Corsair Community

PC wont recognize new RAM kit

GerarRv

So this week i bought another Corsair Vengeance kit (DDR4 1x8) for my motherboard (gigabyte b250m ds3h). I only had 8GB originally so i wanted to upgrade. For some reason my PC wont recognize my new kit, even tho they are the same model and my motherboard should be compatible. I tested my new kit alone and it doesn't work either. What do you guys think could be the problem?

I took some pictores of each kit side-by-side and the only differences i found were the RAM versions (my old kit its Ver 3.32 and my new one its Ver 8.30). They are the same model (corsair vengeance LPX) same speeds, etc. Maybe the one i bought its fried?

iBb0Xtc.png

There are not the same. You can see the different version number on the two products and they likely were made from different batches. This is one of the reasons you are not supposed to combine kits. Sometimes it is possible to get them to work together with a little tweaking, but if the board doesn't even see the RAM module, that is going to be a hard battle. You might try the new module by itself to see if it is recognized. Yes or no, you probably want to return it.

Is not recognized by it's own, only my old one does. I'm guessing it's faulty?

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know if it is faulty or the different material in the new version makes it incompatible, but I think you are justified in returning it as "faulty".

Some specialized PC shops will work with you to try and and match the version number. Others will not. A lot of the "RAM jockeys" always looking for B-die this or that have made some vendors less responsive. However, if you explain what your looking for and that you ended up with v8.30 and it was a disaster, hopefully they will realize you are just trying to get your system to work and not picking through their inventory. You likely will have to make contact and ask them to check if the new module is 3.32.

Just to be clear, they don't guarantee these things work even when they are the same version versus part of a deliberately matched kit. However, at the 2400 speed it would be fairly unusual for it not to work. It would be more difficult if you intended to clock them up to 3000-3200 MHz.