Corsair Community

Corsair H115i RGB Platinum issue with ASUS board

jon96789

I am using a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum cooler with a AMD 3900X CPU and an ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero board.

Whenever i boot the system, the board pops up an error CPU fan not detected and directs me to the BIOS Setup. The Corsair cooler is connected to a Command Pro which is connected to the motherboard via USB connector so there is no CPU fan.

Do I have to bypass the Command Pro and rewire the system to the CPU fan connectors? If i do that, will I lose the RGB control in iCue?

That is the standard "nothing plugged into CPU fan" warning that every motherboard generates to prevent inexperienced users from booting up with no active cooling.

Two solutions:

1) Load in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitor Tab -> scroll down to find CPU fan (0 RPM) and select it. Choose the ignore option. Warning system deactivated.

2) Your H115i Platinum has a false "3 pin" header that is designed to connect to CPU fan (or elsewhere) to provide a pump speed to the BIOS. That is the only information passed on that line. That wire serves no purpose whatsoever when plugged into the Commander Pro. iCUE will always know the pump speed through the cooler's USB connection. Move the 3 pin from the Commander Pro to the CPU Fan. Aside from solving the boot issue, it would also give you an immediate warning if the cooler were to electrically fail on boot.

That is the standard "nothing plugged into CPU fan" warning that every motherboard generates to prevent inexperienced users from booting up with no active cooling.

Two solutions:

1) Load in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitor Tab -> scroll down to find CPU fan (0 RPM) and select it. Choose the ignore option. Warning system deactivated.

2) Your H115i Platinum has a false "3 pin" header that is designed to connect to CPU fan (or elsewhere) to provide a pump speed to the BIOS. That is the only information passed on that line. That wire serves no purpose whatsoever when plugged into the Commander Pro. iCUE will always know the pump speed through the cooler's USB connection. Move the 3 pin from the Commander Pro to the CPU Fan. Aside from solving the boot issue, it would also give you an immediate warning if the cooler were to electrically fail on boot.

Hi c-attack,

With the 3-pin pump cable connected to the CPU Fan header, do we need to set any profiles in ASUS QFan? Can we leave it on default, or should it be set to 100%?

I've read that some BIOS can hang if you run the automatic fan profile if a non-controllable fan is connected to an active header.

On the Platinum coolers that are powered by SATA and not that wire to the MB, you can put it on anything and it doesn't matter. The MB is incapable of altering anything on the pump. There is only a single tachometer wire there and nothing else.

However, my general recommendation for Asus boards is you either set it to "Full Speed" in the EZ BIOS QFan or "disabled" in the Adv. BIOS -> Monitor -> QFan section. Both do the same thing - lock the control to maximum. It makes no difference for control or voltage in this case, but I have had the internal fan tuning program get stuck on the CPU fan header trying to figure out what to do with that 1 wire connection. Usually it just moves on after 15-20 seconds, but you might as well disable it so it knows to skip it.

On the Platinum coolers that are powered by SATA and not that wire to the MB, you can put it on anything and it doesn't matter. The MB is incapable of altering anything on the pump. There is only a single tachometer wire there and nothing else.

However, my general recommendation for Asus boards is you either set it to "Full Speed" in the EZ BIOS QFan or "disabled" in the Adv. BIOS -> Monitor -> QFan section. Both do the same thing - lock the control to maximum. It makes no difference for control or voltage in this case, but I have had the internal fan tuning program get stuck on the CPU fan header trying to figure out what to do with that 1 wire connection. Usually it just moves on after 15-20 seconds, but you might as well disable it so it knows to skip it.

I see, my concern is if I disable the CPU Fan header completely, it will not read the pump rpm in case of hardware failure. I'll have to try it out and see how it reacts on my ASUS Apex XI.