Corsair Community

Fan high speed when connected to pump

Dvlsnightmare91

Just got the H80i v2 and have everything installed with pump connected to CPU Fan, the fans connected to the two connectors from the pump and usb cable on the motherboard. When I turn on the pc the fans speed is high and get a cpu error of fan 90B. But when I connect the fans to CPU Fans on the motherboard and the pump to CPU Pump everything works fine but no lights on the emble of the cooler. I'm not really worried about the lights not working but more curious as to why its not working like it should when all connected correctly? I've also read the i dont have to connect the usb if I don't plan on using the software so is fine if I disconnect it? Thanks all in advance.

You may want to install the software temporarily, either to set lighting or your preferred fan curve. However, you may have a problem before that.

CPU fan error means the bios doesn’t see a device on the other end of cpu fan. In effect, it didn’t see the pump on the end of cpu fan and that was a warning it wasn’t running. Assuming it now works on the pump header that is preset at 100%, the most likely cause is you didn’t set your CPU fan header to 100%/disabled in the BIOS and the pump didn’t start. The liquid in the unit rapidly heated and the fans responded defensively.

You can fix this two ways. Move the pump back to cpu fan and disable the controls, lock it at 100%, ‘Full Speed’, or whatever way your motherboard describes the full 12v signal state.

The other option is to leave the pump on the pump header already locked at 100%, move the fans back to the splitter off the pump, and that will require you to disable the CPU Fan warning system in the bios. Unfortunately the exact method of doing that varies by brand.