Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 04:49 PM

POST ID # = 132680
roethlar Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to roethlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter99
I don't have Q-Fan enabled. The RPM of the CPU fan is quite the same in BIOS and Win. My Chassisfan is alwas at full speed cause it can't be controlled by BIOS. Seems that the CPU is more busy in the BIOS...

What are your temperatures Idle/Load? Can you notice a higher Idle-temp in BIOS than in Windows, too?
Could have something to do with the fact that Windows XP issues NOOPs when idle, which will cool the CPU down a lot. Basically, when the CPU isn't doing anything, Windows turns it "off" for a clock cycle or something like that. In the BIOS, that doesn't happen. The CPU is always on.

But then again I could be wrong.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:22 PM
ixion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 132741
ixion Reputation: 10

Quote:
Quote form the manual (p. 4-20):
"This feature [Cool N' Quiet] requires the AMD CPU heatsink and fan assembly with monitor chip. If you purchased a separate heatsink and fan package, use the ASUS Q-Fan Technology feature to automaticallly adjust the CPU fan speed according to your system loading"
I would be surprised if the stock HSF has anything special other than an RPM monitor for the fan (which is the third wire/pin connecting to the mobo) which almost all HSF fans support. I'll look into it some more. But the end result of using QFAN with a 3rd party HSF is the same.

Quote:
I don't have Q-Fan enabled. The RPM of the CPU fan is quite the same in BIOS and Win. My Chassisfan is alwas at full speed cause it can't be controlled by BIOS. Seems that the CPU is more busy in the BIOS...

What are your temperatures Idle/Load? Can you notice a higher Idle-temp in BIOS than in Windows, too?
My temps are the same in the BIOS and Windows. About 34C idle and 48C load.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:43 PM

POST ID # = 132781
lkHyperX Reputation: 10

have any of you guys tried the 1.5v cpu/2.8v DDR? ixion's setup is 1.5/2.7, but I was wondering if 2.8v would be better for the RAM. maybe if I up the DDR voltage, I have to up the cpu as well..

Old 07-20-2004, 12:58 AM

POST ID # = 132788
Tempo36 Reputation: 10
Default RAM Voltage

I had the RAM set to 2.8V for a while and have since dropped it back to 2.7V. There doesn't appear to be any difference and for the time being, both settings are stable.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:16 AM
ixion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 132828

The lower setting will generate less heat. Try 2.7v and run MEMTEST overnight to see if you get any errors. If not, i'd stick with that.

I read in another thread that the ASUS BIOS will actually set it to 2.75v when you select 2.7v. I have not confirmed this though.

Old 07-21-2004, 03:10 AM

POST ID # = 133045

hey ixion, why do you perfer the BFG 6800 GT OC over the 6800 ultra?

Old 07-21-2004, 02:05 PM
ixion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 133157

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkHyperX
hey ixion, why do you perfer the BFG 6800 GT OC over the 6800 ultra?
It's WAY better value.

First, the 6800 GT is more compact and only needs a single slot (the Ultra's cooling takes up two). Second, it only needs a single molex power connector (the Ultra needs 2). Third, the 6800 GT won't run as hot and won't suck all that power. Fourth, the GT is $100 to $200 cheaper.

And finally, there is no difference in the chip between the GT and Ultra. Both use 16 pipelines. The only diff is that the GT runs at 350MHz stock (although BFG has OCed it to 370MHz) and the Ultra runs at 400MHz. Well in reallity,
the 6800 GT can EASILY be overclock to over 400MHz which gives it the same performance as an Ultra! I've overclocked to 420MHz no problem.

I'm waiting for the Zalman ZM80D VGA heat pipe to come in. Once installed, I'll probably run the GT at 400-420MHz full time.

Regarding 6800 GT versus ATI X800 Pro, I think 6800 is a better choice because it beats the X800 Pro in most benchmarks, it support 16 pipes versus 12 on the X800 Pro, and it supports Shader Model 3.0 which is supported in DirectX 9.0c. FarCry will support SM3.0 in Patch 1.2. And many game manufacturers have said they will support it in upcoming games.

If you read the reviews, you'll see that 6800GT with SM3.0 enabled beats the crap out of X800Pro and comes near to X800 Ultra performance.

Please, no flames, I like ATI very much! I'm Canadian eh. I've owned ATI and love their cards. But this time around, I went with nVidia.

Old 07-21-2004, 02:37 PM

POST ID # = 133170

isnt the card already oc'd to 370 mhz (therefore running at higher stock temps)? and wouldn't overclocking it to say 400-420mhz core clock increase the tempature even further on the GT because it doesnt have the large heatsink? im curious because im thinking of canceling my ultra and purchasing the gt.

ps - how do you feel about asus saying that they'll release a revised version of the A8V.. I just purchased it and they said they'll release a updated version of the mobo itself. that pissed me off

heres the link to it:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128

Old 07-21-2004, 02:58 PM

POST ID # = 133179
shooter99 Reputation: 10

Quote:
ps - how do you feel about asus saying that they'll release a revised version of the A8V.. I just purchased it and they said they'll release a updated version of the mobo itself. that pissed me off

heres the link to it:
What the ********** hell is that supposed to mean. Why's ASUS doing that, what's wrong with the first version.

Damn, I hate the thought that I've payed 120€ for a premature board

Old 07-21-2004, 04:37 PM
ixion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 133197

Quote:
isnt the card already oc'd to 370 mhz (therefore running at higher stock temps)? and wouldn't overclocking it to say 400-420mhz core clock increase the tempature even further on the GT because it doesnt have the large heatsink? im curious because im thinking of canceling my ultra and purchasing the gt.
Yes, it's OCed, and I assume BFG is using a higher speed fan to compensate. I understand your logic, which is why i said i was getting the Zalman ZM80D VGA cooler. It's only $36, so you still end up with an Ultra that is cheaper, is cooled better and uses only 1 slot and 1 molex. Good deal.

Quote:

heres the link to it:
Ya, I also saw this. Pissed me off. I was also upset that Anandtech didn't include it in the review. They should have included the current version just to see how it compared. Makes us feel like we have garbage... "we can't include the current version of the A8V because it's crap and ASUS told us it's crap and it wouldn't have performed well against the other mobos...", not an actual quote, but sure sounds like what they meant to say. I shouldn't be so harsh, so far, I like the A8V.

I think the new version will fix the AGP/PCI lock issue. Another thing is that the A8V price has dropped ~$30-40 in the past week. For me, it's not too late to return it and maybe wait for the new version. I have 2 PCs and a laptop so I can do without my rig for a while.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:17 PM

POST ID # = 133268

Could anyone plz tell me where I can read my mobo's revision number?!
Asusprobe just says "Rev 1.xx" and "MB-1234567890" for serial.

The other thing I heared is that all A8V wiht 45MG0Jxxxx and higher Serialno don't have the AGP/PCI Lock problem, and that the option will be fixed in BIOS 1007. Hopefully that's the case. Ohterwise I will RMA my board when there is a Rev 2.0 and get that one.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 133275
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

The revision # will normally be printed on the MB where the model # is with most MB's! For example ASUS P4C800-E is printed between the PCI slots and bellow and to one side is Rev 1.02 on mine!

Old 07-21-2004, 08:52 PM

POST ID # = 133277

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY
The revision # will normally be printed on the MB where the model # is with most MB's! For example ASUS P4C800-E is printed between the PCI slots and bellow and to one side is Rev 1.02 on mine!
Yeah, you're right, it's been printet between the PCI slots! Thanks!

Old 07-21-2004, 09:23 PM
ixion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 133282

Just FYI, mine is v 1.02. Seems like most people have this version.

Old 07-21-2004, 11:06 PM

POST ID # = 133293

yeah same. verison 1.2 for me as well. ixion - I decided to stay with the eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra. I'll just use coolbits 2.0 and overclock it manually D:

btw - it sucks having a premature board, they should take all their defective crap back and give us the updated version for free :x