The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 02:11 PM
0031nek's PC Specs

POST ID # = 321434
0031nek Reputation: 10

this morning i'll be goin to test out my system at the shop, and hopefully will come out with some result.
After so many days testing, Xp definitely have more frequency with the message popups while with Vista, only once, that was when i woke up from a sleep mode.

Furthermore, more tests concluded that it's the heat from GPU and not the systems what so ever that caused this power problems.

I tested it with full loading the GPU, peaked to 80degree celcius, then restart, then the msg will come out.
Then i shut down my PC,cooled down my GPU as soon as possible (to avoid system and CPU cooling down in which might affect the testing accuracy), i even put my GPU into the fridge for 30sec, then the temperature dropped to less than 55celcius when restarted, without the Power msg.

Crossing my fingers.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 321438
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Let us know how it turns out!

Old 12-28-2007, 07:18 PM
EliteKiller's PC Specs

POST ID # = 324046
EliteKiller Reputation: 10

0031nek, what's the verdict?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:49 PM
sluggo69's PC Specs

POST ID # = 324324
sluggo69 Reputation: 10

I can promise you that your power supply's +12V output is not 1.2 Volts. Your system would not be working at all if that were the case. Either Speedfan doesn't understand what your voltage monitoring chip is saying to it or your voltage monitoring chip is "broken".

If the voltage monitoring chip is broken and the nvidia driver is reading the voltage monitoring chip and taking it's outputs as accurate, then that would explain why the driver thinks the +12V output is too low for the video card to use.

See if there's some way you can force the driver to ignore the voltage reported by the chip. If not, you may need to get a new motherboard. Maybe the mobo vendor has new drivers for it's embedded devices that fixes the problem.

PS: I have the same video card and power supply and have not seen the problem you describe. If your voltages are reported in your BIOS setup screen, see if they're accurate. If you see +12V there reported as +1.2V, then you know it's not related to the OS, in which case it has to be the monitoring chip.

Last edited by sluggo69; 12-30-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:16 AM
0031nek's PC Specs

POST ID # = 324515

Hi all,
I'm very sorry for the late reply because I went to a very long Christmas holiday break, and just got home today.

Ok, i tested the PSU together with my system in the shop where i bought it, paid Aud50 to do it and here's the results of compatibility in which i categorized to OK and NOT OK, in which, only the OK will not be having the sentinel insufficient power problem:

1) Corsair HX620W + Evga 8800gt 512MB (stock cooler) + any version of driver + Windows XP SP2 + GA-P35-DS4P, = NOT OK,

2) HX620W + EVGA 8800GT (arctic acceleror S1 with Turbo Module fans) + any driver version + XP SP2 + GA-P35-DS4P = OK , it is because the S1 able to keep the full load temperature at a very low 48celcius,

3) HX620W +EVGA 8800GT (stock cooler) + any version of driver + XP SP2 + GA-P35-DS3L = NOT OK,

4) Coolermaster Real Power Modular 520W + EVGA 8800GT stock cooler + any driver version + XP SP2 + GA-P35-DS4P = OK

5) HX620W +EVGA 8800GT (stock cooler) + any version of driver + vista ultimate + GA-P35-DS4P= OK,

6) HX620W +Any other type of VGA from any brand, 8series (stock cooler) + any other types of mobo + any version of windows =OK,

Therefore, in my situation, i concluded that there's incompatibility between only the HX620W and the EVGA 8800GT 512MB (stock cooler) and this is because the NOT OK is directly related to the booting temperature of the VGA, while maybe HX620W have issue to provide enough power for the "hot" EVGA 8800GT 512mb, Arctic Acceleror S1 solved the problem by only be able to maintain the temperature at a very low and acceptable temperature of the VGA, for HX620W.

Denotes: 1) there's no other brands of 8800gt 512mb to be tested due to back order situation
2) there's only 2types of P35 motherboard could be tested, due to they're only having GA-P35-DS3L mobo.
3) Riva tuner was used to monitor the VGA temperature while 3DMarks06 was used to load the VGA to maximum, for all game demo running completely.
4) Ambient temperature was maintained at 25celcius all the time, while maximum VGA temp with stock cooler was 84celcius and 52celcius while using S1.
5) the booting temperature for VGA will be the maximum temperature mentioned with or without S1, after the maximum load demos of 3DMarks06.

I hope the above can really help you all to find out more about the compatibility issue between HX620W and expected VGA.

I'd sold my HX620W, with a lost of Aud50, and bought a Coolermaster Real Power M520W.

Will i buy any Corsair's PSU again in the future?
Maybe not, if you all could read more issues in the forums.

Thank you.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Preacherman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 324576
Preacherman Reputation: 10
Default Different Configuration -- Same problem

I do not have the same, or even similar, system setup as 0031nek ... except for the combination of the eVGA 8800GT KO and the HX620W and I am also getting the Nvidia Sentinel message of insufficient power to the GPU.

Prior to putting in the HX620W, I did NOT receive any GPU low power warnings of any kind once so ever.

However, over the last 5 -6 weeks, the stock Antec SP-500 (Smart Power 2) PSU that came in my TX-1050B SOHO tower case would intermittently shut down the computer ... usually turning itself back on about 5 minutes later. After ordering the HX620W from Newegg, and before it's arrival, the psu had started behaving itself and I had no shutdown issues for a straight 2 weeks, even at high loads.

Today, after 3 consecutive shutdowns, I swapped out the Antec 500W for the HX620W. Once thing I noticed right off the bat, and do not like, is that the PCI-E power cable has the hold-down clip off-centered so that the plug does not securely clip and stay in place. While I appreciate the foresight in making the plug both 6 & 8 pin compatible, the vast majority of PCI-E power recepticles are 6-pin and has a hole for a center-aligned retaining clip.

I have all the drive cables (using 1 SATA cable for 2 SATA drives, 1 molex cable for 2 IDE Optical, 1 molex cable w/4-pin mini adapter for 3.5 floppy) moved over to the extreme left connections (single 12v rail) and the PCI-E cable is connected to the right PCI-E plug (single 12v rail) so there should be no chance that any device is stealing voltage away from the dedicated PCI-E plug.

I turn the system on and the first thing that pops up after/during windows is the Nvidia System Sentinel telling me that video card is not receiving sufficient power.

Keep in mind that both 0031nek and myself did NOT have this problem with our original PSU, but only after swapping out and installing the HX620.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:15 PM
EliteKiller's PC Specs

POST ID # = 324579

0031nek, thanks for the update. There's no doubt that you and your local shop have done some excellent troubleshooting. However, once you swapped out the 8800GT stock cooler for an aftermarket unit, the absence of the sentinel message in XP is unrelated to a problem with the HX620 and your EVGA card. Your video card consumes the same amount of power whether you are at 40C or 100C.

In the end you would have been better off keeping the Accelero S1 and the HX620 instead of downgrading to the Coolermaster. Your video card would run a lot cooler, and you'd have a better psu w/ additional headroom.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
0031nek's PC Specs

POST ID # = 324582

to preach,
it is true that the PCI-E connector cant be clipped correctly to the EVGA 8800GT, however i solved this problem by cutting off half of the clip in 1end of the PCI-E connector., this is not a big issue however, but this reflects Corsair's reputation as this small matter should not be overlooked by Corsair in producing PSU as that as well can be used for future coming VGAs.

to elite,
My HX620W had been sold, the main reason selling it is because of no other method to solve the problem. Only the presence of S1 could solve it, however i do not think that this PSU do not have compatibilty issue with my EVGA as well.

For me, it's better to have "a peace of mind" PSU that might didn't receive any good reviews and recommendations rather than having a good recommended PSU that i have to worry everytime i start my PC.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:19 PM
EliteKiller's PC Specs

POST ID # = 324583

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0031nek View Post
to elite,
My HX620W had been sold, the main reason selling it is because of no other method to solve the problem. Only the presence of S1 could solve it, however i do not think that this PSU do not have compatibilty issue with my EVGA as well.

For me, it's better to have "a peace of mind" PSU that might didn't receive any good reviews and recommendations rather than having a good recommended PSU that i have to worry everytime i start my PC.
Since the S1 solved your "sentinel" issue it's only a $25 (USD) investment, and it would lower your 8800GT temps 20-40C. It's a no-brainer IMO.

Quote:
6) HX620W +Any other type of VGA from any brand, 8series (stock cooler) + any other types of mobo + any version of windows =OK,
Since you had the ability to test these various cards why did you stick with the EVGA when all other mfg's work appear to co-exist with the Corsair? In case you weren't aware, most of the 8800GT/GTS vendors (Gigabyte uses a non-reference pcb) are using the reference card and cooler from nvidia. These mfg's simply provide the heatsink/fan decals, packaging, and possibly a modded bios for raising the clock speeds.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Preacherman's PC Specs

POST ID # = 324586
Preacherman Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteKiller View Post
Since you had the ability to test these various cards why did you stick with the EVGA when all other mfg's work appear to co-exist with the Corsair? In case you weren't aware, most of the 8800GT/GTS vendors (Gigabyte uses a non-reference pcb) are using the reference card and cooler from nvidia. These mfg's simply provide the heatsink/fan decals, packaging, and possibly a modded bios for raising the clock speeds.
If you read earlier, he took it to Aud50 for testing, and they tested the PSU with various component combinations that they had. What he actually owns is the eVGA card. Why in the world would he swap the video card? The problem for both him and me is to get the new HX620 to coexist with our current eVGA 8800GT KO video card without getting the nVidia Sentinel warning about insufficient power to the video card.

Please. Keep in mind that with our previous PSU, we did not get this message. Only after putting in the HX620 did this warning appear.

Since this is not an isolated incident (after all, I put mine in today, get the warning, pop online and look at the forum here, and bam ... on the top of the front page is the exact same PSU/video card problem), instead of telling us to check this, check that, perhaps Corsair should do several tests of their own with LGA775 SLI boards running Core2Duos and a single eVGA 8800GT board.

If I can't get some resolution, I can guarantee you that this PSU will go back for a different brand way before I even consider swapping out my video card.

Last edited by Preacherman; 01-02-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Xtreeme's PC Specs

POST ID # = 324598
Xtreeme Reputation: 10

I dont rember the specific board and psu. BUT this has happened before and I think it was Seasonic PSU's and Asus mobos. So this just shows a psu CAN be incompat with certain hardware.Video card is new to me beyond not enough power however these cards are getting more advanced like mobo's and therefore could have such incompatablities arise.

If it were my Id also give johnnygurru a shout since he raved about these psu's! Give him something to test, cause if its got a fault he missed-Im sure hed like to know......thats also his reputation on the line if he reviewed it.

If I were to guess, Id say this is what is the cause. The gpu enters a lower power mode when not in 3d. So Im thinking at boot it takes full juice to start up-but for some reason either the card (or mainboard) isnt asking for the increse.......only thing I can think of.

Last edited by Xtreeme; 01-02-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 AM
EliteKiller's PC Specs

POST ID # = 324605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherman View Post
If you read earlier, he took it to Aud50 for testing, and they tested the PSU with various component combinations that they had.
Maybe you missed the part where I said "There's no doubt that you and your local shop have done some excellent troubleshooting."

Quote:
What he actually owns is the eVGA card. Why in the world would he swap the video card?
Why not, especially if all other mfg's 8800GT co-exist with the HX620 just fine. As explained above, other than the bios EVGA and most of the other mfg's uses a reference design. If he can sell his HX620 for a $50 loss and purchase a lesser psu, then surely he can either purchase a $25 Accelero S1 or get a different 8800GT (even though he claims they cannot be acquired).

Quote:
The problem for both him and me is to get the new HX620 to coexist with our current eVGA 8800GT KO video card without getting the nVidia Sentinel warning about insufficient power to the video card.
Maybe you should also try the Accelero S1.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186016

Quote:
Please. Keep in mind that with our previous PSU, we did not get this message. Only after putting in the HX620 did this warning appear.
Coincidence? I visit several major forums and you two guys are the first ones that have reported the sentinel error w/ an HX seies psu and a G92 gpu. If you can find others please link them in this thread.

Quote:
Since this is not an isolated incident (after all, I put mine in today, get the warning, pop online and look at the forum here, and bam ... on the top of the front page is the exact same PSU/video card problem), instead of telling us to check this, check that, perhaps Corsair should do several tests of their own with LGA775 SLI boards running Core2Duos and a single eVGA 8800GT board.
It is isolated, and no matter how much testing is done issues can and do arise. If you and the others feel that the Seasonic built HX620 is truly at fault, then I would suggest a Channel Well built VX550 or TX750.

Quote:
If I can't get some resolution, I can guarantee you that this PSU will go back for a different brand way before I even consider swapping out my video card.
Again, try the Accelero S1 and hope for the best. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreeme View Post
I dont rember the specific board and psu. BUT this has happened before and I think it was Seasonic PSU's and Asus mobos. So this just shows a psu CAN be incompat with certain hardware.
The issue that you're referring to was with the Seasonic built Antec NeoHE and certain Asus motherboards. However Antec/Seasonic were not the only ones affected, instead it was pretty much any high efficiency psu's not booting a low power system. Read more....

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...971b5084a6ba92

Old 01-05-2008, 06:59 PM
guest456's PC Specs

POST ID # = 325131
guest456 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteKiller View Post
Coincidence? I visit several major forums and you two guys are the first ones that have reported the sentinel error w/ an HX seies psu and a G92 gpu. If you can find others please link them in this thread.
I have the same problem. I have also done a considerable amount of troubleshooting.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=886650

What's the best option to solve this problem?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 PM
97cruiser's PC Specs

POST ID # = 325135
97cruiser Reputation: 10

same problem here. 8800 gts 512 mb .evga ,nvidia or corsair needs to step up and figure this out. I paid good money and am not happy at all.Not to mention the time spent troubleshooting. CMON GUYS

Old 01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
guest456's PC Specs

POST ID # = 325138
guest456 Reputation: 10

Unfortunately, it could also be Gigabyte motherboards with the problem..

Last edited by guest456; 01-05-2008 at 09:12 PM.