The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 03:47 PM

POST ID # = 539326
Neegal Reputation: 10
Thumbs down Brand new 1500's - something loose, rattling in right ear

So I bought a pair of 1500's and to my complete disappointment, after taking them out of the box I was greeted with a rattling in the right ear. Like there's a screw or something else knocking around in there.

Very disappointed. Whilst it doesn't seem to affect the audio, it's not right and quite annoying if I move my head. Also what's broken or come loose inside?

Do I have to RMA it with Corsair or can I RMA it with the online reseller (scan.co.uk) as it's faulty on arrival, distance selling etc.

Regards,

Nige

Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 540085
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

You can try the reseller but if they will not or cannot help you then please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace them.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 AM
vyzz's PC Specs

POST ID # = 541716
vyzz Reputation: 10

I have the problem as well, Please just post an assembly chart so that I can take it apart correctly and fix the problem myself. As this is a design flaw I don't feel confident RMA'ing it.

It appears that it wasn't taken into account that since the bigger speaker can produce the lower end of sounds more powerfully, the rest of the components would have the habit to shake.

Note: it is the components not the speaker because if you hold the cups onto your head with a little bit a pressure the rattling goes away.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
vyzz's PC Specs

POST ID # = 541719

For a quick fix I folded up 2 pieces of paper into wedges, and put them on the upper side of the hinge from cup to support. This puts more force on the cup and provides some absorb. Seems to have fixed the issue.

I'd still like to know how to take it apart correctly.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 542253
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

I would suggest we get them replaced, if you open them up that will VOID the warranty!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
distronic's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543231
distronic Reputation: 10

Thankfully I don't have this problem with my 1500s but only time will tell. Thanks for the quick fix tip, vyzz.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:57 AM
vyzz's PC Specs

POST ID # = 561086

I've just realize I haven't used these headphones in months because of the annoying rattling. The quick-fix adds pressure to my ears, so usage is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
I would suggest we get them replaced, if you open them up that will VOID the warranty!
I don't dispute that it will void the warranty. My confidence is low, as a brand new out-of-the-box item was faulty from the start. If it could be built wrong or be affected by stocking/shipping stresses, it has a good chance of a repeat occurrence.

Could I please get an assembly chart for these headphones. I want to adjust the wire length or improve connection strength from within and fabricate a wire tightening component in the headband.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:12 PM
OmniNegro's PC Specs

POST ID # = 561093
OmniNegro Reputation: 10

I have not disassembled mine, nor do I have the assembly information, but I can tell you from pictures I have seen that the wires are just that. Wires. They have a nice fabric around them, but inside they are just simple wires.

Bear in mind that they may cause quite a bit of problems if you get the length wrong. The USB interface requires data to be sent exactly every millisecond, so even a millimeter of difference in length could have disastrous results. It could cause the headset to not work at all, to cause distortions in the audio quality, or many other problems.

Obviously breaking any part of the headset will void the warranty, but if you cannot use them and have no confidence that an RMA will fix them then you have little or nothing to lose by trying.

I will post again in a few minutes. I know there are some pictures here that can possibly help you. (I just have to find them.)

Old 02-11-2012, 12:23 PM
OmniNegro's PC Specs

POST ID # = 561094

Alright. Here are some links that could help you if you simply must disassemble and reassemble.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95972

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=92620

The first is the best for your purposes. The second is less useful, but I will certainly accept any help I can find for you. Please let us know what you find if you do attempt to fix it or modify it in some way. Good luck.

(Why do I not have an "Audio Troll of the Month" badge? Lol.)

Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM
supraraycer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 561788
supraraycer Reputation: 10

Joined up just to post this thing.

I was looking for disassembly instructions. Did this instead...

http://youtu.be/ZXeXbgN8OD0

Good luck people!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:49 PM
OmniNegro's PC Specs

POST ID # = 561939

Thanks! That is useful for those with that problem. On another note, that screwdriver is the best tool in my entire arsenal. (You can see the driver pretty well at around 2:40 in the video.) I have used mine to do things no driver was ever made for.

Here is a link to the company that made them. You do not require the same exact driver to do this, but mine has outlasted entire sets of other brands of drivers.
http://www.wihatools.com/pro_System4.htm

Note that this may void your warranty, especially if you break anything while attempting the repair. So if you must attempt the repair, be very careful and go easy on it.

Last edited by OmniNegro; 02-15-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 02-25-2012, 08:13 PM
supraraycer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 563994
supraraycer Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniNegro View Post
Thanks! That is useful for those with that problem. On another note, that screwdriver is the best tool in my entire arsenal. (You can see the driver pretty well at around 2:40 in the video.) I have used mine to do things no driver was ever made for.

Here is a link to the company that made them. You do not require the same exact driver to do this, but mine has outlasted entire sets of other brands of drivers.
http://www.wihatools.com/pro_System4.htm

Note that this may void your warranty, especially if you break anything while attempting the repair. So if you must attempt the repair, be very careful and go easy on it.
Yes, go easy on it. haha

good luck people!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM

POST ID # = 624689
durexman Reputation: 10
Default corsair 1500 rattle fix

i had the same problem ....
i tried the folded paper fix, it helped but i could still hear this noise ....
it drove me crazy ..... i wasn't sure anymore was the noise real or was my imagination playing tricks on me........ after some thought i decided to try something different i took some "ptfe seal tape"
and applied it in the little gap where the headphone cushion inserted .

it solved the rattle problem .