, to note, you said "SP Controller" ... please confirm that was a typo. If the SP controller works, then they are SP fans, which use a completely different protocol than the HD fans.

that was a typo. all fans are hd120.

3) The Node Pro works. The strips confirm that.

true

at this point i am going to return the lnp and get a new one. it is the easiest thing to swap out and test. it also seems most likey. what is really more likely, 6 fans and 2 hubs are bad, or one lnp?

Certainly, it's more likely that one LNP is bad rather than 6 fans and 2 hubs.

However ... if the LNP was bad, the strips wouldn't light up. The strips take the same data stream as the HD fans but also require power from the LNP.

I wonder ... something really crazy here ... configure the channel as 6 LL fans, put a single strip on it and then use the fan hub cable from the strip into the fan hub.

i can try that later. should i be concerned that i cant update the firmware of the lnp?

I wonder ... something really crazy here ... configure the channel as 6 LL fans, put a single strip on it and then use the fan hub cable from the strip into the fan hub.

to be clear

attach a lighting strip to the fan hub

connect the fan hub to the lnp

set that channel as 6 ll fans

see if it lights?

i can try that later. should i be concerned that i cant update the firmware of the lnp?

I think it may be an issue with the CDN. When I downloaded the file separately (using Fiddler), it had the wrong version initially. Then it had the right version. You may still be getting the wrong version from the CDN.

to be clear

attach a lighting strip to the fan hub

connect the fan hub to the lnp

set that channel as 6 ll fans

see if it lights?

Yes. Just make sure that you use the 2-wire Fan Hub wire from the string to the Fan Hub. I know it sounds crazy but it does actually work.

OK. Let me explain.

The Lighting Node Pro has 3 pins. Pin 1 is +5V Power, Pin 2 is Data Out and Pin 3 is Ground.

When connected to the fan hub, Pin 1 (+5V Power) not only isn't needed, but would cause issues. Pin 2 and Pin 3 are connected.

The Fan Hub takes the Data Out signal and passes it to the first fan on the hub. This then lights up and passes the signal on to the second fan on the hub. And so on.

Your Fan Hub does accept the Data Out signal from the HD (and please confirm that it's an HD Controller) Push Button Controller and passes it to the fans. It comes in on the same port.

You've confirmed that the strips are getting the Data Out signal from the Lighting Node Pro.

The only difference between the two is the +5V power. Now ... the strip requires that.

The far end of the strip has the exact same pinout as the Lighting Node Pro. So you take the cable from the fan hub and, rather than plugging it into the Lighting Node Pro, plug it into the strip. Then plug the fan hub cable into the fan hub. If, for some reason, the LNP isn't providing the signal when there's no power draw on the +5V pin but will (obviously) provide it when there is power draw, this should light the fans up.

Now ... connecting a fan hub to a strip does work. I have one of my machines configured this way right now. You'll notice that the end of the strip and the 2-wire fan hub cable connect perfectly.

It's a long shot and I don't think it'll make a difference. But it's one more troubleshooting idea that I had. However, we do know that the strips light up (which means that they are getting the data signal). You will need to configure the channel as LL fans however.

If you aren't sure or are nervous about it ... don't do it. But it works and, because of the keyed connectors, it's pretty difficult to mess up as long as you are using the correct cables.

I am, TBH, still hung up on the "SP Lighting Controller". You insist that they are HD Fans but you haven't cleared up the controller question. If the push-button controller that works says SP Lighting Controller then none of this will work at all. And that's, TBH, kind of a crazy typo as you don't play with all of these different things all the time. A picture of the controller or the back of one of the fans (with the part number) will absolutely clear this up.

Archived