Corsair Community

iCue software ruined my RGB lighting

Lord_Kekington

Built a new PC yesterday. Wired everything together and even without an OS all of my lighting was working with the default Rainbow effect. Once I installed my OS, updated my BIOS, updated my GPU I decided to finally install iCue software to be able to customize my lights.

Once I downloaded iCue v3.24.52, that's where everything went horribly wrong. All of my RGB light strips stopped working (x4), 3 out of the 5 LL-120 RGB lights stopped lighting up and my Corsair SPEC Omega RGB case RGB stopped working.

I than started hearing a constant USB disconnect/reconnect sound and it would see some of my missing peripherals for a second than it would disappear and reappear constantly. I talked to Corsair support in total for a couple of hours and despite trying to rewire things multiple times in different configurations they deemed my Commander Pro to be faulty as things plugged directly into it caused the disconnect/reconnect bug.

I am getting a new Commander PRO in today and I have drawn out a diagram of how my lighting setup will be wired using Zotty's CORSAIR RGB Hardware and iCUE Eco-System FAQ guide. I will also be re-installing Windows 10 Pro. I was wondering if there is anything here I am doing wrong which could of possibly been the reason why everything got destroyed by iCue. Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

20200110_153935.thumb.jpg.97aee0ba49807c8892991dee2d0ebf7b.jpg

Edited by Lord_Kekington

The Commander Pro may have been faulty, but probably not. I am not sure what AMD did with the X570 chipset, but the usb device disconnect is a common complaint specifically for that motherboard series. Others have worked around it by using a powered USB hub as an intermediary. I’ll see if I can find one of the larger threads and link it.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=189994

Edited by c-attack

The first commander pro I got I have returned to amazon and got a free replacement. As things connected into it would disconnect/reconnect every 5 seconds.

The second commander pro does the USB disconnect/reconnect every 5 minutes or so and the two USB headers on the commander pro don't work as whatever is directly connected into it don't get recognized.

I am getting this second one RMA'd by Corsair directly so I hope it fixes my issues. If it doesn't I'll have to buy that internal USB hub that others have been suggesting. I have an ASUS X570 Prime-Pro and after reading that thread it seems like an extremely common occurrence to have USB issues with this board.

I really appreciate your reply!

I don't know if the Asus boards are really more afflicted or there are just more of them in use. It does seem like AMD has a knack for introducing unique parameters in their quest to put one over on Intel. The 3000 series CPUs also behave in a different way at idle and the response was effectively 'all these programs do things they don't need to do' and that is what is causing the issue. Of course, that processor series is the only ones affected that way. So I think is probably another case of releasing the hardware the way they want to for their own reasons, then telling everyone else to fix their stuff and make it work. So much for standards.

I don't know if the Asus boards are really more afflicted or there are just more of them in use. It does seem like AMD has a knack for introducing unique parameters in their quest to put one over on Intel. The 3000 series CPUs also behave in a different way at idle and the response was effectively 'all these programs do things they don't need to do' and that is what is causing the issue. Of course, that processor series is the only ones affected that way. So I think is probably another case of releasing the hardware the way they want to for their own reasons, then telling everyone else to fix their stuff and make it work. So much for standards.

Not too sure on that one either. I'm not sure if its just ASUS boards or its because they are just the more popular choice. If the board is the issue It is quite upsetting that after 7 months there still hasn't been a solution to this problem as I only just built my system a couple days ago.

I will be upgrading to Ryzen 4000 when that gets released so hopefully if it is the chip the new one fixes the issue as well. I've never had an AMD build before so there is definitely things I am learning as I've been messing around with my system. I hope I don't have to go down the road of the USB hub but I might have no choice.