The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2004, 12:48 PM

POST ID # = 143391
Laen Reputation: 10
Default Same Problems

I have the same problems, my setup is, AMD64 3400+ Newcastle, 2x512 Corsair 3200XL and the K8N Neo Platinum. I bought the memory and motherboard as a COMBO package from Zipzoomfly. When i put the memory in slots 1 and 2 it only runs at 200mhz and is VERY unstable. When i put the memory in slots 2 and 3, it will run at 166mhz(without changing settings, very odd) pretty stable. Now I remeber mixing it up using 1 module or changing modules order in the slots and somehow in one combination it went up to 333mhz with out changing any bios settings just had them on auto, but it was very unstable, which was very odd, I've tryed to recreate it and it doesn't happen anymore. All i want is to run these at rated 400mhz with stabablity. I've tryed my old corsair memory and i get unstabability... Sorry, if this is all confusing, but basicly I'm saying that I can only get it to run at 166mhz, at 200 or up there is too many errors and reboots. Also when I run memtest my processor shows up as a sempron... If any solutions **** please post!

Last edited by Laen; 09-14-2004 at 12:52 PM.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 143393
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

I would test the modules one at a time with www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing. If they both pass then you should install them in slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and I would set the Rass to Cass TRCD to "3" as well and see if that is more stable!

Old 09-14-2004, 01:16 PM

POST ID # = 143397
Zembla Reputation: 10

@ Joel:

I have bought my stick from a local shop, www.forcom.be is their website (I'm from Belgium).

Well, what puzzles me most is there are people who succesfully run their VS512MB400's at 400Mhz without flaws on a K8N Neo Platinum board.

I haven't checked what Forcom has to say about a possible faulty RAM stick though yet, and when I do check, I want to know all I have to know (such as, in case it is indeed a compatibility issue : which new RAM to buy, or where to upgrade to.)

@Ram Guy

Thanks for the response, I'll modify my signature straight away. In the meanwhile I can respond to your questions:

My system is composed of:
  • MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard
  • 1x VS512MB400
  • Athlon 64 3000+
  • ATi Radeon 9800 Pro

I have my RAM in slot nr1. The voltage is set to 2.7V, I've put the CAS timings to : 2.5-3-3-8.
The 1T/2T option is put to AUTO, I have run memtest86+ for approximately 10.75h and I had 18 errors, all on test 5. My motherboard is flashed to the latest BIOS version.

Testing the memory in another system might be difficult at the moment, I could try though.

<Z>

Old 09-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 143403

I would say let's try replacing your module. Please see if the reseller will let you get that module replaced. If they will not or cannot help you then please submit the RMA request directly.
Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Old 09-15-2004, 09:42 AM

POST ID # = 143528
boone Reputation: 10

Guess i'll add my problems to this thread aswell

I'm running a msi k8n neo platoinum mb, with the corsair value sticks (400mhz). I recently replaced my 2 sticks because of errors i found im memtest, and hoped that would fix my problems with them not working as a pair on the mb, but they still don't.

One stick in slot 1 works fine, it runs at 400mhz. 2 sticks doesn't work, no matter which slots i put them in, and i've tried resetting the bios every time i switch slots.

I've also tried setting the memory timings in the bios prior to changing the slots, and still no luck.

Both sticks have been tested in slot 1, and there are no errors at all on them, they just refuse to work as a pair.

Grateful for any help ;).

Some of my setup;
AMD Athlon64 3000+
radeon 9800pro

2x Corsair value 512mb 400mhz (NOT xms).

Old 09-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 143542
Wired Reputation: 32

Are they VS512MB400 or VS512MB400C3? Is it a kit or were they purchased as single modules?

Have you run memtest on them? Have you tried one stick at a time in slots other than the first one?
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 09-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 143562

I would RMA the CPU from what you have posted boone!

Old 09-16-2004, 09:38 AM

POST ID # = 143718
Zembla Reputation: 10

Ok, I've went to the shop, they gave me a new RAM stick without any hassle, testing it with memtest now, and after 1 pass still no error at test 5 (the only test that failed me). Normally with the other stick I'd get 2-250000 errors, depending on what slot I put it in.

I'm curious to see if my RAM will prove error free (mmm, that rhymes )

<Z>

Old 09-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 143749

Then you followed my advice and it looks like we made the right choice. Please let me know how you make out!

Old 09-19-2004, 04:16 PM

POST ID # = 144258
donbruce Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY
I would RMA the CPU from what you have posted boone!
The CPU? The Athlon 64? I am just curious as to why the CPU might be the problem. I am having much the same trouble with the exact same processor with an MSK K8N NEO FSR. I get errors in slot 1 in MEMTEST but when I try moving my memory to slots 2 and 3, my computer wont even start up (it beeps and thats it).

Old 09-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 144269

I'm guessing he recommended that the CPU should be RMA'd because that is where the memory controller lies.

Check your manual, it may not boot without memory in slot 1.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group

Old 01-22-2005, 11:20 PM

POST ID # = 169421
ofcsilencer Reputation: 10

this is one club i wish i didnt' have to join into but i too have a k8n neo platinum motherboard 3400 amd athlon 64 with the vs512mb400 memory and i was getting bluescreens till i switched memory chips with a friend that had something like valueram. now that chip works and the one i got was giving me random bluescreens at any time. could run for a minute could run for four hours. but i know its something with the ram either the settings or a bad chip. any suggestions?

Old 01-23-2005, 03:17 AM

POST ID # = 169430
joelcorley Reputation: 10

ofcsilencer,

I applied for an RMA through both Corsair and ZipZoomFly, where I purchased my stick of memory. Both companies quickly agreed to the RMA based on the results of MemTest86.

I ended up sending the memory back to ZipZoomFly, who replaced it; but rather than waiting for the round-trip shipping, I ordered a stick of Mushkin Blue Line ( http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...146-212&depa=1 ) to replace it.

Fortunately a good friend of mine had also recently bought a stick of Corsair ValueRam for another machine and was willing to take mine off of me for the going price at ZipZoomFly, so while I was inconvinenced, I didn't actually loose out on anything except for time.

My experience is only a sample of one; but that same friend that bought my stick of memory also bought the same motherboard and memory configuration about a week after I purchased mine. (He seems to buy a new box every year and has 5 machines in his house - one for the wife, 2 for the kids and 1 as an entertainment system.) He had the exact same problem. He was fortunate however. He had another machine with a stick of Mushkin Blue Line in it and after swapping memory between the systems, he found they were both stable and would pass memory tests.

Based on my experience and my friend's, I suspect this particular line of Corsair memory has timing problems with this motherboard and/or CPU. They may have fixed it since I purchased mine; but I know I'll probably shy away from at least the low-end Corsair memory in future purchases.

- Joel

Old 01-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 169610

the 754 board, correct? what is the revision of the memory?

How To Read the Memory Label

Old 01-28-2005, 07:52 AM

POST ID # = 170647
progressive Reputation: 10

Hello Guys , same problem here.This is my system :
AMD 64 3000+,MSI K8N NEO FSR,1 STICK CORSAIR VS512MB400,ATI 9800 PRO,PSU 420W.The system is not overclocked , all settings are set to defaults and memory timings to SPD ,2T to AUTO.

In the first and second slot , I get memtest errors (tested with 2.7 volts).
In the third slot works fine(no memtest errorsand default voltage).

I've tested the Value Select into an ASUS P4C800 with memtest (test 5) for 8 hours with NO errors.

I've also tested a stick of CORSAIR XMS512MB 3500 C2 (SPD settings) in my MSI motherboard and works fine .(tested tin memtest for 8 hours with NO errors).

RAM GUY (AND EVERYBODY) I NEED YOUR OPINION ON THIS .IS IT MEMORY COMPATIBILITY ISSUE ? !!!