Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 PM
DrSteve's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014681
DrSteve Reputation: 10
Default Can't seem to run RAM at rated speed

Hi all. Looking for a bit pf advice if possible
Just put together my new system and I'm having a few teething issues.
Spec is as per my profile. Memory = CMK16GX4M2B3200C16. Build all went together nicely apart from a bug where the bios was unusable until Windows was installed but that's another issue.
According to Thaiphoon this memory is actually Samsung B die so I was expecting it to work without too many problems. Even hoped for a little overclock. Problem is I can't get it working at 3200. On first boot I activated the XMP and assumed that was all that was needed. I had a couple of blue screens so ran HCI memtest and got immediate errors. Everything else in the system at stock. Then ran memtest86 from usb and got several hundred errors. Reset bios to default and started again. Manually set dram voltage to the specified 1.35v, loaded xmp and tried again - lots of errors. Manually set the primary timings, same issue. Read a suggestion to start at a lower speed and increase in 300MHz increments which I did and everything is fine up to and including 3133 is error free. As soon as I pick 3200 it's errors again. Tried upping ram to 1.4v but no better. Could I have a rubbish IMC or just poor RAM?
I must admit that this is my first AMD build since the skt939 days so I may well be doing something really dumb here.
Really appreciate any advice

Old 08-14-2019, 08:20 PM
A Computer Guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014686
A Computer Guy Reputation: 10

Try using AUTO (not XMP) and setting your voltage and frequency manually. Then...
Perhaps your B-die is like my B-die, try using settings from the new DRAM Calculator for Ryzen using the memory type "Samsung OEM". This worked much better for me and matched more closely my original ram timings.

Last edited by A Computer Guy; 08-14-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:52 AM
DrSteve's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014704
DrSteve Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Computer Guy View Post
Try using AUTO (not XMP) and setting your voltage and frequency manually. Then...
Perhaps your B-die is like my B-die, try using settings from the new DRAM Calculator for Ryzen using the memory type "Samsung OEM". This worked much better for me and matched more closely my original ram timings.
I'll give that a try. I've already tried V1 and V2 for the Samsung b die preset, setting everything manually in bios. Both of those resulted in multiple attempts at post then the bios reset to default.