Corsair Community

Vengeance LPX 3200 C16 ver. 4.32 overclocking (cmk16gx4m2b3200c16)

paridoth

So, I got these thinking they got that yummy, overclockable Samsung B-die. Mind you, it is actually ver. 4.32 and not 4.31. These are not on the QVL of my B450 Tomahawk max :(

While they do run just fine on XMP settings, they don't seem to be willing to go a single step beyond that. I was wondering if anyone had achieved a significant OC on these. If so, I would appreciate some tips!

I also have a kit of 4.32 ram (different model, size, and dual rank) and found it didn't like tRC timings (and some lower tRFC) out of the box and were a bit problematic to get working. I needed to reconfigure ProcODT, RTT, and SOC to push over DDR4-3200 successfully.

When using DRAM Calculator for Ryzen I also discovered their timings more closely matched the "Samsung OEM" profile so that may be the info that might really help you out the most if you use that utility.

I recommend using the most recent version of DRAM Calculator. And read this article https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

Assuming your chips are the same kind of Samsung as mine (based on version) it may exhibit similar properties to mine.

Note BIOS/UEFI updates can have a massive effect. I had a successful up to DDR4-3600 overclock at one point, sadly now broken.

Below I'll give you a small snapshot comparison of my overclocking journey.

The chart below might help give you some configuration ideas but likely start with Dram Calculator first and expect any BIOS/UEFI update to have the potential to break any overclock you might get.

https://imgur.com/a/pmQFwpX

Edited by A Computer Guy

Thank you! I will try it out tonight!

My mobo is the Tomahawk max so the Bios is fairly new as it is a new mobo. There is a beta out (whose patch notes mention additional memory compatibility, incidentally), but I wasnt so keen on using a beta since everything workes as intended (apart memory overclocking, obviously). I'll try it out anyway.

I am more interested in tightening the timings than augmenting frequencies, so my efforts will be centered on that.

Thnx again

So, I installed the latest BIOS (dont know if that mattered, but at least the beta BIOS is not broken).

I used the import feature from Thaiphoon because I noticed that even though I put in the correct specifications in all the main fields like rank, number of modules, frequency etc the timings still changed when I used the imported file in DRAM calculator. I left Samsung b-die instead of Samsung OEM, as you suggested, because that would give me invalid numbers. Then I heard about what you said about tRFC and I set the alternative setting (432) as well as the tWRRD (3).

Glad to report that the system did POST and everything seems to be working smoothly. Did some mem testing for around 10 minutes and it didnt crash, so I guess the pc is usable for now. I will stress test and benchmark tomorrow, too tired now.

PS. out of curiosity, I ran the "apply & test" in Ryzen master in PCO mode and the best cores peaked at 4.17 Ghz as opposed to 4.12 before (everything else stock on a Ryzen 3600). So that looks promising!

PS2. I will also try giving the b-die timings I got from not importing the Thaiphoon specifications as I recall they were tighter and again try to setting both tRFC and tWRRD to the alternative settings, see if that works. Assuming I have already found stability with the looser timings.

So, quick update: Everything was working fine and I had significant gains in benchmarks, around 7%! I then tried to push frequency (or transfers, whatever) and my OS was corrupted after BSOD. Since I am too old for this ***** and can no longer be bothered spending time and energy re-installing windows every time, I think I will just leave things here! I hope this thread helps someone!

As I said, just use the export option in Thaiphoon and make a html page of the full results of the read. Dont forget to transform the timings in ns in the report page. Import the file in DRAM calculator and then, when you copy the values in the BIOS, choose the alternative values for tRFC (432) and tWRRD (3). The gains are quite impressive, I must say. I will not bother with increasing the frequency as it is less important that timings for games.

So, quick update: Everything was working fine and I had significant gains in benchmarks, around 7%! I then tried to push frequency (or transfers, whatever) and my OS was corrupted after BSOD. Since I am too old for this ***** and can no longer be bothered spending time and energy re-installing windows every time, I think I will just leave things here! I hope this thread helps someone!

Typically first I use the bootable memtest86 USB and don't event bother booting into windows unless at least one pass is successful.

Secondly that is why I tend to use a scratch disk OS for testing to avoid corrupting my working installed OS.

Could someone that successfully overclocks these version 4.32 post there results , i had a awful time using the ryzen calculator

My screenshot showed a successful DDR4-3600 overclock and DDR4-3200 with tightened timings with my dual-rank kit. It was successful until I updated my BIOS to AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB and I am back to recomputing and retesting again and now it seems trying to scale above DDR4-3200 isn't working well for me anymore at all.

With my kit going from DDR4-3200 to DDR4-3400 it wasn't worth it with the looser timings I couldn't seem to trim down, but to my surprise (on the older BIOS) it did allow DDR4-3600 and that fit better with the scaled up timings I had to use anyway.

Generally I've had good results when enabling GearDown and disabling PowerDown with both my LPX and RGB kits and Zen+ and Zen2 CPU's. Keeping DRAM voltage near 1.35v seemed to be a sweet spot as using higher voltages didn't seem to have any improving effects for my RGB kit and keeping SOC between 1.0v and 1.1v.

AMD will be releasing a new AGESA in a few days so I'm going to wait until ASRock catches up with that before trying to attempt DDR4-3600 again although somehow I doubt I will be able to achieve that again.

Edited by A Computer Guy

thanks so much for the reply , could you guys keep us informed of your progress regarding overclocking these.

http://iforce.co.nz/i/ivliq4y3.bcq.jpg

my timings when i import the html into ryzen from typhoon

still not able to post when i edit the settings , will give it another go at some stage , i followed paridoth setttings , but im still new to overclocking and i must be doing something wrong .

Edited by Padoo

thanks so much for the reply , could you guys keep us informed of your progress regarding overclocking these.

my timings when i import the html into ryzen from typhoon

still not able to post when i edit the settings , will give it another go at some stage , i followed paridoth setttings , but im still new to overclocking and i must be doing something wrong .

If your new to memory overclocking with Ryzen CPU read this first.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

Ensure your ram is installed in your primary slots (typically A2 & B2 for Ryzen).

Scroll down in thiaphoon report to screenshot your XMP timings. I think the JEDEC timings are listed first in the report, then XMP after.

Like I was trying to say to paridoth I think for ver. 4.32 the memory type correlates to "Samsung OEM" in Dram Calculator.

Start with resetting everything back to AUTO and manually set your XMP required DRAM voltage and XMP frequency provided by your memory kit specification. (don't actually use the xmp profile in bios)

If your problem is you can't get your XMP kit to run at XMP frequency then start with JEDEC speeds first (2133 to 2666) with XMP DRAM voltage.

reboot. memtest86. if all good then boot into windows and get your memory settings from Ryzen Master.

In particular this is a good way to get what your motherboard decides to use by default for termination, cad bus, and misc values. This provides a base point where you know what values already work.

As you step up in frequency and you can't seem to get DRAM Calculator values to work you can revert to what did work (from the previous step) starting with ProcODT, RTT, and CAD values.

Generally I don't starting trimming timings until after I have stabilized the target frequency I'm reaching for because a really bad or problematic timing might prevent POST.

Edited by A Computer Guy

• 4 weeks later...

So is it b-die on 4.32 or not?

Why cant someone from Corsair just tell what type of memory it is?

Want to start test out dram calculator but if thaiphoon burner is showing the wrong info I don't want to tinker with it yet, want to be sure what it really is.

So is it b-die on 4.32 or not?

Why cant someone from Corsair just tell what type of memory it is?

Want to start test out dram calculator but if thaiphoon burner is showing the wrong info I don't want to tinker with it yet, want to be sure what it really is.

I don't know. I haven't been able to confirm what that version really "is" from anywhere. I suspect it's just lower grade b-die.

If you are unsure or you think the SPD info is wrong then simply try to compare your current working/stock speed and timings with the matching speed in dram calculator.

Browse each memory type and profile in dram calculator using the calc safe settings button and compare timings button to see what best fits with your stock frequency and timing.

If you get a good match that may be what you really have if there is any doubt. Keep in mind dram calculator is suggesting what you can use. The situation may very from system to system anyway.

Edited by A Computer Guy

I don't know. I haven't been able to confirm what that version really "is" from anywhere. I suspect it's just lower grade b-die.

If you are unsure or you think the SPD info is wrong then simply try to compare your current working/stock speed and timings with the matching speed in dram calculator.

Browse each memory type and profile in dram calculator using the calc safe settings button and compare timings button to see what best fits with your stock frequency and timing.

If you get a good match that may be what you really have if there is any doubt. Keep in mind dram calculator is suggesting what you can use. The situation may very from system to system anyway.

Hi thanks for the reply, did not get anywhere with dram calc and got so tired to reset cmos every time so funny enough I tried your values and that was the best I could get I think for 3600Mhz on my Tomahawk Max board.

CL16 was doable but it was waaay to high timings for it to be a point to use it.

x6sbm2W.jpg

DMW6E5y.jpg

EDIT: Changed to this:

RjM1SxI.jpg

Heard it was supposed to be better, still stable but no different in performance.

Edited by Jackzz

Hi thanks for the reply, did not get anywhere with dram calc and got so tired to reset cmos every time so funny enough I tried your values and that was the best I could get I think for 3600Mhz on my Tomahawk Max board.

CL16 was doable but it was waaay to high timings for it to be a point to use it.

https://i.imgur.com/x6sbm2W.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DMW6E5y.jpg

EDIT: Changed to this:

https://i.imgur.com/RjM1SxI.jpg

Heard it was supposed to be better, still stable but no different in performance.

Even though the timings were not ideal I think it was still about a 8% gain coming up from DDR4-3200 CL16 (in synthetics). I wouldn't expect that to amount to much in games.

• 4 months later...

Jackzz, thank you very much for the posted pictures from your BIOS settings!

I was trying for weeks to get my memory stable at 3600MHz. I tried many different settings offered by the Ryzen DRAM Calculator and non of them worked for me. I was never able to post after applying values provided by the calculator.

There are preset options in my BIOS to overclock the memory (function called Memory Try It ?) and when I was using these presets I posted just fine, even passed 4 cycles in Memtest86 without any errors. I was using DDR4-3600 18-20-20-20-38 preset in Memory Try It ?. Still the memory was unstable in real world applications. To be honest, I've never seen such a strange behavior. It was as if my GPU overclock was failing... Every time I started a game(any game) and play for 10-15 min. it was just crashing with "dxgi error device removed" message. Usually this error points to a problem with the GPU(GPU overclock most of the time). The GPU drivers were crashing as well. So for quite some time I was attempting to stabilize the system by lowering GPU clocks. I also lowered down the power limit in Afterburner and eventually dialed the GPU back to it's stock clocks. Even tried lowering the power limit under 100% to no avail... This led me to understand that this issue was caused either by the CPU or the memory overclock. Since I was never able to achieve stable 4200MHz for all cores on my Ryzen 5 3600, I tried numerous variations to get that stable and was unable to no matter what I did, so at first I thought that the CPU overclock(CPU was overclocked using PBO at that time) was the problem. I know it is unlikely CPU instability to be cased by using PBO alone, but who knows, maybe I just had the "luck" to get my hands on the worst silicon used in a Ryzen 5 3600 chip on the planet... So I disabled the PBO and removed the GPU overclock. I was quite confident that the memory was stable as it passed Memtest86 quite a few times with no issues and I was not expecting the problem to be caused by the memory, so I checked if the issue is hiding there for last. With my CPU and GPU @ stock the problem persisted. And of course it turned out that I had no stability issue with nor CPU or GPU(GTX 1070 FE I have for a long time and I know what this card's overclock potential is).

Naturally the first thing I tried here was to enable the XMP profile for the memory dialing back to 3200MHz. What can you do I had to live with it, maybe I had the worst Samsung die's on my memory modules in the world as well. Lucky guy... Though the problem was fixed instantly and it was obvious that the memory overclock was the one failing me this whole time.

And then... I stumbled upon the pictures with the RAM values Jackzzz posted on the previous page of this thread and obviously I was eager to try them.

I did the overclocking very patiently changing a single value and save and exit BIOS after change.

And guess what? It actually worked!

The only values my system did not accept were the RttWr(80 ohm) and RttPark(240 ohm) - I just left those on auto. Then I tested the memory with Memtest86 for only one cycle as I knew that if the RAM overclock was going to fail again I just needed to start a game for 10-15 min and see if it will crash. So I played Forza Motorsport 7 for more than 2 hours with no crashes and right after that Mass Effect Andromeda for another 3 hours straight - no crashes again. The CPU was left to run with PBO and the GPU was overclocked to the values I know are 100% stable.

My goal right from the moment I upgraded my system was to achieve fixed 4200MHz stable on all cores for the CPU and 3600MHz for the RAM. So after I managed to get the memory stable thanks to this forum and Jackzz I was excited to see if I will be able to get the CPU stable somehow. The first thing I did when I started the system for the first time(about a month ago) was to update the BIOS to the latest version of my MSI X570 Gaming Plus board and right after that I enabled the XMP profile first and then MSI's Gaming Boost function. I was able to pass Cinebench R20 once or twice but got a crash to restart every time I used this preset CPU overclock function in the BIOS. Manual overclocking of the CPU was quitre a bit more stable, but never got it fully stable on neither 4200, 4150, 4100MHz when I set them as fixed frequency on all cores. Nothing I tried from what I red online wasn't helping. It was working for a bit longer than MSI's option but still crashing and restarting the PC every time.

Most interestingly, after the successful RAM overclock before I attempted to do any manual CPU overclock I decided to try the Game Boost function in BIOS once again and ran Cinebench R20 20 consecutive times with no freezes, then I started Prime 95 and had to leave, so I left it to run for about 5hrs while I was gone. For my surprise, when I got back home it was still running strong.

Maybe I am not so unlucky after all.

Last time I overclocked AMD CPU was during the socket 939 days. It is a bit more adventures from just overclocking my ex i5 2500k to 4500 by just changing the multiplier. You have to work for it and I am sure that there are a few more tweaks that could be made in the future to improve performance. Who knows maybe my CPU would clock more now that is stable on 4200MHz ;). I really don't want to change anything in BIOS for the moment.

I am very sorry for my post being so long and please excuse me if my English is not perfect, but it's not my native language.

I specially registered to this forum to thank Jackzz personally and the whole community here.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Regards

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

Since this is the first result when searching Corsair ver 4.32, I'm posting my OC here.

PN CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 ver 4.32

IC K4A8G085WB-BCPB in Thaiphoon (wrong)

Could manage 3800MT/s with 18-21-21-21-40-68-594 at 1.33V so pretty nice! See link for details

AIDA unstable at >=1.34V. Will update imgur post as it goes.

Edited by alxns