The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 04:11 PM
NicholasDX48BT2's PC Specs

POST ID # = 359312
NicholasDX48BT2 Reputation: 10

RamGuy -- thanks a lot. What I have now is:

Q9300 @ 2.50 Ghz (not overclocked), Bus speed 1333 Mhz (all default options)
DX48BT2
TW3X4G1333C9DHX (2x2GB) at 1.7V

Memory page: custom to be able to change from 1.54V to 1.70V, but that's the only thing I changed:
Reference Frequency = <default>
Memory Frequency = 1333 Mhz
tCL 9
tRCD 9
tRP 9
TRASmin 24
tRFC 60
tRRD 4
tWR 10
tWTR 5
tRTP 5
Voltage 1.70 V
Command Rate <Auto>

The main screen shows (display only/not changeable):
System bus speed 1333 MHz
System memory speed 1333 MHz
System memory speed override 1332 MHz

What's with the 1332 MHz?!

So you would suggest 1066 MHz and 7-7-7-20 but leave ALL other parameters the same, correct? (same bus speed, voltage, command rate, tRFC etc...)

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 359351
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

If you are not having a problem there is no need to lower the frequency but if you want to see how it performs sure it will not hurt the memory. But we do not test them at those settings so test with www.memtest.org to make sure it is stable.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 PM
mlhearn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360037
mlhearn Reputation: 10
Default Which memory for DX48bt2?

This a plea and addition to the current thread.

I also purchased TW3X4G1333C9DHX (2x2GB) memory and have not been able to get this to work on the DX48BT2 with Q9450. Performed all the BIOS updates, manually set voltage to 1.7V, etc. System runs cool has plenty of power... When both 2 GB DIMMs are installed in the system, it is highly unstable, couldn't load OS... The system is much more reliable with only one DIMM, and this is how I've loaded OS, applications and BIOS updates, but running applications such as IE resets the system every 10-15 minutes. Either DIMM works in either slot, and both pass all memory tests, but I can't use both at same time.

I've read through this thread, the other Corsair threads on DX48BT2 and other web sites, and see that this problem is very common, and I have not found anyone that has been able to get this memory to work. It seems everyone has given up and either bought new motherboards or new memory, though not sure which memory. On this site, some folks tried to get 1600Mhz version of the same Corsair memory to work, but typically ran into issues as well.

So, does anyone know of a particular 4GB setup that works? I prefer two 2GB DIMMS so that I can upgrade to more memory with a 64 bit OS in future? I have found a competitor version that has been tested at 800Mhz, but would prefer a faster speed.

Any help is much appreciated!
And thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Dave England798's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360095
Dave England798 Reputation: 10
Confused Ref DX48BT2 AND TW3X4G1333C9DHX

Hi all please excuse me butting in i am new to these forums and am experiencing exactly the same problem as the above poster i just cannot get this memory to run at 1333mhz i have tried 9,9,9,24 and upping voltage from 1.54v to 1.7v and the board still reads the memory at 1066mhz my Main BIOS page reads
sys bus speed = 1333mhz
sys mem speed = 1066mhz
sys mem override = 1332mhz
i have updated to the latest BIOS 1782 and still the board states the memory speed is 1066mhz i am not keen to overclock i just want my memory to run at the speed it is intended i unwitttingly assumed it would run at 1333mhz how wrong i was could you please tell me Mr Ramguy what settings if any i need to adjust in order to gain 1333mhz

Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 360171

Dave England798 Please try and set the memory frequency manually and if you are not sure how to set it please contact the MB make as they would be the best place to get help with thier MB and MB BIOS and how it works.

mlhearn please set the tested settings and test the modules one at a time with memtest.org and let's make sure one is not failing.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Dave England798's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360177
Dave England798 Reputation: 10
Sigh..

I have tried all settings using all the recommended settings and also the settings quoted by your many forum users i still cant get this memory to run at the correct speed. it is not too much of an issue as i can still use my pc at 1066mhz it is just a nuisance to know i paid for memory that will not run at the speed it is supposed to. i have done extensive research into this problem and it seems to me either one of 2 things either the memory or the motherboard is goosed and since i dont have a replacement of either to further test my theory it is summat i will have to live with any further help would be greatly appreciated since the memory is quoted as being able to run at the correct speed in this motherboard

Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 360193

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:01 PM
mamow's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360369
mamow Reputation: 10
Default count me in...

same troubles.

manually set those timings and the board is more stable, except for restarts that seem random, but which seem to share streaming audio as a common thread.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 360383

Let's get them replaced and see what happens!

Old 08-03-2008, 02:46 PM
mlhearn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360516
Default DX48bt2 and TWX3X4G1333C9DHX

RAM Guy,

Thanks for the recommendation to test with memtest.org. I had originally tested with the memory test supplied with OS and found no issues and was suspecting the motherboard or incompatibility.

Per your suggestion I tested each module (labeled MEM1 and MEM2) one at a time with memtest.org latest test. In addition, I tested each channel of the memory controller to see if errors moved with the memory. I was still suspicious of MB. The only setting that had to be manually set was voltage to 1.7V, everything else was correct including frequency (though in one place it reports 1332Mhz versus 1333Mhz).

MEM 1, Channel A - 36 test passes, ~12 hours, one single bit error
MEM 1, Channel B - 34 test passes, 11 hours, 0 errors
MEM 2, Channel A - 3 passes, 1 hour lock up, 30K+ errors
MEM 2, Channel B - 9 passes, 3 hours, 200K+ errors

So MEM 2 experienced 100,000s of errors. MEM 1 experienced one single bit error in 24 hours. Since these are a matched pair of DIMMs, should I send both back?

Please advice,
mlhearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
mlhearn please set the tested settings and test the modules one at a time with memtest.org and let's make sure one is not failing.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 360669

Yes let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:33 PM
NicholasDX48BT2's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360679
NicholasDX48BT2 Reputation: 10

All -- yes, there are issues with the DX48BT2. The conclusion is that Intel released a board that has some bugs/issues in some cases, and is not always compatible in a "plug-and-play/bug-free" manner with all configurations that it lists as compatible. Which is not what people expect from Intel (and is the reason often people would choose Intel over other brands, to avoid those kind of issues, the "beta-tester" feeling).

Some users have no issues. Some have minor bugs (which some people ignored or did not notice and classified as "no issues"). Some have severe issues. Also note that people that post reviews saying that it's all good when they've used the system lightly for only 3 days, or after they see an issue they make a setting change and use the computer one evening and do not see a BSOD again or crash and say it's OK, is not good. People have found BSOD and severe errors the first time after a week of running and traced it to incompatibility, settings issue, hardware issue, software/driver bug. OK to me means no crash, no BSOD, no boot issue/bug, etc, for at least > 1-2 weeks of use, and also > 8-12 hrs of Memtest with each module. (I'm only talking about non-overclocked boards here, not overclocking). There are also tests like Prime etc that stress the CPU and cache, etc, that people do when overclocking.

In my case, I pointed out two bugs to Intel, that they have independently confirmed (Intel itself duplicated the bug on their own PC), and are in the process of investigating (it's taking a long time), and in particular the unsucessful boot POST issue that some have experienced (I'm NOT talking about the case where the message pops everytime if you have a problem with settings or failed hardware). I also had in my specific case a bad memory module that I have replaced. I have an occasional BSOD that is linked to the ATI display driver that has been experienced by many many people with Vista in general and not specifically my confirguration and it's very very unfrequent so it may take me a while to track and may just be another Vista/ATI bug.

Also, as shown above, several hours of Memtest are needed before saying that "the memory is OK".

RamGuy and mlhearn - does this mean that both your modules are defective, or could it be the board itself? More precisely, which slots did you check? How come the memory 1 tests OK for 11 hours but on another test it has one error? Does that mean that really we should test memory for super super long (like 24 hours?) to ensure that it is fine, since you had a 50% chance of not seeing the error with your first module over a long 11 hour test? Would that mean also that your memory 2 which has tons of bugs made your system crash, and memory 1 has less bugs so it's more stable but still has issues?

My understanding is no matter how long the test is, there should be NO errors ever? I tested my new memory modules 8 hours only, so now I'm wondering...Does it hurt to test for like 24 hours?? It's stressing the components...

Old 08-04-2008, 05:16 PM
boba303's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360691
boba303 Reputation: 10

Hi Nichloas

I've been reading you thread earlier but now I thought I could give some input regarding mems showing good test at some time and 2-3 errors at another.

I got the problem that running memtest with Dual channel mode I can get errors around ~56 000. When running them apart from each other, one gives more errors then the other. Follow link to the thread I currently having in case you find this relevant.

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=71399

Im using TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHXIN memory's on a MSI X48 Platinum board. (Just see specs for more info)

Old 08-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 360692

I cannot comment about Intel and their problems they may have other than to say I have not seen problems like you are describing when using their MB's.
And the reason I suggested replacing the memory to take that out of the equation. I would suggest we go ahead and replace the modules and if you still have the same problem then I would get the MB replaced.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:31 PM
mlhearn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 360746
Default DX48bt2 and TWX3X4G1333C9DHX

RAMGUY,

I've started the RMA process and will send both DIMMs back.

Like NicholasDX48BT2, I also purchased an Intel MB with the expectation that it was more likley to be fully tested and stable. Especially for a none tweaked/not OC application. I'm still not sure if that's the case, but I was surprised how quickly Intel has offered to replace the MB. I'm waiting on the new memory and hope that will work.

NicholasDX48BT2 raises a good point, how many memory errors are acceptable and over what period of time? Especially since I'm running without ECC. And, should ECC support be the default going forward on performance builds?

Thanks Mike (mlhearn)