The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 05:44 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team

POST ID # = 767777
Inheritance Reputation: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilton View Post
I am not convinced that that fully explains the problem. As you may know, the even the K65 has issues and it has at least 35 fewer keys and tri-color leds than the K95. This means the difference in power requirements between those keyboards is not trivial, yet they both have some customers reporting similar problems. I have the K95 plus I have 12 other USB devices plugged in and I have never had any issues at all.
Not all USB ports are made to standard, some deliver less power then they should because the mobo manufacture wants to cut cost.
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support

Old 03-21-2015, 11:25 PM
remilton's PC Specs

POST ID # = 767831
remilton Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheren159 View Post
Not all USB ports are made to standard, some deliver less power then they should because the mobo manufacture wants to cut cost.
I have done some testing on the USB ports my K95 is plugged into.

plug with KB symbol: 4.95 volts at .38 amps
Plug with arrow symbols: 4.97 volts at .36 amps

Those numbers are well within USB 2.0 specs. My KB should be running fine with those test numbers and it does.

If plugging into a powered USB hub fixes peoples freezing issues then I suggest problems with on-board USB ports. For example the ports not supplying adequate power or having other devices drawing too much current from the same USB power circuit as the KB is connected.

Last edited by remilton; 03-22-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:58 PM
DAVe3283's PC Specs

POST ID # = 767899
DAVe3283 Reputation: 10

Quote:

plug with KB symbol: 5.95 volts at .38 amps
Plug with arrow symbols: 5.97 volts at .36 amps

Those numbers are well within USB 2.0 specs. My KB should be running fine with those test numbers and it does.

If plugging into a powered USB hub fixes peoples freezing issues then I suggest problems with on-board USB ports. For example the ports not supplying adequate power or having other devices drawing too much current from the same USB power circuit as the KB is connected.
Surely you mean 4.95 volts, not 5.95 volts? Because 6 volts is not at all in the USB spec. Incidentally, my motherboard also has the SuperCharger feature, yet I had the freezing problem.

I am not convinced it is a power issue. I think it has something to do with thread affinity or race conditions encountered with the combination of the Corsair software, Corsair driver, and Intel 77-series (& other?) chipset drivers.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:02 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team

POST ID # = 767901
Inheritance Reputation: 70

Quote:

plug with KB symbol: 5.95 volts at .38 amps
Plug with arrow symbols: 5.97 volts at .36 amps

.36 amps is below standard which is .5 amps so those numbers are well out of 2.0 specs.
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support

Old 03-22-2015, 07:05 PM
remilton's PC Specs

POST ID # = 767923

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheren159 View Post
.36 amps is below standard which is .5 amps so those numbers are well out of 2.0 specs.
Your have your logic reversed. .5 amps is what USB 2.0 ports are guaranteed to supply. .36 amps is what the K95 keyboad is drawing and that is .14 amps BELOW the limit. Besides USB ports on many computer can actually supply up to 1.5 amps and of course ther are those computers and motherboard with crappy USB port that barely meet spec if at all.

To the previous poster: yes that was a typo 4.95v, no 5.95v

Last edited by remilton; 03-22-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:20 PM
remilton's PC Specs

POST ID # = 767925

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
Surely you mean 4.95 volts, not 5.95 volts? Because 6 volts is not at all in the USB spec. Incidentally, my motherboard also has the SuperCharger feature, yet I had the freezing problem.

I am not convinced it is a power issue. I think it has something to do with thread affinity or race conditions encountered with the combination of the Corsair software, Corsair driver, and Intel 77-series (& other?) chipset drivers.
Obviously a typo on the voltage.

I don't know what causing the freezing problem. It may well a bus problem, but then why does a powered hub fix it?

I guess I am lucky as I have the intel Z87 chipset and my keyboard works perfectly.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 PM
georgecee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 769600
georgecee Reputation: 10

I appreciate everyones input in this matter. Stevvie and Remilton both have very good points they made.

So far, So good. I'm plugged into the powered USB hub and in 3 weeks I have only had 1 keyboard freeze.

Maybe when I upgrade to a new ASUS gaming motherboard with more stable USB power, I will not need to use the hub anymore. I guess we'll see what happens.

Have a great evening.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:38 PM
crazybear's PC Specs

POST ID # = 769720
crazybear Reputation: 10

FWIW, my K95 RGB works fine using two USB 2 MB slots, but is NOT working at all in BIOS. I use mostly Linux and have been spending all my time working with the great new Linux driver on this Forum. Now, that it is working in Linux, I started to look at the other threads [as most of you use Windoz], and was sad to sickened to see the problems. I was RMAing a K95 [non-RGB] and suddenly was offered a K95 RGB as I had waited a loooong time [needing a NA keyboard, but living in Europe]...and had though I'd been given a present....but now wonder if I was thrown a known lemon. I can only hope a hardware fix will someday allow me to get into BIOS or use the USB 3 slot on my motherboard [GA-X58A-UD7 v.1]. Corsair, your reputation is on the line. I have Corsair memory and have never had problems with it. I've had Corsair keyboards before and only had minor problems with LEDs going out....but not being able to get into BIOS and having to have a second older keyboard on the desk to accomplish that........

The colors are very nice...but they'd be nicer if the keyboard would function as a keyboard first. I hope this all gets fixed.

I'm asking if others have been able to get the K95 RGB to work at boot; and if any with a few years old GA MB have had the same problems as I - NOT working at boot up and the USB3 ports don't work for this board. Thanks.

Last edited by crazybear; 03-31-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:00 AM

POST ID # = 944588
seisan300 Reputation: 10

Is this still a known issue? I am experiencing the freezing since three weeks ago with my K95 RGB Platinum. The thing is driving me insane now as no USB where I plug the keyboard seems to work around. It simply freezes, lights on, and I have to disconnect and connect back few times before it's detected again.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:46 PM
yellowblanka's PC Specs

POST ID # = 945089
yellowblanka Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangy View Post
I had to buy a USB 3.0 PCI-E card for my desktop. It seems that the CUE software and board itself does not like some of the drivers/chipsets out there on the motherboards.

Using a HUB or a Card will most likely remedy this as it uses a different set of drivers than the onboard mobo drivers.

Which in itself is patently ludicrous - I've used plenty of different keyboards, including my previous Microsoft Sidewinder gaming keyboard, and NONE of them have been as problematic as my current Corsair. You know why? Because they likely actually tested against common motherboard chipsets etc. during the design/testing phase - it's called due diligence. I'm not saying Intel USB controllers etc. are perfect - but when they are so common in motherboards, you would think Corsair would tweak their designs/power draw etc. to account for this.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:21 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 945612
Corsair Nick Reputation: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by seisan300 View Post
Is this still a known issue? I am experiencing the freezing since three weeks ago with my K95 RGB Platinum. The thing is driving me insane now as no USB where I plug the keyboard seems to work around. It simply freezes, lights on, and I have to disconnect and connect back few times before it's detected again.
There are a couple thing you can try, first would be make sure all your USB and chipset drivers are updated to the latest from the motherboard manufacturer's website. Next, perform all Windows updates. If you're using Windows 10 and still have issues, try performing the steps in the article below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ry-13-2018-upd

Old 08-16-2018, 10:43 PM

POST ID # = 968991
TZAA Reputation: 10

I have the same problem, bought a refurbished model and the keyboard freezes. I also went and bought a usb powered hub and still they kb has the same problem.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:27 AM
jaakap's PC Specs

POST ID # = 987795
jaakap Reputation: 10

I have same issue with K95 Platinum it freeze after 1-2 hours of use.
I did everything to fix this issue even I did upgrade windows to pro version and still :)
anyway I fix it by uninstall iCube, it shows iCube keep installing more HID.
I lost profile but its fine to me.
for 2 days now it works fine. I will keep updating if i got the issue.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:57 PM

POST ID # = 991384
AlienGamer88 Reputation: 10

man I just bought a k95 and i have all the same issues as above. i feel like i was ripped off. this is

Old 08-25-2019, 04:20 PM

POST ID # = 1015689
seisan300 Reputation: 10

Well, I completely change my system a few months ago and still I'm getting the same freezing issue. Got a new motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix Z390), new processor (i7 8700k), new PSU (Corsair RM750i), new everything and got the freezing after two weeks of using k95 platinum in my new system.

It's pity. I even just bought a Dual-Port USB 3.1 Card - 10Gbps per port - 2x USB-A - PCIe from StarTech (updated drivers, chipset, bios, everything) and got the freezing just couple minutes ago when I was gaming.

At this point I really regret having bought this keyboard a year go. In other system there's a Strage RGB MK.2 keyboard that has never had this issue, perhaps that's the actual high end keboard that should be adverted instead of this total trash k95 that only allows you to sink your money.

Tags
k95 issue, k95 rgb problems