Corsair Community

CORSAIR CV550 electric buzz

Raduchu

Hi,

I have this PSU, CORSAIR CV550, for about 6 weeks now and yesterday it started to make a buzzing electrical noise, exactly like in this video:

[ame]

[/ame]

*If you don't believe me, I can upload myself one video with that exact noise.

I plugged it directly into the wall socket, the buzzing remains the same. Then I plugged it into a UPS, still the sound remains. It is happening randomly, even if the PC is turned off or on. The thing is, it doesn't make a constant noise and if I send it to the warranty, it might get returned because "it's working fine" when clearly, it is not.

The noise/buzz is very randomly, it can last for 20 seconds or for 2 seconds. In fact, this morning when I woke up I heard the buzzing as well, then the PC was turned off for a couple of hours.

Can you help me?

Thank you!

• Corsair Employee

The noise/buzz is very randomly, it can last for 20 seconds or for 2 seconds. In fact, this morning when I woke up I heard the buzzing as well, then the PC was turned off for a couple of hours.

Can you help me?

Thank you!

Even if a PC is "off", as long as the PSU is plugged into a live outlet and the switch on the back is in the "on" position, the PSU is still on and getting power.

The noise shouldn't be any indication that something is failing. It's just annoying.

Is it so loud that it's bothering you or are you just being cautious?

I don't think they'll bounce the PSU back to you saying there's nothing wrong with it. But I do fear that, given the same conditions, a second unit may do the same thing.

It's loud enough to scare me a little bit.

Power supply OFF, power cable off, not plugged into the socket ->plug power cable in the PSU, plug the other end of the power cable in the socket, turn on the socket -> that buzz like in that video starts.

Yesterday after 30 mins of playing Project Cars 2 it started buzzing and not stopping for a good period of time. Today, after 4h of GTA V, nothing..