The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 02:49 PM

POST ID # = 724971
Skcorpion86 Reputation: 10
Default Does any LED's work with corsair link?

Does any RGB LEDs work with corsair link? I know I can buy the corsair link lighting kit and get 3 strips of leds, but what if I want more than 3 strips, could I just buy some more strips from somewhere else?

And do I have to have the Corsair commander mini to get LED's to work with corsair link in sync with my 100i LED?

Thanks for the help....

Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Corsair Employee
Fauxbeard's PC Specs

POST ID # = 724973
Fauxbeard Reputation: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skcorpion86 View Post
Does any RGB LEDs work with corsair link?
I can only officially state that our Lighting node or Commander Mini will only work with our RGB LED strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skcorpion86 View Post
And do I have to have the Corsair commander mini to get LED's to work with corsair link in sync with my 100i LED?
No, the H100i LED can be controlled separately through the Link software WITHOUT the Commander Mini.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM

POST ID # = 724976
Skcorpion86 Reputation: 10

[QUOTE=Corsair Bunny Foo Foo #5;724973]I can only officially state that our Lighting node or Commander Mini will only work with our RGB LED strips.

Thanks for the answer....

Is there any way to possibly get more than 3 strips? buy them separate or something?

Old 09-11-2014, 02:24 PM
nh_790's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727065
nh_790 Reputation: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Bunny Foo Foo #5 View Post
I can only officially state that our Lighting node or Commander Mini will only work with our RGB LED strips.

"Oficially" huh...thats a good way of putting that without getting in trouble with the bosses.... :)

I can officially state that any RGB LED strips work fine.

I have 18 LED's across the top and bottom of my 540 and 22 down the side running of a Commander mini and there are no problems at all.

You have to make your own cables since the corsair ones aren't standard, but its super easy to do.

[IMG][/IMG]

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Jerre03's PC Specs

POST ID # = 742683
Jerre03 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauxbeard View Post
No, the H100i LED can be controlled separately through the Link software WITHOUT the Commander Mini.
I just recieved the Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit and i thought that it will work with my H100i, apparently it doesn't, do you really need a node or commander to make te leds work?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Specter's PC Specs

POST ID # = 742688
Specter Reputation: 22

Correct. The Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit is useless without a Lighting Node or a Corsair Commander Mini.

the Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit will not connect directly to a H100i or a H80i.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Mic Drengen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 838466
Mic Drengen Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauxbeard View Post
Hi, sorry for bringing the dead back to life, but didn't think i'd be nessasary to start a new thread...

can you tell me if the RGB LED channel on the device is PWM or volage controlled?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 838470
red-ray Reputation: 81
Arrow Pwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic Drengen View Post
can you tell me if the RGB LED channel on the device is PWM or volage controlled?
Good question and I don't recall it being asked before so I thought I would find out. I fired up my old 465B scope and can see it's PWM.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:08 PM
BipolarBear's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727354
BipolarBear Reputation: 18

Interesting. I've been eyeing off some cheap rgb led strips on ebay, these look like they come with a 4 pin connection, ready to be plugged into a led controller. Can you tell me what I need to do to connect these to the led input on the commander mini? Do I need to purchase a compatible connector, then cut and solder?

Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 PM
nh_790's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727395
nh_790 Reputation: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipolarBear View Post
Interesting. I've been eyeing off some cheap rgb led strips on ebay, these look like they come with a 4 pin connection, ready to be plugged into a led controller. Can you tell me what I need to do to connect these to the led input on the commander mini? Do I need to purchase a compatible connector, then cut and solder?
Sure.

Honestly I didnt even solder. these things run on such low power, I think they just need to not touch other wires or metal...

I just twisted the wires together and wrapped with electrical tape. I'm sure someone will give me crap about that, but seems to work fine.

Anyways, the setup:

The connector used on the mini and lighting node is called an I2C or IIC connector. These days I think they are used for Arduino devices mostly. It also happens to be the exact same connector as was used on the old audio cables you used to have to use to on IDE Optical drives before XP.

I happened to have a couple of these old audio cables still so that's what I used.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The cables I had had 1 thicker wire and two thinner ones, i took 2 cables apart so i could use the slightly thicker wire (one at each end x2 cables)

So i ended up with 4 of these:

[IMG][/IMG]

So, I remove the red and white wires, and put in the other 3 black wires, and connect some extra red, green, blue, and black wires that I had from an old motherboard front panel connector.

The result looks like this:
[IMG][/IMG]

Make sure you get the order right, Corsair is not using the standard order.

Corsair:

12v
B
R
G

Standard:

12v
G
R
B

Then i got a 5 meter spool of 5050 RGB LED lights from ebay, probably similar to what you are looking at, as well as a 10 pack of solderless connectors. Total cost about 25 bucks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Around the front of the case you need to connect the red, green, blue and black wires to one of the solderless connectors and connect the solderless connector to the led strip. I just cut one of the connectors in half.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then around your case however you want, cutting custom lengths and using the solderless connectors where needed, corners etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

I need to stick some double sided tape on the solderless connectors so that they dont peel away but the end result works pretty well. Hopefully this helps.

[IMG][/IMG]

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:08 PM

POST ID # = 859501
gast77 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh_790 View Post

Corsair:

12v
B
R
G

Standard:

12v
G
R
B
Sorry to necro the thread, I have a question on this quote.

What could result from connecting standard w/ corsair? Basically the green and blue would be reversed, is there any adverse affect to this or should it be fine?

I have the dominator platinum fans attempting to connect with my case connector which is standard.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:39 AM
The only one yellow 780T
Phal's PC Specs

POST ID # = 859551
Phal Reputation: 32

Colors should be wrong, so if you config 255 0 255 you will recieve yellow and not violett.

Are the connector from your case the same plug like on the airflow?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Bomberman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 913696
Bomberman Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh_790 View Post
Sure.

Honestly I didnt even solder. these things run on such low power, I think they just need to not touch other wires or metal...

I just twisted the wires together and wrapped with electrical tape. I'm sure someone will give me crap about that, but seems to work fine.

Anyways, the setup:

The connector used on the mini and lighting node is called an I2C or IIC connector. These days I think they are used for Arduino devices mostly. It also happens to be the exact same connector as was used on the old audio cables you used to have to use to on IDE Optical drives before XP.

I happened to have a couple of these old audio cables still so that's what I used.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The cables I had had 1 thicker wire and two thinner ones, i took 2 cables apart so i could use the slightly thicker wire (one at each end x2 cables)

So i ended up with 4 of these:

[IMG][/IMG]

So, I remove the red and white wires, and put in the other 3 black wires, and connect some extra red, green, blue, and black wires that I had from an old motherboard front panel connector.

The result looks like this:
[IMG][/IMG]

Corsair:

12v
B
R
G

Standard:

12v
G
R
B

Then i got a 5 meter spool of 5050 RGB LED lights from ebay, probably similar to what you are looking at, as well as a 10 pack of solderless connectors. Total cost about 25 bucks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Around the front of the case you need to connect the red, green, blue and black wires to one of the solderless connectors and connect the solderless connector to the led strip. I just cut one of the connectors in half.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then around your case however you want, cutting custom lengths and using the solderless connectors where needed, corners etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

I need to stick some double sided tape on the solderless connectors so that they dont peel away but the end result works pretty well. Hopefully this helps.

[IMG][/IMG]
All of the images are broken now because of photobucket no longer allowing hosted images (unless you pay a lot). Can you repost these on a different host? I'm thinking about trying to do this (specifically with CableMod RGB strips because they have magnetic backing so I can attach them without worrying about them being permanent or leaving residue) and it would be helpful to be able to see the images!

Old 07-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 913701
red-ray Reputation: 81
Thumbs down Last Activity: 02-08-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomberman View Post
All of the images are broken now because of photobucket no longer allowing hosted images (unless you pay a lot). Can you repost these on a different host? I'm thinking about trying to do this (specifically with CableMod RGB strips because they have magnetic backing so I can attach them without worrying about them being permanent or leaving residue) and it would be helpful to be able to see the images!
Looking at his profile it says "Last Activity: 02-08-2016 06:07 PM" so I suspect you will be out of luck, but if you look at http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/nh_790 you should be able to see them.

What device do you wish to use to control the LEDs? The CLCP/CLNP need 5 volt W2812B LEDs which are totally different and you may find http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907769 of interest.

Last edited by red-ray; 07-28-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Bomberman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 913710
Bomberman Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
Looking at his profile it says "Last Activity: 02-08-2016 06:07 PM" so I suspect you will be out of luck, but if you look at http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/nh_790 you should be able to see them.

What device do you wish to use to control the LEDs? The CLCP/CLNP need 5 volt W2812B LEDs which are totally different and you may find http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907769 of interest.
That's some great info in the linked post. Thanks a bunch!

Tags
100i, comander, corsair, led, link