Corsair Community

9900K hitting 100c with H115i

markob53

So i put together a new mobo, cpu & ram kit yesterday, going from an ASUS Maximus VII Hero, 4790k & 32GB of DD3 to an ASUS Maximus XI Hero, 9900k & 32GB DD4, i'm using the NZXT H440 case and the Corsair H115i AIO 280mm cooler (roof mounted exhaust) using MX-4 2019 thermal paste, the pump is connected to the AIO pump header and is reported as running at about 1500rpm, although i believe the BIOS reports half the speed for some reason, Corsair LINK reports 3000rpm. I also have an EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid mounted to the back exhaust and 3 Noctua fans in the front

I'd seen plenty of posts prior to installing everything about high 9900k temps and unfortunately i've also fallen victim.

I've updated to the latest BIOS version, and all my settings are default apart from my desired fans curves (they're manually set to always run at 83% then at 75c they hit 100% which the latter is forced by the BIOS) i've enabled XMP profile II in order to get my RAM to 3200mhz and i've turned off MCE, i've even manually set the core voltage to 1.25 as it was getting well over 1.3v on stock.

Here are my temps running Aida64 for 10 minutes

https://i.imgur.com/Nn4U4lg.png

Anything here look obviously wrong? Do i need to either re-seat or buy a new cooler? I know the H440 is known for being poor in regards to airflow too but i doubt it's solely to blame. I'm not at home now but IIRC the tubing did feel warm during tests, which implies proper contact? I did hear water swishing around when i first turned the PC on but after that there's no obvious noise coming from it, although my case fans are louder than average.

Also the reason for a change in parts is down to the fact i bent pins on my last mobo, because i was re-seating the cooler to get better 4790k temps (which was also hitting 100c in Prime95) and i think in that process i tightened it way too hard (i was literally trying to turn the screws as much as humanly possible) so this time i just tightened them using my fingers then turned them a little more with screwdriver until they tightened naturally.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by markob53

What's the temperature of the H115?

This isn't good ... even though the 9900K runs hot, it shouldn't be running that hot. Typically that indicates either poor contact or a blockage of some kind. The coolant temperature should give us an indication of where to look. Also, if one tube was noticeably warmer than the other ...

You are reaching those critical temps immediately after initiating the load. The usually means contact issue or excessive voltage. AIDA seems to show your voltage in check and you should not hit 90C at ~1.25v. Any kind of cooler issue would take several minutes to reveal itself and the CPU temp would slowly escalate to that level, not start there. This suggests the most likely problem is physical contact between the CPU and H115i block. That can be a tricky business to trouble shoot, but take it off and see if the TIM spread evenly or is clumpy in one or two places. The backplate needs to be orientated a certain way, make sure you have the right standoffs, etc. Unfortunately, no obvious error most people make so it takes some fiddling.

For comparison, here is another user at similar 9900K settings on the H115i Pro. The temperatures we are discussing are the instant load temps, so cooler size and efficiency is not part of that measurement. I think he has a pretty good CPU sample, but that is more in line of what to expect.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=191728

Thank you both for the replies, i'm still having the problem, despite just reseating the cooler and applying fresh paste, the paste appeared to be fine to me (maybe a small bit in the top corner wasn't quite covered)

I ran the test for another 10 minutes, i noted that one tube was very warm and the other not so warm, also LINK reported the H115i reaching 55c and the pump running at over 3000rpm. Also, if i turn the computer on without the SATA power cable plugged into the pump, idle temps slowly start to rise, but settle down when i plug it back in.

Here is a picture of the bracket.

https://i.imgur.com/f2N0Ow3.jpg

Something i was curious about is that when you put the stand offs on the motherboard they aren't tight at all, but i'm assuming this is normal based on a quick google search because the pump tightens everything up.

Edited by markob53

I ran the test for another 10 minutes, i noted that one tube was very warm and the other not so warm, also LINK reported the H115i reaching 55c and the pump running at over 3000rpm. Also, if i turn the computer on without the SATA power cable plugged into the pump, idle temps slowly start to rise, but settle down when i plug it back in.

Well, that certainly is a problem. 55C is way out of bounds for coolant temperature. The fans should be screaming at you. In the original AIDA graph it had your baseline at 38 so this seemed unlikely, but there is problem. That is costing you 20C right there and the different perceived temps of the hoses suggests a blockage. You can try tapping the hoses or tilting the case to dislodge whatever is there, but ultimately (and soon) you need to replace the cooler. Contact Corsair through the Support Ticket System to RMA or go shopping for a new one (or both).

Yes, disconnecting the SATA cable to cooler cuts its power to zero and the pump will not turn on. That will most definitely cause a problem. Don't do that.

Well, that certainly is a problem. 55C is way out of bounds for coolant temperature. The fans should be screaming at you. In the original AIDA graph it had your baseline at 38 so this seemed unlikely, but there is problem. That is costing you 20C right there and the different perceived temps of the hoses suggests a blockage. You can try tapping the hoses or tilting the case to dislodge whatever is there, but ultimately (and soon) you need to replace the cooler. Contact Corsair through the Support Ticket System to RMA or go shopping for a new one (or both).

Yes, disconnecting the SATA cable to cooler cuts its power to zero and the pump will not turn on. That will most definitely cause a problem. Don't do that.

Interesting, i actually assumed one hose being cooler is normal, because the fans cool down the hot water coming from one hose in the radiator which gets distributed to the other hose and back into the pump, but i was only guessing. So both hoses should be pretty much the same temp? and the coolant should be what temp?

Also just to let you know my 2 fans aren't plugged into the H115i, but into the motherboard, but this wouldn't cause a problem would it? They're still hitting full speed during the benchmark.

One question about the RMA, you said i could do both (RMA & buy a new one) does this mean i could buy a new one and get a refund or re-enbursement for the one i buy, meaning i can replace it quickly without going through the RMA process without a computer?

Edited by markob53

Just one more note, i just ran it again for 10 mins and the coolant temp only went to 46.6c, i suspect this was because i had it in performance mode the entire time, the beginning of the last test was in quiet mode.

Is this still high?

Edit: I guess the fact the default LED warning is 45c answers that question, even during that test one hose wasn't warm at all, and tapping it quite a few times did nothing.

Edited by markob53

Typical coolant temps in a CPU only system run from +3-4C above room temperature (or case temp is lowest possible) to what should be about +8C on full load. That should keep you under 35C most of the time. A 10C discrepancy is very large. The only other thing that could account for this is massive internal case heat from the GPU, but the different hose temps rule that out as well. Most you can drop in one pass on an AIO is 2C. That's right at the edge of human touch perception. No, running the fans from the motherboard would not cause this nor would running them at the absolutely lowest level. 45C+ is way out of bounds for CPU only load, especially AIDA. While my 8700K puts out less wattage even at 5.0, my coolant delta for AIDA blend at 10min would be +4C. You are way outside that margin.

The standard RMA action is replacement of like kind. You would get a brand new sealed H115i. However, the issue you are reporting is a little too common and the replacement warranty won't tack on another 5 years. You will be responsible for shipping charges to Corsair and then will pay the return on the new unit. Travel time varies. This creates a dilemma for some users. If you can't afford to go down on your PC for two weeks and do not have a back up cooling solution, the shipping back and forth can pose a problem. Second, how do you value the brand new unit of a cooler than has been replaced in the current market. Does it offer everything you want? If you had your eye on a different size or different model, this is the obvious time to do it. You could still RMA the defective unit anyway and keep the sealed replacement as a back up or find another user for it.

I don't think the GPU is responsible because that is also water cooled so most of the heat would be contained within the tubing/radiator, rather than being kicked out into the case?

I've decided to order a new H115i from Amazon, resisted the temptation to go for the Pro or Platinum because of the price difference and i'd also need to buy an extra fan so the one on my GPU rad matches! (currently using SP120/SP140's) Also there is very little room between the bottom of the radiator and the headers on my mobo so i need to stick with something i know will fit and the newer radiators appear to be slightly deeper.

Many thanks for your help!

Edited by markob53

That wasn’t exactly the solution I was proposing and I was suggesting a move away from that model. The Platinum is a full RGB model with special RGB fans. It definitely costs more. However, the Pro should cost less with standard non-RGB ML fans which you can completely ignore, put the SP140 (LEDs?) back on and run those same 3 pin fans from the motherboard as you’ve been doing. The radiator is the same thickness. The only change is the pump head style and a much better reliability record.

That wasn’t exactly the solution I was proposing and I was suggesting a move away from that model. The Platinum is a full RGB model with special RGB fans. It definitely costs more. However, the Pro should cost less with standard non-RGB ML fans which you can completely ignore, put the SP140 (LEDs?) back on and run those same 3 pin fans from the motherboard as you’ve been doing. The radiator is the same thickness. The only change is the pump head style and a much better reliability record.

The H115i PRO is showing as 29mm on the Corsair site, the regular H115i is 26mm and the CPU power cable at the top of the mobo is already touching the bottom of the fans on my H115i, i don't think i have 3mm to spare. Even the Platinum is bigger according to the website.

I know i can just stick with the fans i have but if i get better fans with the new cooler then it makes sense to not waste them, meaning another fan needing to be purchased if i want the system to match.

But the size of the radiator is still the main concern. If the measurements on the website are wrong and they are 100% the same thickness with no doubts then id probably be happy to cancel my order and get the Pro, if it means better reliability.

Edited by markob53

I think the measured specification may be slightly different between the two pages with the “H115i” page showing inner radiator thickness versus the outer casing measurement on the Pro/Platinum. Regardless your choice. I just wanted to make sure you understood I wasn’t telling you to buy the same again.

I think the measured specification may be slightly different between the two pages with the “H115i” page showing inner radiator thickness versus the outer casing measurement on the Pro/Platinum. Regardless your choice. I just wanted to make sure you understood I wasn’t telling you to buy the same again.

It's fine, i realise you weren't telling me to specifically get that one.

I can't see any measurement of the old H115i that goes above 27mm, it'd be weird for them to report the inner measurements and a little annoying for people in my position. I might do some measuring tonight to see the true depth of the radiator and if i think i can squeeze the Pro in, i'll get that and return the other one.