Corsair Community

leo_valen

Hi, my GTX h100i in Corsair Link4 have two modes on the pump, "Quiet" and "Performance".

Quiet mode works at 2000 rpm and Performance work at 3000 RPM.

If i use the Performance mode the lifespan of the pump will be the same than Quiet mode?

I want to know because its 10c of diference.

The mean time before failure is typically given in hours, not revolutions, and it does not change the length of the warranty. The pump is intended to last at least 5 years, regardless of which pump mode you use. However, basic logic should tell you running 50% slower likely means less wear and tear than a much faster speed.

I am a little surprised you would see a 10C difference in water temperature between pump speeds. That is rather sizable. What kind of load was present and how long was it running?

The mean time before failure is typically given in hours, not revolutions, and it does not change the length of the warranty. The pump is intended to last at least 5 years, regardless of which pump mode you use. However, basic logic should tell you running 50% slower likely means less wear and tear than a much faster speed.

I am a little surprised you would see a 10C difference in water temperature between pump speeds. That is rather sizable. What kind of load was present and how long was it running?

I was running Intel Burn Test at Very High for 10 minutes, 5 minutes of difference between the two tests.

With 2000 RPm (quiet mode) the cpu go up to 80 degrees celsius, at 3000 RPm (performance mode) the cpu go to 71 degrees celsius. The i7 was running at 4.4 Ghz at 1.1 Vcore.

So if i use the pump at performance mode the cooler it will have 5 years of life?

Thanks

There are lot of reasons for varying CPU core temperature results using heavy loads and synthetic tests in particular. The pump and fans affect the coolant temperature inside the unit. This is the H100i v2 Temp in the bottom box of the Link home screen. The actual heat conducted through the CPU lid, TIM, cold plate, and then finally into the water stream is mostly related to composition of materials and not something you can alter or change with different cooler settings. So, the real measure of the effectiveness of pump speed is the H100i temp delta. If 10 minutes of IBT raises the coolant temp from 25C to 40C, then the delta is 15C. If performance mode goes from 25 to 36C under the same identical conditions, then it is 4C better. That only translates into a 4C reduction on all CPU temps. If you are going to run IBT, use performance mode. However, I suspect that is not the main purpose of your system. Try out the two pump speeds on loads you actually use (rendering, gaming, video editing, whatever) and compare the difference in coolant/water temp from beginning to end. For most people this is a very tiny number and that makes the decision on which mode to use for day to day use pretty easy.

Your warranty is 5 years. Corsair and the OEM who makes the cooler have some sort of agreement on how to handle defects and the expectation is that is it will last nearly as long as the warranty or both companies are on the hook. Obviously not all products make it that far and some are troublesome from the start for one reason or another. There is no possible way to know how long your cooler can go before it drops off. There is a fair amount of variability, but if you have to lay a wager down on a cooler that runs a pump speed of 2000 rpm vs an identical cooler at 3000 rpm, my money is on the pump that turns 33% less revolutions over that lifetime.

Archived