Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator DDR2 8GB on Asus P5Q

too

I have 4x2 sticks of Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066Mhz on a MOBO Asus P5Q.

The mobo supports memory with 1200Mhz on DDR2.

The problem is that I can´t get the memories run less them 5-6-6-18-3-52-6-3 on 1066Mhz. If I change any of those the system won´t post.

The best I could get was these timings with manual settings on:

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.24

DRAM Voltage: 2.10

NB Voltage: 1.12

SB Voltage: 1.10

Yes I´m a noob in O.C. I´ve been reading a lot but I still don´t know what should I do to get them running faster and stable.

I would like lower latencies or higher frequencies, I´m afraid to burn the sticks though, since I can´t measure the temps of them.

How far can I go with all this ram on my mobo and how can I do it?

Thanks!!!!

It is VERY unlikely that you will get the memory to run faster than 1066 using 4 modules due to the load on the memory controller. What you are describing is typically not a memory issue. You "might" be able to get a bit more frequency if you increase your NB Voltage to the 1.25v - 1.35v range. But, there is no guarantee since you are far exceeding the chipset specification.

Yes, two kits os two ram modules each, total of 4 modules of 2GB each.

Could I fry the chipset? Is it possible to lower the latencies instead? How about increasing the ram voltage, would that do any good?

Thanks!

Could I fry the chipset? Is it possible to lower the latencies instead? How about increasing the ram voltage, would that do any good?

Thanks!

Increasing the RAM voltage will not help. It's not the RAM that is under extra stress. It's the memory controller trying to run 4 modules.

Yes, two kits os two ram modules each, total of 4 modules of 2GB each.

Thanks!

You won't fry the chipset unless you do something rather insane to it.

And a sign of a memory controller being overworked would be frequent blue screens and crashes. Running four sticks of RAM increases the electrical load on the memory controller versus running only two sticks. And if the load gets increased, there will be less room to increase the DIMM voltage without risking overheating of the chipset.

And lowering the latencies would make it worse, not better: The lower the latency numbers, the tighter the timings. You will need to increase the latencies (also known as "loosening the timings") in order to increase stability. Also, the official JEDEC specs for DDR2 memory dictate a maximum of only one DIMM per channel for DDR2-1066 memory. If you use four sticks (or two sticks per channel), you will have to lower the memory speed to DDR2-800 or DDR2-667 and 5-5-5-18 (at DDR2-800) or 5-5-5-15 (at DDR2-667) in order to run stably.

You won't fry the chipset unless you do something rather insane to it.

.... you will have to lower the memory speed to DDR2-800 or DDR2-667 and 5-5-5-18 (at DDR2-800) or 5-5-5-15 (at DDR2-667) in order to run stably.

Thanks!

I used to have a lot BSOD problems with 1066Mhz using Asus Six Engine, I had to clean it alway from my Windows to use it stably. I think that explains something since it messes with the voltages, frequencies and everything.

Actually I´ve tried even 1.3v with 2.2v on the modules, but no luck!

I didn´t know that was such an issue about how many modules you use to run OC, I just touth it was about the frequency.

I tried with 1002Mhz, 1066Mhz, 1111Mhz, 4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-15, 4-5-5-15, in so many combinations I just got tired to restart my machine :sigh!:

It´s on 891Mhz 5-5-5-18-CR2 right now. Is this or 800mhz on auto or 1066Mhz at 5-6-6-18 with those settings, anything else just wont boot here.

At those speeds no difference noticeable.

So what would be the fast stable setup I can get?

Does anyone has a similar setup to help me?

I just got BSOD at 891Mhz 5-5-5-18, 2.1v, everything else on auto! These settings were faster, but could not hold up.

Really I don´t know what else I can do.

Will the memories take 1200Mhz with the timings more loose, like 6-6-6-18 or so? How much voltage should I put?

I know I´m being persistent, repetitive and boring but I'm not getting anywhere here and I´m trying this for a while already.

Thanks again for all the help!

• 1 month later...

Best I could do so far, is this: 5-6-6-17-CR2 1066Mhz

http://img9.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/7225/72254390d18a72249c5ed871528a5ef8bd501c2.jpg

http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/7262/7262633ad0633408bb84f76a695b1141bee1323.jpg

http://img9.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/7262/7262639d54efafed15886da7cd30e36ac0d578d.jpg

It´s really an improvement in speed, but I´ve found today this article ( http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/618/DDR2-Memory-Roundup-Autumn-2007/4 ) and the ram is running faster at 1111Mhz with 2.4v at 4-4-4-12-2T. Could I run mine at 1111Mhz with 2.4v at 5-5-5-16 or something faster then i´m using now?

Thanks for the help!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the help, and really sorry to take such a long time to answer it.

Problem solved!

Here is the current settings:

DDR2 1066 5-6-6-17 - 2.1v

NB Voltage - 1.12

SB Voltage - 1.10

Memory OC Charger - Enable

FSB Termination Voltage - 1.24

Load Line Calibration - Enable

CPU Margin Enhancement - Performance Mode

Best so far it runs at 1099Mhz with the CPU OCed at 2709 with Asus EPU. I believe it can go further but I´m not having the time and patience to try.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Archived