Corsair Community

Memory on Asus P6X58D Premium and Core i7 980

Gustave

Hi there,

It's starting to come together. Just received the Corsair Obsidian 800D and an Asus P6X58D Premium (BIOS 703) motherboard. The mobo is going to house an Intel Core i7 980X processor. Now I read in the Asus manual that, due to Intel specifications, DDR3 1600 and XMP memory can only accept one DIMM per channel. But I'd like top performing 12GB of memory in my, going to be, Win7 64b machine.

Can anyone tell me what memory I should/could use? Can I have 6 x 2GB of Dominator memory?

The memoryfinder inicates that I can use CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 or HX3X12G1600C9 are these the fastest and stable options?

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this question has already been answered and I didn't find that answer.

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit skeptical of this mobo and this kit CMD12GX3M6A1600C8. I had installed both and they seem to work fine under xmp. I had an i7-950 and had the box going at 4.2 GHz.

After a month it stopped booting - would get blue screen right after win 7 asked for password. Machine will boot with a default (non-xmp) settings but now won't even boot with the basic XMP settings.

I read in the p6x58d premium user guide that the board does NOT support more than 1 DIMM per channel using XMP or 1600 MHz. Waiting for corsair to respond to this fact - I wonder if over time I damaged the Mobo. I bought the kit since Corsair lists it as compatible with this Mobo.

I'm a bit skeptical of this mobo and this kit CMD12GX3M6A1600C8. I had installed both and they seem to work fine under xmp. I had an i7-950 and had the box going at 4.2 GHz.

After a month it stopped booting - would get blue screen right after win 7 asked for password. Machine will boot with a default (non-xmp) settings but now won't even boot with the basic XMP settings.

I read in the p6x58d premium user guide that the board does NOT support more than 1 DIMM per channel using XMP or 1600 MHz. Waiting for corsair to respond to this fact - I wonder if over time I damaged the Mobo. I bought the kit since Corsair lists it as compatible with this Mobo.

That's also the limitation of the memory controller on the CPU. Technically, no memory controller supports more than one double-rank DIMM per channel at speeds higher than DDR3-1333.

Clear your CMOS, reboot with a single module and set to XMP, and also disable Legacy USB Support in the BIOS temporarily for testing purposes. Then, test each module individually for 3-5 passes each with Memtest 4.10 which is linked on the left side of this page.

Will do but is the mobo board manual correct in saying 2 dimms per channel is an unsupported configuration?

As Yellowbeard stated, there is no guarantee that two DIMMs per channel would work reliably or at all at speeds faster than Intel's official maximum of DDR3-1066 speed on LGA1366 platforms.

Archived