Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 PM

POST ID # = 142240
joelcorley Reputation: 10
Sad

RamGuy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY
I have tested several lot's of our value select and have not found any problems thus far, so I would have too assume that the few users having trouble either just have a bad module or some other problem that has not been identified, and if you are having problems I would suggest we try and replace your modules and go from there if you still have problems, or as you have done test with another system!
I bought this exact same configuration from ZipZoomFly on 08/15/04:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor Socket 754 Retail
MSI K8N Neo Platinum Retail
Corsair VS512MB400 512MB DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory Retail

The machine is unstable -- it BSODs at least twice a day. I've tried raising the memory voltage to 2.7V and I've toyed with the timings. It doesn't seem to change anything. Raising the FSB on this machine even the slightest takes the machine down in seconds. I still plan to run MemTest86 and try swapping out the memory; however, it's been more than 15days since the purchase and ZipZoomFly tells me they will not do RMAs on any memory past 15 days so at this point I assume this memory is probably going back to Corsair.

BTW: A very good friend of mine bought this same configuration after hearing what I was buying. He's had the same problems, except worse. His machine BSODs several times an hour making it completely unusable. He bought another stick from Mushkin last week and has had no problem since he replaced the stick of Value Select. (He's just over the 15-day limit and ZipZoomFly said no dice on his RMA request as well.)

I'll have time to run memtest tomorrow night; but I'm reluctant to fork over more money for another stick of memory just to test the motherboard. Especially given my friend's experience, I suspect the memory in any case.

Beyond relating my experience, I have a question. My question is: Would Corsair be willing to do an exchange/upgrade for higher performance memory? I assume that higher performance (CAS2) memory would be less susceptible to these types of problems, yes?

- Joel

Old 09-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 142396
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Joel,
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and if you have more than one module I would suggest slots 2-3 or 1-3 and test them one at a time with www.memtest.org and lets make sure it's not some other problem!

Old 09-08-2004, 10:18 PM

POST ID # = 142403

RamGuy!

Quote:
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and if you have more than one module I would suggest slots 2-3 or 1-3 and test them one at a time with www.memtest.org and lets make sure it's not some other problem!
BIOS and driver updates were my first thought. Voltage was the second.

I'm just about to give memtest a go. I'll let you know the results...

BTW: ZipZoomFly responded affirmatively to yesterday's RMA request. Their response was a form letter/email. I need to give them a phone call I guess. I assume a better/faster grade of memory would probably be less susceptable to these kinds of problems. Like I said in my previous post, I'm thinking an upgrade rather than just a replacement is in order -- I'm willing to spend a few bucks to avoid wasting my time running diagnostics and rebooting the system. I guess I should have gone that route the first time instead of trying to save a few bucks...

- Joel

Old 09-08-2004, 11:50 PM

POST ID # = 142417
Unhappy

RamGuy!

Quote:
Ok. It fails Memtest86 pretty readily. 529 errors on just the first pass of test #5 in the 465-480MB region.

That's using auto (SPD) memory settings of 2.5-3-3-8, 200Mhz FSB (DDR400) and 2.7 Volts.

Since this is the only stick in the system (first slot) and the memory is supposed to be rated as PC3200, I don't see any point in trying to tweak the timings just to pass this test for you; but I might do it out of curiosity for myself.

You still didn't answer my real question: Would Corsair exchange the memory for a better/faster stick? (Assuming I pay the price difference, of course.)

It looks now like ZipZoomFly is going to work with me; but if things fall through with them, it would be nice to know if I have any other options.

- Joel

Old 09-09-2004, 09:32 AM

POST ID # = 142465
SimonS Reputation: 10
Send a message via ICQ to SimonS

I've same problems too!

I've bought me a new Mobo, the MSI K8N Neo Platinum G54 (nforce 3 250gb, board rev.1, mps version 1.4, bios 1.1 i guess); a new Cpu, a AMD 64 3000+ and a new Graphics Accelerator (Geforce FX6800).

In my old system (nforce 2 ultra 400) there were these ram:
1) 512mb Corsair XMS 3200 (I guess rev.2.2) CL2
2) 256mb Corsair XMS 3200LL (rev.1.2) CL2 (winbond ch-05 chips)

Both worked with ddr 400 (200mhz) and good 2-2-5-2 Timings together.
Now I wanted to put them in my new system and they work only with ddr 333 (166mhz) together, if I put only one of them on the mobo it work with ddr400 !
With slower timings and dimm volts with 2.7V they wouldn't work better than with fast timings and a dimm volt of 2,5V.

Can anyone help me?

Old 09-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 142480

SimonS
You do not have the same issue, in your case you are trying to mix memory and with this MB I am sorry it may not work! Most of the MB's on the market may not even post if the modules are not exactly matched. And the fact that you had these both working on another system would suggest it's not a memory problem, but rather a configuration issue! Sorry!

joelcorley
First thing, I am sorry we do not sell direct and have no way to process that type of transaction, please ask your reseller if you want to change to another part#! We would be happy to replace any module that is not running at what it supposed too under our RMA policy, but only for the same part that you send in sorry!
If you would like for us to replace your modules, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Last edited by RAM GUY; 09-13-2004 at 12:33 PM.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:59 PM

POST ID # = 142522
generalmax Reputation: 10
Default MSI K8N Neo

A common problem with this mobo: The mobo shuts down or cycles at random intervals. This is caused by the use of a PS2 keyboard. Switching to a USB keyboard solves the problem. The problem arises only with some motherboards but if you have that problem, it is tough to fix.

Unlikely that it's caused by memory...but just my 2 cents!

Old 09-11-2004, 08:20 PM

POST ID # = 142977
Zembla Reputation: 10

Quote:
gtkp10 and myjet,
I have tested several lot's of our value select and have not found any problems thus far, so I would have too assume that the few users having trouble either just have a bad module or some other problem that has not been identified, and if you are having problems I would suggest we try and replace your modules and go from there if you still have problems, or as you have done test with another system!
Could you give me the full BIOS settings under which you've tested?

I have the same problem (I guess) as described here (same mobo/RAM combo), and now I'd like to be sure if the frequent windows shutdowns are indeed caused by RAM or by my power supply or anything else. Also, you understand we have bought PC3200 memory and would like it to run at PC3200 speeds instead of PC2700 speeds, even if it would run more stable at those speeds.

The settings in the BIOS - as you've tested them - that I'm most interested in finding out about are:
[Agressive timing]
[High Performance Mode]
And also of course the timing settings and if this is 1T/2T or Auto timing.

[Edit]
I've switched the 1T/2T to Auto, I don't really know what they do (as my BIOS provides no explanation for this function) but I figure Auto switches to the best working option? Also, I've run memtest (albeit not for long (I ran for 25mins so far)) and I only get 2 errors in test 5, should this rather be 0 errors or is there an error tolerance? I'll try to keep memtest running for a little while.

[edit2]
Been running it for 10.5 hours now, got 18 errors on test 5, 0 on the other tests

One other thing about the memtest86+: in the display it says I'm using a 2010Mhz AMD Sempron, while there's in effect an Athlon 64 plugged in, is this normal?

Sorry for all my ignorance ;)

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
A.K.

Last edited by Zembla; 09-12-2004 at 07:17 AM.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:06 AM

POST ID # = 143141
Question

bump

<Z>

Old 09-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 143171

Zembla,
Please either start a new thread and list you complete system specs and our modules part# you have installed and I will be happy to give you more detailed settings, but I have posted this many times! In addition, the settings can be found by following the link in my signature and looking up your part#! Some MB's do not use the same definitions for the settings and some times you need to translate them. This is done by matching the TRCD, TRP, or TRAS settings given in XMS Qualification and Testing for the specific module you have!

Last edited by RAM GUY; 09-14-2004 at 12:01 PM.

Old 09-13-2004, 09:13 PM

POST ID # = 143315
Unhappy

Quote:
joelcorley
First thing, I am sorry we do not sell direct and have no way to process that type of transaction, please ask your reseller if you want to change to another part#! We would be happy to replace any module that is not running at what it supposed too under our RMA policy, but only for the same part that you send in sorry!
If you would like for us to replace your modules, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!
Thanks RamGuy.

First, let me tell you that if I change the memory speed to 166Mhz (DDR2700), I can change the memory timings to CAS2 and this stick performs flawlessly. In fact, now that I've locked my memory bus at 166Mhz, I can now seriously overclock my CPU. I'm currently running my AMD64 3000+ at 2300Mhz and it's rock solid. (I believe someone else here posted a similar experience.)

I purchased this memory on 08/17/04 from ZipZoomFly. ZipZoomFly has a 15-day return policy for memory and they count the week it takes to ship. Unfortunately, I was laid up from surgery the following week and couldn't be bothered to mess with my new system.

I applied to ZipZoomFly for an RMA. Despite the delay they agreed, but were unclear on the terms. After several exchanges, they clarified that they would do a refund or replacement at my option; but... If I require a refund they would keep 20% of my purchase price as a "restocking" fee. (I don't know where the 20% comes from, since their only posted restocking fee applies to non-defective returns and the number is 15%.)

A friend of mine bought the exact same m/b, memory and CPU combination from ZipZoomFly a week after I did. He has had the exact same problem. For this reason an exchange from the lot in ZipZoomFly's inventory is unacceptable since I'm skeptical that the replacement part would work any better. A partial refund of the purchase price of memory that doesn't work as rated is also unacceptable.

I'm presuming that if Corsair replaces this memory it will at least come from another production lot. My other option is to return the memory to ZipZoomFly and dispute the charge on my credit card.

For the moment, I assume I'll ignore the ZipZoomFly RMA and request an RMA through Corsair.

- Joel

Old 09-14-2004, 08:36 AM

POST ID # = 143356

Quote:
Zembla,
Please either start a new thread and list you complete system specs and our modules part# you have installed and I will be happy to give you more detailed settings, but I have posted this many times! In addition, the settings can be found by following the link in my signature and looking up your part#! Some MB's do not use the same definitions for the settings and some times you need to translate them. This is done by matching the TRCD, TRP, or TRAS settings given in XMS Qualification and Testing for the specific module you have!
Well,

I've got the EXACT same motherboard and EXACT same RAM, so I figured a whole new thread dedicated to the exact same problem would be some sort of a waste of space.

The other things I asked really weren't RAM-related, well, all but the question what the normal error return is in Memtest86+, is it normal to have some errors?

BTW: Lot # = 0432041-0 (VS512MB400)

<Z>

Last edited by RAM GUY; 09-14-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:12 PM

POST ID # = 143381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembla
Well,

I've got the EXACT same motherboard and EXACT same RAM, so I figured a whole new thread dedicated to the exact same problem would be some sort of a waste of space.

The other things I asked really weren't RAM-related, well, all but the question what the normal error return is in Memtest86+, is it normal to have some errors?

BTW: Lot # = 0432041-0 (VS512MB400)

<Z>
Zembla,

Thanks for posting your lot#. Mine is Lot #0431067-0.

Given that my lot an yours are significantly different, I have to believe this is a design/compatability/QA problem with Corsair for this brand of memory.

That pretty much cinches it for me. I don't see why I should be wasting my money shipping this memory across the country just to get another, probably defective stick. I'm going to think about it a little further today; but I may just go through the hassle of fighting ZipZoomFly for the refund. I don't know yet; but we'll see...

In the mean time, I still haven't heard back from Corsair for an RMA; but then I just sent in the request late yesterday...

I have one more question. Who did you purchase this memory from? All I really want to know is, Was it ZipZoomFly? (Lot numbers don't have to be sequential and could include a date code or something... But that doesn't appear to be the case.)

- Joel

Old 09-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 143386

LOL! Well that’s fine, but you two have to understand a few things, you know what you have but I DO NOT! And for me too help you that information I really need to know! So please take the time and create a signature and make a list of what’s in your systems! That would help me a great deal with helping you find a solution! For now is this what you have in your system?
1. MSI K8N Neo Platinum Socket 754
2. 2-VS512MB400
3. AMD 64 3000+
4. NVIDIA NV6800 Video

If so please test the modules one at a time with www.memtest.org and just load setup or optimized defaults and then exit saving changes and test with www.memtest.org. In addition, if both modules pass they should be installed in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and you should set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well as you should have the latest bios! That being said that fact that you both are having the same problem or symptoms might suggest there is some setting or a configuration that is not correct.
Also testing the memory in another system would help isolate the problem and may help you figure out where to focus your attention!

Old 09-14-2004, 12:41 PM

POST ID # = 143389
dukeman75 Reputation: 10

Hey Ramguy,

i have a question for you. i might get a msi k8n neo platinum socket 754 with a 64 3200+. i have 1 gig of twinx cmx 3200xlpro that is version 1.1 that is still in the package.

will there be a problem with this memory and motherboard combo? i see that most are having trouble with the value select memory and i was wondering if it is carrying over to the xlpro series.

thanks before hand
Peter