Corsair Community

Controlling SP120 Quiet with H100I

Woodwater

thats not true! you can control SP120 if you use the included 7v fan voltage regulators.

??? any fan you will plug into the cl fan's wire will be controlled by cl. I have 2 stock fans in push and 2 3pin schythe in pull all plugged into cl with the cl fan wires.

it'll work but not work well.

I tried 2 GT AP-15s and CL does control them to an extent but it doesnt work as well as the included SP120s. The software is currently designed to work best with the included fans. Why? I dont know. The GTs will only spin as slow as 1300 rpm and respond extremely slowly to fan speed changes.

You'd think at start up when my H100i spins the fans to 100%, it would be recording the max RPM at 12v, and then adjust its control behavior appropriately. But it does not. Motherboard control works well with nearly any fan connected to it yet CL is so picky.

it'll work but not work well.

I tried 2 GT AP-15s and CL does control them to an extent but it doesnt work as well as the included SP120s. The software is currently designed to work best with the included fans. Why? I dont know. The GTs will only spin as slow as 1300 rpm and respond extremely slowly to fan speed changes.

You'd think at start up when my H100i spins the fans to 100%, it would be recording the max RPM at 12v, and then adjust its control behavior appropriately. But it does not. Motherboard control works well with nearly any fan connected to it yet CL is so picky.

could be only yours cux my cl run perfectly the stock ones with 2 schythe added. It does not matter what fan you add. Since you use the propper connection and the fans are tach 3 pin (which sp120 are) or 4 pin pwm you can handle them in cl.

SP120 are the best fans for air pressure to set with cl

could be only yours cux my cl run perfectly the stock ones with 2 schythe added. It does not matter what fan you add. Since you use the propper connection and the fans are tach 3 pin (which sp120 are) or 4 pin pwm you can handle them in cl.

SP120 are the best fans for air pressure to set with cl

it does matter what fan you use. Your scythes may just happen to work. People with Corsair SP120 Performance Ed have reported the same problem, and Corsair has mentioned in the past that they're working on adding 3rd party fan support. Corsair at the moment only supports their own included fan. If you encounter issues controlling other fans, it is likely they will be unable to help you short of a firmware update.

Op, your mileage may vary depending on the fans you use. You'd think it would work like controlling them from your motherboard but it is not that straight forward.

see: http://www.overclock.net/t/1323904/cl-corsair-announces-new-hydro-series-h100i-and-h80i-flagship-liquid-cpu-coolers/670

and

http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?p=622130

it is hard to say for sure. The only way to definitively tell you is to have someone with the fans pair it with the h100i to see if it works out of the box.

What we know is:

-SP120 Performance via Retail does not work out of the box

-Gentle Typhoons do not work well

Hi everyone,

I have a H100i matched with 4x SP120's performance edition. It does work but not to my taste: after patching the H100i to get rid of the rattling, I had all sorts of problems including inability to control fan speed, more rattling and high pitched noise.

As mentionned, the best fix I had was to use the 7v voltage downsteppers. Using these, the fan speeds can be controlled *to an extent* and the noise is gone. The control is very laggy (takes like a full minute to go from ~30% to 100% speed @ 7V).

Everything else seems to be working fine however.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I have a H100i matched with 4x SP120's performance edition. It does work but not to my taste: after patching the H100i to get rid of the rattling, I had all sorts of problems including inability to control fan speed, more rattling and high pitched noise.

As mentionned, the best fix I had was to use the 7v voltage downsteppers. Using these, the fan speeds can be controlled *to an extent* and the noise is gone. The control is very laggy (takes like a full minute to go from ~30% to 100% speed @ 7V).

Everything else seems to be working fine however.

Good luck!

Hey fchan.

Cool. Thanks, i'll start by running with the stock fans. Maybe I'll experiment with taking some parts from the Sp120s (rubber and ring) and installing them on the stock ones. I don't know. I almost feel like selling the H100I and getting something else after everything I've heard about it. :\

Thanks for the help though guys!

• 7 months later...
Mmmmm...Sooooo.

Yay or Nay? Controlling (speed etc) the Sp120 Quiet with the Link software when plugged in the H100I pump unit.

Sorry, I don't want to seem dense, but I am a bit. :)

I have x2 SP120 Quiet Edition fans plugged into my H100i, working and able to control with CorsairLINK2.

Plug and go, no voltage downsteppers or what ever everyone else is saying that they need.

Only issue is the max speed i can get them going is 1300RPM. Apart from that, switching from performance/default/quiet mode is instant and no dramas.

• 3 weeks later...
I also bought two sp120 queiet fans when I got my h100i today, but sadly they seem not controllable via the corsair software, speed does not spin down. These are three pin fans. nothing else available here in belgium. Any way to get them to work,

I also bought two sp120 queiet fans when I got my h100i today, but sadly they seem not controllable via the corsair software, speed does not spin down. These are three pin fans. nothing else available here in belgium. Any way to get them to work,

using 3 pin fans is best controlled using a mechanical controller or m/b headers...

Archived