Corsair Community

Computer cut power during start up?

Quiver

Hi everyone, just over a month ago I built my own PC with 8gb corsair vengeance, 1tb sata3, corsair CX750 PSU, gtx 760 2gb GPU, WiFi, Intel Core i5 4570 CPU, and Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H motherboard. Originally I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on it and it ran perfectly fine. Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and it ran fine during the install and it ran fine for the brief period I used it afterwards too. I then turned my PC off as it was getting late and I wanted to go to bed. I was satisfied that everything was working as I expected (because it was). This morning I received a new illuminated keyboard and gaming mouse in the post as, until now, I'd been using a bog standard USB keyboard/mouse. I fitted the new keyboard and mouse to the computer and then started the computer. It booted almost as far as the splash screen then the power cut out. No, we didn't have a power cut, but the power did cut out. It then proceeded to immediately restart after it shut itself off. Booted in fine this time. I checked Core Temp and the CPU temperature is perfectly normal. The Asus GPU tweak also show the GPU temperature as being perfectly normal. I checked device manager and no exclamation marks show next to any devices. I checked Event Log and, as you probably expect, there is a "Kernel Power" error number 41 critical log showing there. I honestly cannot expect the PSU is at fault. It's only a little over a month old and I've been using it for hours of intense gaming, without any issues at all. It's also got 750w so it can't be running out of watts, surely. As I said, this has only happened once and it did boot in perfectly fine after it shut itself down and started itself up again. But as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't even have done it that once. Any ideas?

This could be PSU,Memory, MB or a host of other issues.

I would remove all your memory and try using one stick at a time to see if you can get a successful POST. If so you found the issue and can RMA the memory.

If not then the next step would be to test the PSU all by itself using the Brief PSU functionality test found here.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991

Depending on the results we can go further. Also can you see what your voltages are reading in your BIOS for the 12v,5v,and 3.3v rails?

My PC has booted perfectly fine since it happened. So I really doubt it's the RAM.

It happened this morning, then it rebooted and it's been fine since (so far anyway).

What's more, I played 1 hour 23 mins of Assassin's Creed 4 without any problems.

Windows also detects both RAM chips and, from what I can tell, RAM's working fine.

With regards to the voltages in BIOS I'll give those to you tomorrow. Thanks.

What should they be...what's a good voltage, just so I know what to expect?

Voltages on the three (3) PSU rails are fine.

If it was a one-off event, I'd chalk it up to something going on with the system as it was detecting and installing the new hardware and I wouldn't be concerned about it.

If it happens again, check back in and let us know.

Well it happened again this morning.

Same as described in my first post, exactly the same.

I've run a memtest too and that returned "no errors".

Again this appears to be pointing towards power supply.

But is there anything else I can test? Need to be certain!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at your original post again, I don't see anything there that say your PSU is at fault. I mean at least nothing that stands out. This could be so many things other than the PSU. A bad board, A bad Windows instal, Drivers, ect and yes of course the PSU. But i would put it way down o the list. Especially since you said your problems didn't start until you installed 8.1, which has been causing all sorts of trouble for lots of people. i would revert back to Win7 and see how your system reacts before tearing it apart to replace a PSU.

Do you have any error stop codes in your event viewer? Besides the Kernal Power error? That is just a generic error code meaning the machine was shut down incorrectly . Could be hardware and could be software related.

It happened this morning, then it rebooted and it's been fine since (so far anyway).

What's more, I played 1 hour 23 mins of Assassin's Creed 4 without any problems.

Windows also detects both RAM chips and, from what I can tell, RAM's working fine.

With regards to the voltages in BIOS I'll give those to you tomorrow. Thanks.

What should they be...what's a good voltage, just so I know what to expect?

Again, this sounds more like an issue with the board or your windows install.

Archived