Corsair Community

Can't get into my computer's bios with a K90

AlexRiker

You don't have it plugged into a USB3 port do you? I had a friend with this exact problem recently and the problem is that the USB3 drivers don't load till the operating system starts. After I plugged his keyboard into a USB2 port all was OK.

Oh that is funky... do you know why they made it that way?

I had the same thought about USB3.0, and no, I've tried it in both 2.0 and 3.0 ports. As it happens, my logitech g11 (previous keyboard) works even when it's in a USB 3.0 port. I checked my bios settings and everything is enabled (including legacy USB). I suppose I could try disabling it and see if that helps?

It is fairly new, yes. I however recently updated to the latest bios, so there is not an update in that regard. I have reported it to MSI tech support (it's an MSI motherboard). I would like to know if other people with this keyboard have the same issue, though- anyone with the k90 willing to humor me? I also just tried it without legacy USB enabled, the same results (and still works with the logi). I'm guessing this will take a bios update to fix, but if so, that would present a serious issue with this keyboard for enthusiasts. Any comment from corsair?

• Corsair Employee
I would try the KB in another MB to make sure it is not an issue with the Keyboard. If the KB works in another MB then I suspect that the MB may be in 8 Bit mode only when at the BIOS level. However, MB manufacturers moved to 16 Bit BIOS kernels several years ago and I do not know of any current MB's using an 8 Bit Kernel but some MB makers who may write their own BIOS may do something like this to simplify another issue. You might check with the MB maker and ask them to read my post just to be sure.

Thanks for chippin in stratos, I've looked into my issue a bit more on my own time. Curiously, the k90 works fine with an older bios revision of my motherboard (1.7). And since none of the bios updates since have affected me appreciably, I'm content just to run that bios and have it work. Still, I'm interested to see what MSI says about the issue.

• Corsair Employee

The BIOS should be updated AlexRiker on your MB they actually mention KB and Mouse compatibility in the update history:

From our HID Eng.>

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD65--B3-.html#/?div=BIOS

So they had issues, if this solves it for the K90, no idea can’t vouch for the code quality MSI BIOS engineers write.

Btw latest version is 1.G 2011-11-30, might the check if that is being used.

And note that the first version was 1.1 2010-11-01 , so quite some time before gaming keyboard/mouse support was added, go figure.

Description - Update CPU Micro Code.

- Update memory module.

- Update RAID ROM version.

- Improved gaming mouse compatibility. Version 1.15

Type AMI BIOS Release Date 2011-11-18

Download 7681v1F.zip

File Size 4.27 MB

Note N/A

Description - Improved memory compatibility.

- Improved gaming keyboard compatibility. Version 1.D

Type AMI BIOS Release Date 2011-06-24

Download 7681v1D.zip

File Size 4.23 MB

Note N/A

fvbounty

I suspect there may be a similar type of issue with the MB on your list as well

The BIOS should be updated AlexRiker on your MB they actually mention KB and Mouse compatibility in the update history:

fvbounty

I suspect there may be a similar type of issue with the MB on your list as well

The MB is fine its the M60 mouse that won't work in the UFI part of the bios, I was just letting prople that this K90 will work fine on my Motherboard bios. I have the latest bios for the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3, so no fix from them in a bios update for the M60 mouse.

I'm aware of the 1.G bios update- that is what I was using when I first had the issue. It does not add support for this particular keyboard, though it does for the RAT7 mouse (which I have). Oddly, I have to revert to an older bios (1.7) before they started adding support for unnamed 'gaming' peripherals to get the corsair k90 to work.

I have a simillar problem :

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102134

In addition i have updated to the latest BIOS available for my board, but to no avail .

I would also like to have an answer to this, is it a compatibility issue can it be fixed? By whom?

If it were mentioned as a compatibility issue somewhere(don't know whom to blame, Asus or Corsair) ,I might have choosen another mouse.

• 3 weeks later...

I had similar problems with my previous keyboard (Logitech G510).

I tried literally everything (USB legacy, different BIOS settings, usb ports etc). Once or twice I have got it to work but later I installed newer version of the software and the keyboard stopped working again forcing me to connect another keyboard to overclock my CPU. I was pretty sure the fault was on Logitech's side however the keyboard was working fine with other mobos.

In the end I came into conclusion that simply there has to some kind of conflict between my keyboard and motherboard. Said but true, I didn't fix it until I changed my keyboard to K90 and now everything works fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add to this : I was able to use the keyboard in BIOS for a while but out of a sudden all the numbers apart form the 5 on the numpad stopped working while in BIOS! I tried numlock on and off but it has no effect. The normal numbers just do not work and the numbers on the numpad act as if they were arrows. All of them apart form number 5, which is ok. :D:

What happened!

UPDATE: The keystroke of the numbers register in BIOS but i believe they send wrong signals as any key, other than "5" on NumPad (which acts fine) "2,4,6 and 8" on NumPad (which all act as the corresponding arrows) will enter the minimum allowed value, if there is such. For example i want to change the timings of my RAM, which has allowed values between 4 and 40 and i decide to use the normal keys - it would just enter 4 no matter what i press.

EDIT: Motherboard is Z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3. BIOS v.1.30

UPDATE: I managed to get the keyboard working again by plugging and unplugging another, 2nd USB keyboard while in BIOS. The second keyboard was Logitech fwiw.

Archived