Corsair Community

LL120 Fans - Lighting Animations frozen on certain fans.

Discunnaye

I bought the Light loop series fans and attempted to use them in conjunction with some of my previous corsair fans. I quickly discovered that this was not going to work as the fans on the fan hub needed to be the same type.

I recently purchased more light light fans and now have a total of 6 Light Loop Fans. The fans work as intended upon startup and then after a while the animation selected gets "stuck" on certain fans. The animation will freeze and the solid colour it got stuck on will not change no matter what animation I choose. Only restarting the PC fixes this. It is not unique to 1 fan the issue occurs randomly on all fans. Most of the time on all 5 fans except slot 1. sometimes only 1/10 of 1 fan is affected and the rest of the fan continues the animation. ( see attached picture most fans stuck on blue )

I have a similar issue before I got all 6 light loop fans but assumed that this was a incompatibility issue. issue is still persisting after purchasing additional light loop fans. Since purchasing more Light Loop Fans I have clean installed windows. Never installed Corsair Link ( or any other lighting program asus, msi, etc.) Installed the fans and clean installed iCue software and updated the firmware on my Lighting node Pro.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions i would really like the full lighting effects of these fans to work as I spent a bit of time and money getting them.

IMG_1047.thumb.jpg.51da82119b7ca278b896818701a44f72.jpg

Edited by Discunnaye

This is usually caused by a loss of control signal. What I'd suggest is rearranging the fans on the hub. In particular, it could be fan #1 or fan #2 - the control signal is chained from one fan to the next so 1 bad fan can take the rest out.

Ok i understand. currently fan number 6 is stuck on the rest of the fans are operating as per normal. what would be the best way to trouble shoot which fan is failing. as readjusting nodes 1 and 2 would not really resolve the issue with fan 6. i also have a spare node pro and 6 port fan hub. do you suggest i replace these or are you adamant that the fans are the root cause?

I can try that. yeah the issue is not consistent to any particular fan. sometimes its 2 through 5. sometimes its 6 only. other times its the bottom half of 3 and the top half of 3 functions as expected. I will go ahead and swap 5 and 6. Because 6 seems to be the most consistent issue.

EDIT.

Swapping fan port 5 and 6. the second last fan which is now in port 6 has no lights at all. and the one on port 5 is frozen.

Edited by Discunnaye

Well after coming to the conclusion that fan 6 was the issue. i removed fan six and did not plug it in. The result i now only have fans 2 and 3 working with lighting and the original issue still persists. the animation is stuck on only 1/3 of fan 3 will update the animation. I find it very hard to believe that 2 or more of my fans are faulty. what are your thoughts?

Edit

Are earlier build light loop fans incompatible with newer build fans. The purchases were 8 months apart for the newer fans?

Edited by Discunnaye

So ... did you hot swap the fans? Personally, I've never had it happen but the Corsair folks have indicated that it could cause issues.

But let's look at this. Now that you've removed fan 6, how is iCUE configured? What happens if you reconfigure it for 6 LL Fans?

And no, earlier build shouldn't be any different than newer ones.

Yes At this time I am only moving the Positions in the fan hub not physically moving the fans themselves. I also replaced the fan hub out of curiosity as you suspected issue still persists.

Yeah i reconfigured iCue software each time for the appropriate amount of fans and even restarted but the animations were still stuck and certain fans were not working.

Yes I did swap 5 and 6 and as stated I lost lighting to fans 1,4,5 and 6. Which led me to believe that 5 and 6 were not the issue.

Thank you for confirming that the fans are compatible.

I did more troubleshooting and in the end I have taken out both Fans 1 and 2 and removed these from the Hub all together. As unlikely as it sounds I believe both of them to be faulty as I was having issues with them the second they were introduced.

So to be absolutely sure I am going to verify that I do not receive any faults for several days with the 4 fans running as is.

Last question I have is technically if I put the faulty fan at the back of the chain it shouldn't affect the rest right only that fan at the back should have issue right?

• 2 months later...
Yeah I am having a similar issue. Occasionally the 5th and 6th fans will freeze or glitch out. I have switched positions in the hub and the issue persists, I have also switched out the entire hub. I'm starting to think I have 2 faulty fans

Yeah after a fair while of testing i came to the conclusion that I had 2 faulty fans. Shame the warranty process requires you to ship back all 3 fans the hub and the node pro. no options for partial warranty and its return before replace which mean you would be without fans for a while. I ended up just buying some single fans to fix my issue less hassle over all. My recommendation to you would be to run your unit for 24 - 48 hours with fans 1 - 4 ( or whatever applies in your situation ) running and see if you have any lighting errors. Repeat this process until you can confirm which fans are NOT faulty. Do this step first so you can get a good baseline to work off. Once you have determined what fans are working you can reintroduce 1 fan at a time and verify the faults. don't try look for the fault just verify the working ones and work from there. That worked for me and helped me determine that it was two fans and not just one. From my many hours of experience with this ( frustration) it is best to put the suspected faulty fan at the back of the loop as to not affect your other fans. Good luck. Edited by Discunnaye
More Information