Corsair Community

Corsairlink reporting only 3 of 5 fans connected to commander pro

Yanta

The fans speeds do not change. It shows only 3 of the 5 connected fans, all of which are spinning.

Swapped fans around various connections.

Unplugged a fan in 1,2,3 and Corsairlink reports 0 rpm. Reconnect it, it shows either 515rpm or 560 rpm.

Uninstalled and reinstall. Tried the latest 3 versions of Corsairlink, though I need 5.6.19 as it reports the HDDs, and this is a server with 8 HDDs so I want to monitor drive temps. Later versions dropped support for HDDs.

Against my better judgement I installed iCue. OMG! 900MB just to report fans and temps! - Only because I figured it would be suggested as the "Omnipotent solution to all things link". It didn't solve the problem. It still only shows 3 fans.

Can you clarify...

1) Fans 1-3 show up in Link under the Commander Pro tab, but do not respond to control requests (fixed speed 1000 rpm, etc)?

2) Fan 4 & 5 are missing from the Commander Pro display but are spinning.

What is the fan model? Are these the Noctua Industrial 2000 PWM?

Are fans 1-5 connected as singles? Or are there splitters?

This seems like a physical issue rather than software, so I don't think you need to swap Link versions anymore, but we'll see... Any other monitoring software in play (AIDA, HWiNFO, etc.)?

Edited by c-attack
Corrected program in use

Thanks for your reply.

This is my server, not my personal system. There are no iPPC fans. The radiator has two stock SP120 fans. The case fans are fractal fans, stock fans with the case, except the bottom fan which I added and that is a NF-A14 PWM (iirc), a noctua fan.

There are no splitters. The only other monitoring program installed is MSI After burner for the MSI GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X graphics card.

The pump's USB cable plugs into the commander Pro. The pumps fan is connected to the PUMP_FAN1 header on the motherboard (X299 XPower Gaming AC - coincidentally the same motherboard that is in my PC).

The fan speeds do not change in link. Regardless of what speed they are doing, they report either 515 (P1) or 560 (P2 and P3), RPM. Fans on ports 4,5,6 don't show at all, but yes they are spinning. Only 1,2,3 are showing.

What changed: Bigger case (Swapped Fractal Define R5 for Fractal Define XL R2 and a new motherboard - Removed ASRock X299 Taichi, Added X299 XPower Gaming AC). Bigger case needed as the R5 does not fit E-ATX motherboards. Both cases used the same brand fans (Stock), and the same Corsair Cooler with stock SP120 fans.

Edited by Yanta

Afterburner definitely is not the offender and we all use that. I had to uninstall iCUE and put Link back in to remember how the settings work. There is no DC vs PWM selector in Link. That is a common misstep with iCUE. I couldn't find any settings that might affect the fans in that way. Link uses an Auto detect system which is also why the fans max out when Link is not in control.

If you just switched hardware and now it doesn't show on the new X299, it may need the usual chipset/driver updates from the MB manufacturer. That certainly can affect USB functionality, however I would expect the C-Pro to be missing vs half functional.

If it was working fine on the new hardware and then suddenly stopped, I wonder if there is an issue with the Commander Pro. We haven't seen too many controller failures on the C-Pro, but obviously nothing is invulnerable. Swap another fan to 4-5-6 to see if it shows, if you have not done so already. I don't think a simultaneous tach wire failure on 4-6 is likely, but if you have the same type of fan on 4-6, try temporarily plugging in some other type to see if there is a difference.

ok, tried a combinations of fans across all of the 6 ports. Nothing will show on 4-6.

It wasn't working fine on the new hardware. I finished building it and this is the outcome from the get go.

I was reading some other forums, they suggested moving the USB pump header back to the motherboard instead of the C-Pro. I'll lose my cases front USB 2.0 ports, but that's no big issue. I'll give that a try shortly.

Motherboard is on latest bios (A) and previous BIOS (B).

You can try that, but it should not matter for this issue. If there is a USB issue, then there is no Commander Pro. It's missing. It blinks in and out, etc. Not works fine 1-3 and not 4-6. This somewhat has to be a) software glitch - which seems unlikely since this is not a common problem and we would have seen it back on Link and it would be unlikely to carry over to iCUE. b) hardware problem on the Commander Pro - damage/fail on part of fan controller circuits.

There is a pin hole reset on the back of the Commander Pro. You could try this. I do not know if it will help. Also, be aware Link will likely see the Commander Pro as a "new device" after the reset and you will have to redo your fan curves and/or lighting.

Of course, you always can contact Corsair Tech Support through the Ticket System, however with the holidays upon us that may not be a quick response time.

It's going from bad to worse. Moving the H100i V2 header to the motherboard made no difference.

Today I find no case fans spinning and my HDDs cooking. Had unplug/replug the C/pro power to get the fans spinning again. Though, none of them are responding to temperature changes. They all appear to be spinning at minimum speeds.

C/Link is no longer showing any case fans either

I think I have a dead C/Pro.

Nothing open for the next few days that sells them. It's out of warranty, so I've had to move fans back to motherboard to keep system running.

Sitting at 60c - 70c for the drives can't be good for them. In the summer weather here they are normally at 40 - 45c.

Resetting the C/Pro didn't help

Edited by Yanta

Wait, you had a H100i v2 (3 pin) header on the C-Pro? Don’t do that. That is a power header for the entire cooler - pump, 2 fans, lighting. While it theoretically has to stay under the 1A MB standard limit, it’s pushing things a bit far on the Commander Pro. It also needs to be at 100% all the time, so there is no reason to burn a Commander Pro header and you should not control it from there. To be clear, the Commander Pro would never show the H100i fans if they are connected to the pump’s controller when hooked up this way. That information is passed down the usb line and to the AIO panel in iCUE. The USB line can most certainly use the Commander Pro’s usb pass through.

It seems probable you’ve blown out part of the fan controller relay. If you can’t get any of the headers to respond, you likely need a new fan controller.

Lol, happy holidays... No I didn't. The H100i V2 header is on the motherboard's PUMP_FAN header beside the ATX power connectors where it's always been (Refer to MSI X299 XPower Gaming AC manual here: https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7A91v1.2.pdf). Refer post #3 above where I said exactly that.

I should have said "USB Header to the motherboard". Omitting the word "USB" has lead to wrong conclusions.

To be clear: The ONLY things connected to the C/Pro were (a) 5 case fans (b). The H100i USB cable to the pump and ©. The temp sensors. I could have connected my HX850i USB connector to the C/Pro too... I just never bothered.

AT NO TIME DID I CONNECT THE PUMPS 3-PIN POWER CONNECTOR to the C/PRO.

So where does that leave us?

I do believe the C/Pro is faulty, but not for the reasons you assume.

Geez, forum software that changes words to be politically correct. That's really sad :( It's Christmas here. There are no holidays.

Edited by Yanta

Yeah, you have to watch where you throw your Merry C-bombs around here.

So I agree, I think we are still in the same place. We’ve seen single headers flake out because of software glitches, bad fan cables, or improper settings. However, a entire sequential bank out plus loss of control on the other bank strongly suggests the fan control circuit had a meltdown. I can’t remember if the warranty is two years or one, but you can certainly contact Corsair to RMA. Not sure what that timeline will look like over the holidays. You may need a temporary workaround or a new fan controller.

If we say that the C/Pro is a "Fan product" as defined in the warranty page, then yes it has a two year warranty. The documentation states to return it to the original place of purchase. Looks like the purchase date was March 2018.

I'll go through the retailers RMA process. Going by the last C/Pro I returned that will take 4 weeks, so I'll have to buy another one. (This is the 2nd of 5 C/Pro's to fail). They are only open 2 days over the next week which will add more delays I suppose.

I'm starting to worry that there is something wrong with my environment - I've had over a dozen coolers fail over 5 years, and now 2 C/Pro's. Also 1 x 1200w PSU. All Corsair.

If I RMA through Corsair direct I'm up for shipping costs it's probably not worth the trouble.

As a side note; One thing I learned early on with these is never use the tape on the device to stick to your case. They are difficult to remove after they've been there for a while.

Edited by Yanta

Australia? I am not familiar with Corsair's RMA policy there, but it likely is through the local authorized vendors, typical with Oceania and East Asia.

I would not describe the Commander Pro as bullet proof, although I think this is the most dramatic failure I can remember. Yeah, I don't stick mine on either. That thing gets pretty hot. I have a thermal picture somewhere. Center board temps will hit 37C even in a cool room. That is likely an area for improvement in any future version.

That many devices failing in that period of time would be indicative of an environmental issue.

Do you have your system on a UPS? If not, it may be worthwhile to invest in one.

Yes I do. Power issues here are rare. Maybe once every six months the power will flick off for a couple of seconds, and the occasional thunderstorm.

Heat might be more of an issue, which is why I am so paranoid about good air flow. This case has 5 fans + the two radiator fans. The problem is there is nowhere to place the C/Pro except on the back of the motherboard tray - where there is the least airflow.

The local retailer is the first point of contact for RMA. They then send it back through the local distributor in Sydney called Ingram Micro, who then send it on to Corsair.

• 4 weeks later...

The retailer has confirmed the C/Pro is dead. Took them almost 4 weeks to figure that out :)

They gave me a store credit because they say this item is "discontinued".

I found at least 15 stores with > 1 stock, so I will be able to get a new one..

But, this raises another question - What can I use in place of a C/Pro with the Corsair coolers and PSUs if the product is indeed no longer available?

Errr... please don't say 'iCue"... with all due respect, that product is unusable and massive bloatware. It hammers my systems non stop (CPU and disk), and still has more bugs than Windows 10.

Edited by Yanta

The Commander Pro is not discontinued. That would a massive hole in the control system. There are no other standalone Corsair fan controllers. These things get manufactured in one giant batch run. If supply is low, you are waiting for the next run. They don’t crank out 100 here or there to send somewhere. It sounds like they didn’t have any more, didn’t have an expectation date, ‘so take a credit and buy something else from us’ is easier for them. Edited by c-attack
predictive text sucks.