The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM
falz's PC Specs

POST ID # = 654838
falz Reputation: 10
Default Ssd not detected in bios

Hi everyone.
This is a problem i believe ive encountered before but i have no memory of how i fixed it.
Basicly i turned off my computer the other day and when i came back a few days later i got the message that boot mgr was missing. I quickly realised this was because my bios wasnt detecting my ssd. From the last time i fixed it i remembered something with a cold boot or what it was called where the power had to be cut completely and doing this would make the drive pop up, which it did. the thing is if i go into the flash utility in my bios i can access all my drives and open them and see the files on them but as soon as i try booting up window it will just stuck at the windows logo, and the drive will be gone from the bios till the next cold boot.
Ive tried jumping my motherboard and updating my bios to the latest version with no results.
Any ideas?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Arun krishnamoo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 654872
Arun krishnamoo Reputation: 10

Looks like I am not alone. see my post below. I got no good explanation/ solution for this.
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=118481

Old 05-22-2013, 02:09 PM
falz's PC Specs

POST ID # = 654897
falz Reputation: 10

I did install windows on another harddrive, and just now completely random my ssd shows up among other drives when im inside windows, i can access the files aswell, but i can't seem to boot from it.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Incriminated's PC Specs

POST ID # = 654917
Incriminated Reputation: 10

cables (power and data) needs to be checked, you didnt say you already checked those, that means not only to replug, but try different cables even if it was working before and you didnt changed that.

bios-sata-mode setting needs to be checked, you didn't say you already checked it was AHCI before and after, changing that may run into controller not finding disks MBR.

latest firmware?

which port on which controller is the SSD plugged in? tried Sata_0 on primary intel-controller, if thats default, tried a different one?

which driver do you use in windows? try if the problem persists with MSAHCI.

tried completely unplugging it for a minute? might received a power start-up peak.

did the problem persist if you unplug all other drives except the SSD? i know it shows the SSD disappearing, but please try that still.

did you used a regcleaner or changed disk-setup during the last runtime before problem appeared?

you might had the MBR not on the SSD before but on one of your HDDs, so formating or changing that disks may be the intentional cause.

you sure, no HDD contained a windows-before you installed the SSD and newly installed windows on it, because that might just updated the MBR of the HDD to boot from the SSD, that way you tell BIOS to boot (load MBR) from the HDD what then boots (starts OS) from SSD. you might not noticed that ever!!!

but really if the disk sporadically dissappear at all either the disk is mechanically defect or the cable or the sata-bus-controller or the sata-port

cross-checking those with another drive would shoot it out.

haha, well i personally would say it's the fault of the not-so-well-brand-named PSU in conjuction with the not-so-well-brand-named memory xD nevermind

Last edited by Incriminated; 05-22-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 PM

POST ID # = 655202

"Incriminated" has some beef with corsair PSU?
I had my corsair 650W checked at load it is rock solid at 12V, when while increasing load, I do not see much droop

Old 05-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Incriminated's PC Specs

POST ID # = 655209
Incriminated Reputation: 10

*sshhhh* mods didnt see that yet

No, not anymore eversince i use chieftec

No really, it was just a joke, never had a corsair PSU, but seasonic is a valuable manufacturer. Just squint-eyed another corsair product. But could not be of harm to cross-check with another PSU.... just to be 100% sure. or just test it on another PC.

Last edited by Incriminated; 05-23-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 PM

POST ID # = 655210

ha ha Got it. Peace.

Tags
bios, missing, ssd