Corsair Community

Question concerning Corsair's Lightning node pro

stonygman

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the RGB craze and I'm desperate need to have disco lightning in my apartment.

I'm planning to start a new build and the case I chose to use is CORSAIR CRYSTAL 280X RGB Micro-ATX Case. In the description it says that it includes a Lighting Node PRO and Two CORSAIR LL120 RGB fans. I plan on installing my 240mm radiator at the top and purchase 2 Corsair LL140 RGB fans.

My dilema is that I initially thought on buying an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING and pair it with a ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 (I purchased it already) just to discover that the motherboard shockingly does not have an RGB header.

My question is (I'm sorry if it's dumb), how will I be able to sync the LL fans so they can be detected and manage the RGB effects in iCUE? Would I need to buy an RGB controller of some sort? I'm confused lol.

Thank you in advance!

All of the Corsair RGB will go through the Lighting Node Pro that comes with the case. You do not need (or want) a specific motherboard RGB header. Those are used for tying in LED strips with Asus' Aura RGB software, which is a very basic interface. You will want it installed to deal with on board motherboard LEDs and the same for the GPU (if it has any), but that program can run concurrently with iCUE.

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the RGB craze and I'm desperate need to have disco lightning in my apartment.

I'm planning to start a new build and the case I chose to use is CORSAIR CRYSTAL 280X RGB Micro-ATX Case. In the description it says that it includes a Lighting Node PRO and Two CORSAIR LL120 RGB fans. I plan on installing my 240mm radiator at the top and purchase 2 Corsair LL140 RGB fans.

My dilema is that I initially thought on buying an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING and pair it with a ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 (I purchased it already) just to discover that the motherboard shockingly does not have an RGB header.

My question is (I'm sorry if it's dumb), how will I be able to sync the LL fans so they can be detected and manage the RGB effects in iCUE? Would I need to buy an RGB controller of some sort? I'm confused lol.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you very much for the detailed info!

Even though the motherboard does not have an RGB header, I could still make it work with the edited diagram below:

HTNafYs.png

Unless I want to control the fans RPM aside from the RGB lightning, then I'll need to buy the Commander pro instead.

I think I got it!

All of the Corsair RGB will go through the Lighting Node Pro that comes with the case. You do not need (or want) a specific motherboard RGB header. Those are used for tying in basic strips with Asus' Aura RGB software, which is a very basic interface. You will want it installed to deal with on board motherboard LEDs and the same for the GPU (if it has any), but that program can run concurrently with iCUE.

Thank you! This was very helpful.

sorry to bump the post ,i can't find the option to post a new thread

i only have a simple Yes or No question , do you need the node pro with ll fans or can you use the Corsair / Fan LED controller

My problem began when i had the idea to buy two LL140's thinking that i don't want the pack ,cuase i dint want more cables and gadgets to avoid more cable management, of course corsair has a proprietary RGB connector which i later found out , i said fine i will get the hub and i will be in business ,wrong again i have to cable to connect this thing to the motherboard so now i am left with either getting a node pro or the controller the second choice is better for me 1 because it costs less 2 because i need the usb header for my front i/o ,so will it work or will i be banging my head against the wall again?

You need either the Node Pro or the Commander Pro. If by "Corsair / Fan LED controller", you mean the Commander Pro, then yes, that'll work.

Check out the RGB FAQ that's linked in my signature. That should tell you all you need.

The fan complement in the 280X has always bothered me a little. With the two 140mm fans and Lighting Node Pro costing less than the three 120mm fan kit, one would think they would be in the case - but instead it comes with two 120mm fans...

Did someone forget that the "280" in the name was supposed to mean 280mm (i.e., 2x 140mm)?

Archived