Corsair Community

Any benefit in fine-sanding the copper plate on a H80?

nirvana_1911

I just bought a Corsair Hydro H80 CPU cooler and notice that the bottom copper plate has a "brushed" finish.

I wanted to ask if it's worth fine-sanding with some 2000 or 2500 grit paper to get rid of the brushed finish, the ridges, and make a smooth shiny finish.

Or if it will not make a difference.

I understand that this will void the warranty.

Ah, to lap or not to lap, that is the question...

I've never done this to a Corsair H-series cooler, so I can't say what difference it will make. The copper plate on these coolers sure looks like a good candidate for lapping. I agree with the theory and intent of lapping, but IMO it works best when the CPU is also lapped. Usually, the top of the CPU (the IHS, Integrated Heat Spreader in Intel terminology) is not flat, and lapping is really done to create a flat surface, rather than just highly polished. I don't know how flat the copper plate on the H-series coolers is.

I doubt that lapping the copper plate would cause any damage. It's interesting that many of the best air-cooled CPU coolers do not have highly polished heat plates, according to the reviews I've read.

It sounds like you may be a 'lapper, how well has it worked for you with other coolers?

lapping the CPU is preferred, mostly because on most of the chips the corners of the cpu cap are stiff and have high corners as seen in the pic. it took me a long time with 600 grit and a mirror to get the corners down even with the core area.

http://liquidninjas.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=3489&stc=1&d=1214161170

the reason stock coolers seem to have better idle temps is because the round base sits on the cores and does not contact the corners like the full contact bases of the H series or any full contact HSF.

ElcomeSoft, very interesting about the copper plate being concave. That may actually be a plus with the convex surface of the typical Intel CPU.

Synthohol, more good information, and your idea about the stock cooler vs others makes perfect sense, IMO. Your pic is obviously meant to show the high and low points on the IHS, which it sure does. I'm always impressed with the finished product of CPU lapping, that mirror smooth, shiny copper surface.

peanutz is correct about the amount of extra cooling anyone would get when lapping, although given the seemingly bad fit between non-flat CPU and cooler surfaces, you'd think you'd get more.

Archived