Corsair Community

What happened to the AXi Series?

Nozyspy

Can anyone tell me what happened to the 'top of the line' AXi series?

I have an AX860i which i think i have had for roughly 4 years now (the original one i bought failed very quickly and this is a warranty replacement).

I was looking for to see if Corsair still sold the coloured braided cable packs for this PSU, but not only was i unable to find them, i couldn't find this PSU in their store either. In fact the only AXi series PSUs are 1500w/1600w!

I am going to be commencing some computer upgrades soon, and i assume my PSU is still fine for a few more years?

However if i chose to buy a new one my only choice would seem to be the HXi, and i am unsure if there is any difference in quality between the two types. I only know that the HXi is not digital and so has more limited monitoring abilities (the ability to monitor the power and efficiency is very attractive to me) and that the cables have some kind of in-line capacitor.

Are the coloured braided cable packs still available for the AX860i and will other lower wattage variants of the AXi series be returning in future?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Nozy

I am not aware of any official notice regarding the AX860i/1260i/1500i. However, those models are 7+ years old and all product life cycles eventually come to an end. The 1600i effectively replaced the AX1500i a while back, but it is not really the same direct family as those three. During that time, the "digital PSU" didn't really catch on elsewhere. It does not seem like we are going to move in that direction.

There are several specific professional reviews out there comparing the AX1200i to HX1200i. As the owner of the an AX1200i, I would not recommend you buy a new one at full retail. You may get bored with the power efficiency ratings fairly quickly and it is not something you can stare at and come to a deeper understanding about how your system works. There have been refurbished AXi models out there for low prices and that might be tempting if you have other back up options. If you are a one PSU household, I would look at the HX1200i. There are very few complaints about it.

I am not aware of any official notice regarding the AX860i/1260i/1500i. However, those models are 7+ years old and all product life cycles eventually come to an end. The 1600i effectively replaced the AX1500i a while back, but it is not really the same direct family as those three. During that time, the "digital PSU" didn't really catch on elsewhere. It does not seem like we are going to move in that direction.

There are several specific professional reviews out there comparing the AX1200i to HX1200i. As the owner of the an AX1200i, I would not recommend you buy a new one at full retail. You may get bored with the power efficiency ratings fairly quickly and it is not something you can stare at and come to a deeper understanding about how your system works. There have been refurbished AXi models out there for low prices and that might be tempting if you have other back up options. If you are a one PSU household, I would look at the HX1200i. There are very few complaints about it.

I saw some threads mentioning faults with the AXi models, could it be that they have been discontinued because of that?

Corsair has sold tons of AXi power supplies but I suspect they are pretty much sold out now.

The AXi lineup are slowly being replaced by the new AX line of 80 plus titanium models which are now slowly ramping up.

The HXi are also an older model but suppliers of them are still readily available.

• 3 weeks later...
Corsair has sold tons of AXi power supplies but I suspect they are pretty much sold out now.

The AXi lineup are slowly being replaced by the new AX line of 80 plus titanium models which are now slowly ramping up.

The HXi are also an older model but suppliers of them are still readily available.

I thought the 'i' versions were better because being digital they supplied cleaner power? I have to confess i am a bit confused by Corsair's PSU lineup at the moment.

I will be doing some computer upgrades soon, is it even worth replacing a 4 year old 860 AXi, or can i expect it to be rock solid for a few more years yet?

My AX860i was faulty so Corsair sent me an HX1000i which is still widely available. The HXi series are 80 plus platinum and the are less costly which is popular.

The HXi series have also been around a while but the are designed different and I do not see may issues with them.

Can anyone tell me what happened to the 'top of the line' AXi series?

I have an AX860i which i think i have had for roughly 4 years now (the original one i bought failed very quickly and this is a warranty replacement).

I was looking for to see if Corsair still sold the coloured braided cable packs for this PSU, but not only was i unable to find them, i couldn't find this PSU in their store either. In fact the only AXi series PSUs are 1500w/1600w!

I am going to be commencing some computer upgrades soon, and i assume my PSU is still fine for a few more years?

However if i chose to buy a new one my only choice would seem to be the HXi, and i am unsure if there is any difference in quality between the two types. I only know that the HXi is not digital and so has more limited monitoring abilities (the ability to monitor the power and efficiency is very attractive to me) and that the cables have some kind of in-line capacitor.

Are the coloured braided cable packs still available for the AX860i and will other lower wattage variants of the AXi series be returning in future?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Nozy

I just go this one, isn't this it?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020008-NA

I thought the 'i' versions were better because being digital they supplied cleaner power? I have to confess i am a bit confused by Corsair's PSU lineup at the moment.

I will be doing some computer upgrades soon, is it even worth replacing a 4 year old 860 AXi, or can i expect it to be rock solid for a few more years yet?

No, the "i" versions can be monitored. That's really the only difference.

• 4 months later...
No, the "i" versions can be monitored. That's really the only difference.

I did some more researching and found this old post here: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/blog/HXi_vs_AXi

It looks like the AXi series has fully digital power regulation whereas the HXi does not?

Does anyone else have any more thoughts on this? It seems the AX series is now only for extremely high wattage (1500w +).