Corsair Community

H115i Platinum: USB reconnect every now and then, lighting goes crazy

momorious

They are continuing to investigate and work on the disconnect issue. That said, it's far less common now than it once was.

As for your other issues - that sounds like a classic issue of not managing internal case temperatures properly. With an air cooler, your CPU is dumping heat into the case. As motherboard-controlled fans are typically controlled by CPU temp, this works. HOwever, with liquid cooling, your CPU isn't doing this - it's your GPU that is the main heat source inside the case. And the case fans aren't reacting to that at all. The result is that heat from the GPU builds up in the case if you don't manage it properly. And if your AIO is configured as exhaust, that GPU heat goes straight through the radiator, heating up your coolant. Finally, with no A/C, your minimum possible temperature is higher - you cannot have any component cooler than the room ambient temperature. So a custom curve is definitely in order for you. Look at the Liquid Cooler FAQ for some guidance on how to set the fan curves.

And set the pump back to balanced. It does make a difference.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are continuing to investigate and work on the disconnect issue. That said, it's far less common now than it once was.

As for your other issues - that sounds like a classic issue of not managing internal case temperatures properly. With an air cooler, your CPU is dumping heat into the case. As motherboard-controlled fans are typically controlled by CPU temp, this works. HOwever, with liquid cooling, your CPU isn't doing this - it's your GPU that is the main heat source inside the case. And the case fans aren't reacting to that at all. The result is that heat from the GPU builds up in the case if you don't manage it properly. And if your AIO is configured as exhaust, that GPU heat goes straight through the radiator, heating up your coolant. Finally, with no A/C, your minimum possible temperature is higher - you cannot have any component cooler than the room ambient temperature. So a custom curve is definitely in order for you. Look at the Liquid Cooler FAQ for some guidance on how to set the fan curves.

And set the pump back to balanced. It does make a difference.

Thanks a bunch! I'll change it back to balanced and definitely check the Liquid Cooler FAQ.

H115i platinum owner. ICUE refuses to show the device yet windows 10 and usbdeview show and label the device as h115i platinum.

I’m very first boot the RGBs lit and the AIO showed in iCUE. It had a FW update. Update failed over and over. I rebooted PC. Bye bye AIO showing in iCUE

H115i platinum owner. ICUE refuses to show the device yet windows 10 and usbdeview show and label the device as h115i platinum.

I’m very first boot the RGBs lit and the AIO showed in iCUE. It had a FW update. Update failed over and over. I rebooted PC. Bye bye AIO showing in iCUE

I have the same problem -- have had my H115i pro platinum rgb for about a week, went to update the firmware yesterday, it failed and ever since the AIO is no longer in iCUE, radiator fans at max speed (but cpu temp is okay, pump seems to be working) and I keep getting USB disconnect every 30s-1min.

Any idea?

• 5 weeks later...

Yesterday I installed my H115i RGB Platinum and iCUE... After 1 day building my computer and a lot of hours config SO and software, after this iCUE said me that H115i have a new firmware. After some minutes os update... iCUE said me a message that have some isuee and retry after. I try again with same message.

After this, every some minutes, my computer have a disconnect USB sound, fans at max speed, green and blue light in pump... so with good temps but this problem...

Less than 1 day!!!!

I see H115i in USBDeview

attachment.php?attachmentid=36440&stc=1&d=1567113475

I try disconnect & connect again wires, unistall and install software... All day lost trying recovery H115i...

:wtfman:

• 1 month later...

I fixed he rgb blip and annoying windows notification by changing the cpu fan settings in the BIOS settings on my msi gaming plus MB.

I one-click selected PWM fan type setting for the CPU FAN (changes the fans power settings to PULSE WIDTH MODULATION) and that stopped the issue. What prompted me to do this : I noticed the rpm reading on my cpu fan (corsair pump driver was 0 rpm, as soon as I switched over to PWM type it bumped to 1200RPM.

IF YOU'RE HAVING THIS RGB BLIP PROBLEM YOUR CPU PUMP MAY NOT ACTUALLY BE OPERATING AND YOUR CPU MAY FAIL!

From what I gather, the usb power connector for the cpu pump (thicker cable) only provides power to the pump and does not actually control the rate of flow for the pump. this control is prompted by temperature readings from the motherboard and gives feedback to the 4 prong cpu cooler connector that plugs into the thinner wires coming out of the Corsair cooler head. Typically the factory cpu fan always comes on immediately at power up, however the low variable output may not be enough to get the Corsair cooler pump going. PWM is also ironically the preferred electrical current signal method to control dimming of RGB LEDs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm currently running the latest firmware on my v1.01.15, however I'm still encountering this issue with my brand new h115i cooler.

Check this video:

[ame]

[/ame]

For now I managed to solve this issue by disabling RGB on my fan.

I'd still like to solve this issues root cause though.

For me it only seems to happen once the fans hit a certain speed, so it feels like it has something to do with the block using too much power or something?

Devedse

Edited by Devedse

Hi All,

I am gearing up for another build (Ryzen 3K this time) and am wondering about several things.

1 - Can someone confirm the H115i Platinum is using a CoolIt pump?

2 - Is this USB connect/disconnect issue resolved? It does not seem like it is. Is it confirmed that this is caused by flaky AsMedia USB controller on the MOBO and is it resolved by using an NZXT internal USB hub? Does this problem occur if the USB connector is plugged into a Commander Pro USB port?

3 - Did Corsair ever state on this forum that they identified the problem and that they have a solution? The last post from Corsair I see in this thread is from Corsair Mike saying he would post the findings of the "cooling team" "the moment they give him the go ahead". That post is dated July 14, 2019, so over 3 months ago...

4 - What is going on with iCue alerting that a firmware update is available, and then attempting to load an older firmware version and /or bricking the pump communication?

5 - How are these performing with Ryzen 3K CPUs? From the install guide it looks like the H115i Platinum ships with a split bracket for AMD but I have read several reviews (elsewhere) that said it does not com with an AMD bracket anymore. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any info about these concerns.

My H100I Platinum SE's pump LED's have started flickering to orange when they are set to a white static colour, I'm not noticing any disconnects though.

Is this ICUE being rubbish or a hardware issue?

I had a similar problem with my H100i Platinum. The RGB lighting on the pump head would flicker and degrade over time to darker Colors no matter if I had the lighting set to the default rainbow or arc or plain static. I would reinstall iCue and that would fix the problem for maybe a day or so before the flickering/colour dim would start again.

I have no background in computer building, but after a lot of research and trouble shooting I came across a post saying the pumps need a CONSTANT 12v supply of power. I had the AIO powered by a SATA cable that was also powering something else(don’t remember what it was). Once I took the AIO off that SATA cable and gave it its own personal cable with nothing else attached, the problem went away...for about 3ish days, then started happening again, but less than before. So I figured the AIO’s RGB light flicker and dim problem must have something to do with not getting a consistent 12v at all times. After more research I realized that Asus Mobo’s(I’m using the Asus Prime z390-a motherboard)have this thing called Q-fan control in the Bios that automatically adjusts fan speed and more importantly voltage to the AIO. I went into the Bios and shut that sucker off and the colour flicker/dim has been stable for about 5 days. So I’m pretty sure the issue is resolved but here’s hoping!

Hopefully that’s all your problem is and you get it figured out!

• 2 weeks later...
I had a similar problem with my H100i Platinum. The RGB lighting on the pump head would flicker and degrade over time to darker Colors no matter if I had the lighting set to the default rainbow or arc or plain static. I would reinstall iCue and that would fix the problem for maybe a day or so before the flickering/colour dim would start again.

I have no background in computer building, but after a lot of research and trouble shooting I came across a post saying the pumps need a CONSTANT 12v supply of power. I had the AIO powered by a SATA cable that was also powering something else(don’t remember what it was). Once I took the AIO off that SATA cable and gave it its own personal cable with nothing else attached, the problem went away...for about 3ish days, then started happening again, but less than before. So I figured the AIO’s RGB light flicker and dim problem must have something to do with not getting a consistent 12v at all times. After more research I realized that Asus Mobo’s(I’m using the Asus Prime z390-a motherboard)have this thing called Q-fan control in the Bios that automatically adjusts fan speed and more importantly voltage to the AIO. I went into the Bios and shut that sucker off and the colour flicker/dim has been stable for about 5 days. So I’m pretty sure the issue is resolved but here’s hoping!

Hopefully that’s all your problem is and you get it figured out!

Dude I have an Asus motherboard too so I'll see if your solution works for me, the sata cable is only powering the AIO.

Well it's now Tuesday evening and I've had no flickering since I disabled Q Fan on Saturday so thank you very much!

Edited by DeafSpacker

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All,

I am gearing up for another build (Ryzen 3K this time) and am wondering about several things.

3 - Did Corsair ever state on this forum that they identified the problem and that they have a solution? The last post from Corsair I see in this thread is from Corsair Mike saying he would post the findings of the "cooling team" "the moment they give him the go ahead". That post is dated July 14, 2019, so over 3 months ago...

Avoid any Corsair product that relays on iCue.

• 7 months later...

So a fun few days "fixing" this issue. The worst bit of the issue for me was the constant USB connect and disconnect sound. (I know this can be disabled but wanted to fix the issue rather than ignore it). Also the H100i was flickering and going back to default rainbow at times.

I have a H100i PLATINUM & AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Core Socket AM4 3.6GHz CPU Processor

Originally the 12v to the cpu fan fixed the issue for a day. Next day it came back. So I had to change my H100i to a static color.

It's fixed the issue so far? I notice the issue seemed to occur mostly during higher cpu usage such a loading in a game or running a game.

Doom 2016 has been my test software and with the static color it's not making a noise or flickering.

I left my pc on to download stuff overnight and did hear one random USB noise during the night or maybe I was just dreaming it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It would be nice to Corsair to give us some more info on what is going on. Is this something we just have to deal with going forth? Is this a fix in the works but don't know ETA? Communication would help.

I've invested quiet a bit into having a pc centred around the iCue software. I'd like some sort of answer even if it's not what I want to hear.

Edited by HalcyonDtier

Avoid any Corsair product that relays on iCue.

Hmmm, is the USB reconnects still an issue for iCue together with H115i or finally solved?

My h115 platinum works perfectly fine (20 months) without iCue running everything connected to mobo but I am very curious if this issue is solved because then I would give iCue a final chance.

This post is a bit interesting...

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1022650&postcount=585

USB disconnects being caused by flaky AsMedia USB controller on the mobo? Is this the reason? Solvable by using NZXT Internal USB Hub or similar products?

Edited by makatech

• 2 weeks later...
What will happen - and I've seen this over and over again with various devices - is that it will "appear" to work. But there will come a time when both devices access the cooler at the same time. Without iCUE running, the service is pinging the device less frequently. But it's still doing it. So it'll still happen. Randomly.

Aright here we are 2+ years later, and this cooler still has issues with disconnecting, but this specific post seems to pinpoint my particular issue. I have a Logitech G510s and run MSI Afterburner with HWinfo for system info on the LCD display. I was having the constant disconnects using any type of animated light setting, and scoured this entire thread until I came across the above post. Going into the Afterburner Settings > Monitoring and then in Active hardware monitoring graphs I disabled HWinfo and closed HWinfo from the taskbar.

It's only been about 15 minutes but I have my H115i, Vengeance RGB Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus HERO XI and an LED strip on full speed Spiral Rainbow/Rainbow Channel without any disconnects so far, and I have Steam running.

At least for me, disabling/closing HWinfo did the trick, so it sounds like this cooler/firmware/software can't handle too many programs communicating with it. The reason I went for this cooler were the RGBs and the fact that it's 280mm instead of 240mm, but after all this I'm very tempted to return it for a model compatible with Aura Sync since I prefer some of the exclusive effects offered by Asus. I rather enjoy being able to monitor my cooler from my keyboard LCD screen, and use a cool color effect at the same time. For those of you who can live without HWinfo or other software monitoring your AIO, this might be the only fix in sight if you want to use a color effect.

• 3 weeks later...

Have there been any updates to this? I just bought the H115i last week and I seem to have to keep the lights on static in order for it not to keep disconnecting, even now with a more recent iCue version.

*Edit*

It seems that I have the same issues as some people before me, where running HWinfo64 will cause my RGB lights on the H115i to disconnect randomly (and rather frequently). Turning HWinfo64 off stops it from happening. But what can I do to fix this issue? I like to keep HWinfo64 on so I can keep an eye on my temps.

Edited by chardop
additional information

It seems that I have the same issues as some people before me, where running HWinfo64 will cause my RGB lights on the H115i to disconnect randomly (and rather frequently). Turning HWinfo64 off stops it from happening. But what can I do to fix this issue? I like to keep HWinfo64 on so I can keep an eye on my temps.
More than one software trying to access the sensors at the same time will cause the problem. To still be able to use HWInfo while iCue is active, you'll have to prevent the former to read the sensors of the H115i. To do this, start HWInfo64, go to Settings, Safety and untick "CorsairLink and Asetek Support". This will stop HWInfo from trying to read the H115i's sensors. You might have to restart the software before the changes will take.

On a side note, to prevent other issues with iCue, you can also disable it from Windows startup and only manually start iCue if you want to change fan curves/speeds or RGB lighting. Unless you really need to keep iCue running for some of the Advanced features of iCue (non-Hardware lighting, support for Corsair keyboards and mice, etc.). iCue also has high CPU usage so not having it run in the background may be preferable.