Corsair Community

New GPU + Load = system reboot

Wrycu

Hey all,

I recently upgraded my graphics card from an NVIDIA GTX 680 to an NVIDIA GTX 980. When I play GPU-intensive games, the system will reboot without any warning. I've disabled automatic restart for Windows, but it still reboots without warning. Additionally, I grabbed a dump analyzer and tried using that - reported no dumps. I even got two of my PSUs modular PCIe cables and tried swapping those in, to no avail.

Any idea what could be causing this? The only thing I see in the Windows event logs is a kernel warning about losing power ("The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."). As my specs indicate, I have an 850W HX850, so it shouldn't be power.

You would likely get better assistance on the gpu forum..

however Id personally would start by using a stock bios with out any over clocking settings and make sure gpu drivers are current with stock settings...

Oh, I posted here because I saw this and this seems like a similar issue ...though I did only read the first page.

BIOS is stock (only change was to enable RAID), and GPU drivers are from 2014/12/23, since that's when I installed the new GPU. All settings stock.

Thanks for the advice, wytnyt. I posted in the EVGA graphics cards forums, and they have all pointed at a failing PSU. I'll give it a few days before actually sending the PSU back in case any of you have a different idea.

• Corsair Employee

First and foremost, double, triple check those power connections. Also make sure the card is FULLY seated into the PCIe slot.

850W is plenty of power, but if there's something wrong with the power supply like the voltage drops too much when the graphics card requires more power, the VRMs on the graphics card might not be able to regulate anymore and the PC reboots (although I have to admit that a hard lock is usually the symptom, but anything's possible).

Of course, the other possibility is just a bad card since that's the only parts that changed and an 850W *should* be enough and an HX is a good enough quality PSU to where the voltages *shouldn't* be dropping that much.... anything is possible.

• 2 months later...

I recently had this same issue and had to register here to make it known and to see if I could get help here as well. I also switched from an EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB card to an EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 4GB card, and ran into issues. I've done full operating system clean and reinstall, as well as all the latest drivers, but to no avail. I've also RMA'd the video card as a first step, and that didn't help either. I've verified the seating of the card and the PSU connections to the card. I am currently using the permanent PCIe connections coming from the PSU, and not the modular cables (in case that makes a difference). I've had my HX850 for two years and never had a problem until the new graphics card. I've also done memory tests to rule that out as well.

Any thoughts? Should I look into doing an RMA on the PSU as Wrycu did?

UPDATE (March 8, 2015): It seems my HX850 is bad. I pulled my GTX 980 from my main machine and put it into a secondary machine with a lower power supply (Corsair TX750) and older motherboard (ASUS P5Q Deluxe) and CPU (Intel Core Duo Quad 9440). Per the suggestions of EVGA tech support I ran a battery of tests using EVGA OC Scanner X and 3D Mark Basic. When I ran those on my main machine, my PC died during one of the 3D Mark tests. When I ran the same tests on my old machine with my 980, all tests completed successfully. I then put the old PSU into my main machine to make sure the 750 watts would be enough power, and once again ran the tests. All tests completed successfully. I then fired up Titanfall (which is what I tried to play after getting the 980 and how I first noticed the failures). I got through the training portion and a round of the game, neither of which I could do before. Needless to say I did an RMA of the HX850 and I hope the new PSU will last for many years, just as my TX750 has (6.5 years).

• Corsair Employee
Don't assume it's a power supply without proper system Diagnostics.

I've seen loose power connectors to SDRAM not seated properly cause the same issue.

UPDATE (March 8, 2015): It seems my HX850 is bad. I pulled my GTX 980 from my main machine and put it into a secondary machine with a lower power supply (Corsair TX750) and older motherboard (ASUS P5Q Deluxe) and CPU (Intel Core Duo Quad 9440). Per the suggestions of EVGA tech support I ran a battery of tests using EVGA OC Scanner X and 3D Mark Basic. When I ran those on my main machine, my PC died during one of the 3D Mark tests. When I ran the same tests on my old machine with my 980, all tests completed successfully. I then put the old PSU into my main machine to make sure the 750 watts would be enough power, and once again ran the tests. All tests completed successfully. I then fired up Titanfall (which is what I tried to play after getting the 980 and how I first noticed the failures). I got through the training portion and a round of the game, neither of which I could do before. Needless to say I did an RMA of the HX850 and I hope the new PSU will last for many years, just as my TX750 has (6.5 years).

Sounds proper to me. ;):

As written in my original post, when doing initial troubleshooting of my issue, I double- and triple-checked the seating of my components and power connections. I also ran memory tests as another step. It was a suggestion from EVGA tech support to use a different PSU to see if the video card still exhibited the issue, and it did not when I used a different PSU. So based on those experiments, I deducted the PSU was bad. I sure hope it is the problem as I have now paid shipping on two components to try to figure this out :)

When I went to pack my PSU for the RMA, I noticed a rattling sound like something was loose inside of it. I'm not sure what that could be, or if it had anything to do with what was going on, but it was something I noticed.

Lastly, I do appreciate all the advice and help I've received on this forum while trying to work through this. I will update when I receive my PSU replacement.

Archived