Corsair Community

Backing Up & Restoring Operating System! - Solid State Drive (SSD) to SSD

BrianTaylor

Hi

Currently, I have Acronis TIH 2011, Update 3, Build 6942, and I have ordered a new PC, with Windows 7(64 bit), two Solid State Drives (SSD's - both 120 GB Corsair Force 3) and a 1TB conventional hard drive!

The first SSD will be dedicated to my Operating System (OS), and I plan to use the second SSD, primarily, for backing up my operating system, using Acronis TIH! The conventional hard drive will be used for my personal data!

I am experienced at using Acronis TIH, with conventional hard drives, but have no idea regarding any special requirements for backing up, or restoring from one SSD, to another SSD.

I am aware that Partition, Sector & Cluster alignment is an important issue, but I have no idea how to verify, and if necessary, how to correct alignment! This gives rise to a number of questions; such as:

(1) Are there any reliable software packages, which will check and correct Partition, Sector, Cluster alignment? (Preferably Idiot Proof)

(2) Are there any pre-requirements for backing up an OS, from the Boot SSD to the Backup SSD?

(3) Are there any additional risks of using the Normal "Compression" in software, such as Acronis, or Paragon, when backing up an image of the operating system? (Compression is preferred, as this would allow several backups, on the limited available space on the back up drive)!

(4) Are there any pre-requirements for before restoring the OS from the back-up SSD to the Boot SSD? (Such as secure erase)

I would be greatful for any advice, regarding these issues!

Archived