Corsair Community

H115i Platinum - copper plate damaged?

wr2champ

Hey guys,

I just bought a H115i Platinum from an outlet store. The product is used, but was tested by the store before selling it again.

Yet I received it in not so nice conditions. Shall I send it back or will there be no issue? The copper plate looks strange. There were no thermal paste on it - guess the first buyer removed it.

51BB445E-9873-44F9-AB11-EAD0D1828DFA.thumb.jpg.67a6a5b2f5125231a38c5ac2381d12e0.jpg

48FFDC5E-1297-4936-9EDD-0C0DFC33F3DF.thumb.jpg.d8596986bbb837ef173e61e8f7da9116.jpg

The coldplate looks like mostly normal wear after being on a CPU. Clean it super-well with 90%+ rubbing alcohol.

The damaged fins won't hurt anything. No liquid flows through the fins themselves. While it'll have a theoretical impact on cooling capacity, it's not going to be large enough to be measurable in the least.

So ... from what I can see, it looks fine. But if you are uncomfortable with it, definitely return it. However, this is the kind of wear and tear that you'll typically see on a used product. I'd also be curious as to why it was being resold used - there have been a number of the Platinum coolers that have died because of a failed firmware update. I have to wonder if this is why it's being resold (the do ... technically ... still work to cool the CPU but you have no control over it). Also, keep in mind that the Corsair warranty only applies to the original owner.