Corsair Community

Newly installed H80i V2 What to Expect

Paradox187

I just got a H80i V2 installed and I am not sure what to expect from it as the fan seems to have a mind of its own.

One moment its quite quiet the next it is going so fast I think it might come apart and it is changing up and down like this several times in a minute, is this normal?

If not how can I set it to a speed that will stop this fluctuation?

I also note that this Link software seems to list my new GPU and a couple of case fans that I have, does it control these also?

Insight would be appreciated.

1. I just got a H80i V2 installed and I am not sure what to expect from it as the fan seems to have a mind of its own.
  2. One moment its quite quiet the next it is going so fast I think it might come apart and it is changing up and down like this several times in a minute, is this normal?
  3. If not how can I set it to a speed that will stop this fluctuation?
  4. I also note that this Link software seems to list my new GPU and a couple of case fans that I have, does it control these also?
  5. Insight would be appreciated.

1. Have to set the CPU_FAN header to PWM mode in the BIOS so the H80iV2 get's the constant +12 volts it needs?
  2. It should not happen, but if you are also running ASUS AI Suite such effects are likely.
  3. Left/Click in the fan
  4. No
  5. Posting the CL 4.8.2.1 [Home] tab screen shot may enable insight to be provided.
  6. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853900 for how to attach a file/screen image to a post.
  7. When asking multiple questions I feel using http://forum.corsair.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#list is sensible

1. attachment.php?attachmentid=30848&d=1503927486
  2. attachment.php?attachmentid=30847&d=1503927473
  3. Not sure what the temperature is in here, the room is quite comfortable.
  4. If the case temperature is not listed in that software I have no idea

1. The CPU_FAN header looks to be setup correctly
  2. I would setup a Mode: Custom curve
  3. Can you get a thermometer and check? Unless we know it's almost impossible to sensibly help.
  4. All the reported temperatures seem rather high, can you post a diagram showing how the case fans are setup?
  5. I am wondering if the airflow through the case is suboptimal.
  6. Is the AX1500i USB cable connected? If not connect it so we can see it's temperature.

1. How do I set up a Mode: Custom curve?
  2. Room temp is approx 18c
  3. I did not see any USB cable from the PSU nor do I have one or know where to plug it in on either end.

Both coolers have been mounted on the custom tray that was built for the water loop.

1663719618_20170829_1912071.thumb.jpg.973b4fcd6dba2c9dc757ce5536281e75.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=30845&d=1503925829
  1. Both coolers have been mounted on the custom tray that was built for the water loop.
  2. How do I set up a Mode: Custom curve?
  3. Room temp is approx 18c
  4. I did not see any USB cable from the PSU nor do I have one or know where to plug it in on either end.

1. Who built the system and how long have you owned it?
  2. This makes me suspect it was not you.
  3. Given the room is 18°C I feel the case temperatures are at least 15°C higher than they should be, suspect the airflow through the case is inadequate and needs to be improved.
  4. A mini-USB to USB header cable should have come with the AX1500i PSU and should be installed. What is the AX1500i temperature and how much power is the system using?
  5. Using 4 x CMD8GX4M2A2666C15 is never recommenced, I feel asking for issues and a 32GB kit should have been used. Only two DIMM temperatures are reported so I expect the 4 kits are different revisions which is even worse.

1. Computer Lounge local retailers built it in April 2016, PBTech even more local retailer, did the refit as CL is not within the same city as me
  2. I went through all the unused PSU cables and the unused CableMod cables and neither of them included a USB cable.
  3. I don't know how to find out how much power is being used and the thermometer I have will not measure the PSU, I will buy one tomorrow to handle that.
  4. I need to update this CMD8GX4M2A2666C15. On the invoice where I took these specs from they got it wrong initially, there is actually 8 ram sticks in this machine so 4Gb each I would say to = 32GB. I am not sure if that is better or worse though.
  5. I think I might have to rebuild this machine in a new case, while the case was great for the water loop system installed originally its not working so well for the refit by the sounds of it.
  6. Is it safe to use at these temps, what can I do to quickly lower them if necessary till I can do the rebuild?

1. I suspect you are in NZ and feel you should set your location/time zone.
  2. Your specs are correct, each CMD8GX4M2A2666C15 consists of 2 x 4GB DIMMs so you have 8 DIMMs in total.
  3. Assuming this is what was originally installed by Computer Lounge then they messed up, ask for a 32GB kit such as http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/dominator-platinum-series-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-2666mhz-c15-memory-kit-cmd32gx4m4a2666c15.
  4. The DIMMs should clock at 1333 MHz rather than 1066 MHz and I suspect the lower speed if down to 4 x 8GB kits being used when 1 x 32 GB kit should be used.
  5. Once you get the AX1500i USB cable it will be easier to help you. It not being installed means that again Computer Lounge messed up, ask them for it.
  6. I would get a new case ASAP, then again I would never be in your position in the first place.

1. I entered my location, I am used to leaving all that info blank on most sites so sorry for the oversight
  2. OK good to know
  3. I have emailed CL to please explain
  4. Ditto per above
  5. And also this
  6. I will do so as soon as possible but finances do not allow immediate purchase
  7. Please can you tell me if this computer is safe to use at the current temperatures until I can remedy this?

I do not know.

I appreciate the honesty.

From what I have read (hours of googling) the temperature range seems "ok" for the CPU and GPU but I would like to see if I can decrease them with a better fan profile.

Can you help me create a new curve so the fans run faster but consistent under load please?

1) Do you have the motherboard turned 90 degrees so the PCI-E slots are facing up?

2) Is the H80i v2 then "top mounted" in terms of case orientation?

3) Are the fans set to intake or exhaust?

I can't say I have much experience with your case and it is an unusual design. I think an H80i v2 can handle an 5960X to moderately high wattage levels, but I wonder if the 1080 Ti is adding to the base coolant temperature. The combination of both might be too much. Even with the 90 deg rotation, the Ti still radiates heat in all directions and if the radiator is close enough, it will take on some of that heat. Possible you might be able get a general feel by touch of the different sides.

You can probably get by, but that would also depend on your uses. Mixed CPU/GPU renders might be difficult. Very heavy GPU activity may affect the CPU temps. At present, a 40C coolant baseline still gives you some headroom, but that will also depend on overclock (if any) and usage.

1) Do you have the motherboard turned 90 degrees so the PCI-E slots are facing up?

2) Is the H80i v2 then "top mounted" in terms of case orientation?

3) Are the fans set to intake or exhaust?

I can't say I have much experience with your case and it is an unusual design. I think an H80i v2 can handle an 5960X to moderately high wattage levels, but I wonder if the 1080 Ti is adding to the base coolant temperature. The combination of both might be too much. Even with the 90 deg rotation, the Ti still radiates heat in all directions and if the radiator is close enough, it will take on some of that heat. Possible you might be able get a general feel by touch of the different sides.

You can probably get by, but that would also depend on your uses. Mixed CPU/GPU renders might be difficult. Very heavy GPU activity may affect the CPU temps. At present, a 40C coolant baseline still gives you some headroom, but that will also depend on overclock (if any) and usage.

1. Yes
  2. No, both of the coolers are mounted at the bottom. There is a picture a few posts back.
  3. No idea
  4. Its not overclocked at all and I would not consider the 1080 to be "close" to the CPU but the two coolers are side by side
  5. So far I haven't seen the 1080 go over 65 and the CPU over 40
  6. Usage is mainly gaming

1. Yes
  2. No, both of the coolers are mounted at the bottom. There is a picture a few posts back.
  3. No idea
  4. Its not overclocked at all and I would not consider the 1080 to be "close" to the CPU but the two coolers are side by side
  5. So far I haven't seen the 1080 go over 65 and the CPU over 40
  6. Usage is mainly gaming

OK, I see it now and that answers several questions. The case layout is unusual, but it seem like the build plan the case design are partially at odds. The idea behind the 90 deg rotation is heat will naturally rise (really cold air displacement) in the main chambers. However, the "top" fan is bring air into the case rather than exhausting it. The H80i's at the bottom are dumping hot air into the PSU chamber (and the PSU itself) and I don't know if that air has anywhere to go. That may be the warm spot in the case and likely the source. It looks like the PSU is being used to try and move the waste heat. That surely would have some effect on the PSU. Obviously since the GPU is a hybrid model, the radiant heat is not an issue and the radiator is not in the typical slot above it anyway. There will still be some radiant heat from the center of the backplate area, but not enough to have much effect on the case temps. Given the hardware and case, I don't see another clear way to set this up, although I suspect you need to get your hands on one to see every angle. Still no sure what is under the base/PSU tray. Regardless, it seems likely the higher than average coolant temperature is a byproduct of the layout and not a defect. It appears most of the case hovers around the 40C ambient mark.

OK, I see it now and that answers several questions. The case layout is unusual, but it seem like the build plan the case design are partially at odds. The idea behind the 90 deg rotation is heat will naturally rise (really cold air displacement) in the main chambers. However, the "top" fan is bring air into the case rather than exhausting it. The H80i's at the bottom are dumping hot air into the PSU chamber (and the PSU itself) and I don't know if that air has anywhere to go. That may be the warm spot in the case and likely the source. It looks like the PSU is being used to try and move the waste heat. That surely would have some effect on the PSU. Obviously since the GPU is a hybrid model, the radiant heat is not an issue and the radiator is not in the typical slot above it anyway. There will still be some radiant heat from the center of the backplate area, but not enough to have much effect on the case temps. Given the hardware and case, I don't see another clear way to set this up, although I suspect you need to get your hands on one to see every angle. Still no sure what is under the base/PSU tray. Regardless, it seems likely the higher than average coolant temperature is a byproduct of the layout and not a defect. It appears most of the case hovers around the 40C ambient mark.

Would you say that the temps are ok to continue to use till I can get my better half to agree to spend yet more money on this machine? :roll:

Hello

I recently installed H80i v2 on my new desktop. Everything looks fine, but I am a little confused by a couple of reported readings. Please can someone help me

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8158/dUHGod.jpg

See attached image - I am concerned about two readings marked by green boxes. Are these normal?

Are these normal?

It's common for CL4 to report silly temperatures and I suspect it should not be reported at all. I could comment further if you ran my SIV utility and posted the one screen shot showing both the CL4 [Home] tab + Menu->Hardware->Sensor Debug screen. Ideally attach a full size .PNG file and see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853900 for how to attach a file/screen image to a post.

The pump speed is too slow and the fan speed is zero for the same reason. Go into the BIOS and set the CPU_FAN header to PWM mode so the H80iV2 get's the constant +12 volts that it needs (do this first).

Would you say that the temps are ok to continue to use till I can get my better half to agree to spend yet more money on this machine? :roll:

Yes, you are not in danger. The 40c coolant becomes the basis but you are unlikely too see anything more than +30c over that at stock clocks. I think under 1.20v vcore should be comfortable. You may also get a break as the weather cools, but if its Winter now it will get a bit warmer.

Big Red,

So if I'm understanding this right. Can I use my H80i on the new X299 mobo and just connect to the pump and cpu fan post on the new motherboard and not use the USB data cabling for Corsairlink to still work? or do I need to purchase the V2 model? :sunglasse

Big Red,

So if I'm understanding this right. Can I use my H80i on the new X299 mobo and just connect to the pump and cpu fan post on the new motherboard and not use the USB data cabling for Corsairlink to still work? or do I need to purchase the V2 model? :sunglasse

1. I expect the CoolIT:biggrin: H80i will be fine on an X299 system.
  2. Connect the H80i SATA power connection to the PSU
  3. Connect the single monitoring wire to the CPU_FAN header.
  4. CL4 should work and I expect SIV will work.
  5. I don't think you need to get a Asetek:(: H80iV2.
  6. Please let us know how it works out.

Archived