Corsair Community

RGB Fan Flicker (Yes, suddenly like everyone else)

Zycore1

Seems like lots of people have problems with our RGB fans beginning to randomly flicker, I've got the same problem aswell. Started happening some days ago.

Have uninstalled every other RGB software, reinstalled iCue several times, tried Corsair Link, re-arranged the fans on the Commander Pro and RGB Hub, reinstalled drivers etc.

Here is a video showing the problem with my LL fans:

[ame]

[/ame]

This is only showing the front fans. The one in the back and the two in the top also have the same problem.

What to do?

Looks like a software or firmware issue to me. You could try downgrading, otherwise you'll have to wait for updates.

I tried Corsair Link instead of iCue, so I don't think the software is the problem. Maybe something with the Firmware on the Commander Pro?

Email from Corsair support...

Good day, If the LL120 are flickering kindly go over to the iCUE software and under lighting channel set the fan series to LL120 and make it 6fans connected instead of just 3 and also make sure that the only fan connected to your RGB hub should be LL120's if there is a different series of fan connected to your RGB it will break the communication.

After reboot I haven't seen any flicker.

UPDATE: After several hours I do see flicker.

Edited by CorePrime

I ran into this issue too, my fans are only a few months old, 6 x LL120.

It's only my 6th fan that flickers, the others are fine. However, I;ve tried every work around i've seen published on these forums and nothing works for me.

I uninstalled and reinstalled iCue, I end / restart the service nothing happens, I cold boot my PC with "fast start up" option turned off in windows... Absolutely nothing has stopped the flicker.

I noticed when i had completely uninstalled iCue, and there was no iCue software on my PC, it was still flickering. So could that mean it could be firmware?

I've read the historic posts on this issue that date back nearly two years on the forum, and I'm really disappointed that I'm now visiting to create an account in Aug 2019 to complain of the same issue. How hasn't this been solved? I've seen devs or other posters commenting "the dev team is working hard on this issue" a year ago.

Basically they have shared some work arounds that don't universally work, then nothing more.

I am running the latest firmware available (DLed last night) and software available.

It still seems to be working ok when every fan is set to Static Red.

I've also tried to run a earlier version of iCue and reinstalled the Firmware for the H150i + Commander Pro, didn't work.

Very annoying. If this don't get resolved soon, I'll switch to NZXT, even though their software is worse. But hopefully their firmware is better (which I think is the problem here)

• 3 months later...

Hi! I just made an account just to share my fix. I will copy pasta this in every thread about LL120/140 flicker.

Since i ordered two sets of 3 LL120 fans i got two sets of hubs. (Lightning node pro + fan hub)

I think i have tried everything to solve the flicker issue. Since im not a professional on computer hardware you can't take my assumptions accurate.

To start off with describing my problem;

Fan 2-6 was flickering and was really obvious in rainbow wave as the colors shifted swiftly. Sometimes in gaming some fan leds turned completely black and then on again.

I tried shifting place with fan 1 and 6 on the hub and assumed fan 1 was broken. It looked like that fan was making every other fan flicker. So i replaced fan 1.

Now fan 3-6 was flickering.

I tried installing old firmare on lightning node pro but no success.

ANYWAYS! Now i run the 6 fans on two seperate fan hubs connected to lightning node pro (LED 1, LED2) and that kinda fixed the problem.

In other words, 3 fans are connected in port 1-3 on hub#1 and the other 3 fans in port 1-3 in hub#2 - both fan hubs connected to Lightning node pro.

Fan 3 is the only one to flicker just slightly.

My assumption is that the sata power cable, especially connected to other devices at the same time makes the electrical power inadequate to run 6 fans at the same time.

So if you have two 3-packs of LL-fans, try spreding out the fans on different fan hubs, or connect the fan hub to a single sata power cable.

Please respond if this fixed your problem. And excuse my english, it's my second language.

Peace, Ludvig

Hi! I just made an account just to share my fix. I will copy pasta this in every thread about LL120/140 flicker.

No, 5 times is more than enough. Your assumption the RGB hub cannot provide enough 5v lighting power to 6 fans is directly opposed to all of those who are running 6 (or more) fans without flickering. You still have flickering on one fan. You want to see if the new RGB hub can work with all 6, putting the current flickering one last.

• 3 months later...
Is there any solution to this? I am in the same boat. Any lighting mode that engages all the fans at the same time causes this nonsense. the only mode I can find that works properly is visor because its only activating one fan at a time

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also experiencing this flicker. I have LL120 and LL140 fans. This has to be some kind of software or firmware issue because I just updated all these few weeks ago and that's when it started happening. Some days I don't see it but today it flickered a few times.

• 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem with flickering fans and random color cganges. I have struggled with this in almost a year now and have opend 3 different tickets at Corsair. I have had one of my 6 LL120 fans replaced as well as my fan hub. I have switched between different connectors and US:ports and so on but the problem is still there.

I have a theory of what causes this problem. I belive it is a heat releated problem. I have an RTX 2080 Ti that produce a lot of heat when it runs at 100% in game play. The temperature of the GPU will be around 85 degrees Celsius then. The temperature inside my chassi will be around 50 degrees Celisus at this time.

I have tried to lock the GPU at 100 FPS since my monitor cant handle anymore than that. The GPU will then just run at 62% and the heat will not be at the same level as when it runs at 100%. Then everythin works as normal and RGB:s are not flickering and changing any colors at all.

When I unlock the FPS again and try to run FurMark at 3440X1440 att full GPU power the flickering will come back after an ammount of time when the temperature rise inside the chassi again. When I close the GPU benchmark program everything will went back to normal again after the air inside the chassi get cooler. I have also tride to take of the side plate of the chassi and it has also helped.

I have explained this for Corsair several times but they will not listen at my theory at all.

I have exactly the same problem with flickering fans and random color cganges. I have struggled with this in almost a year now and have opend 3 different tickets at Corsair. I have had one of my 6 LL120 fans replaced as well as my fan hub. I have switched between different connectors and US:ports and so on but the problem is still there.

I have a theory of what causes this problem. I belive it is a heat releated problem. I have an RTX 2080 Ti that produce a lot of heat when it runs at 100% in game play. The temperature of the GPU will be around 85 degrees Celsius then. The temperature inside my chassi will be around 50 degrees Celisus at this time.

I have tried to lock the GPU at 100 FPS since my monitor cant handle anymore than that. The GPU will then just run at 62% and the heat will not be at the same level as when it runs at 100%. Then everythin works as normal and RGB:s are not flickering and changing any colors at all.

When I unlock the FPS again and try to run FurMark at 3440X1440 att full GPU power the flickering will come back after an ammount of time when the temperature rise inside the chassi again. When I close the GPU benchmark program everything will went back to normal again after the air inside the chassi get cooler. I have also tride to take of the side plate of the chassi and it has also helped.

I have explained this for Corsair several times but they will not listen at my theory at all.

So do you think its the Lighting Node Pro or the fans that are overheating?

Edited by More_Power

i have the same problem like everyone else...although my situation is different as all my fans RBG's flicker on and off...trust me i have done everything i can and searched for hours and days with no answers, i'm starting to wonder if corsair isn't going to address this issue. being we spend money on there products and they seem to not gone through some type of QC.

as i stated in a previous thread...everything i have done to this point,BIOS updated, uninstall, reinstall, update, forced update, rewired..and there doesnt seem to be a fix for this. its disappointing that there isnt some type of response from corsair other than repeating all the suggestions followed by other enthusiast other than tech support.

same problem, looks like corsair f***ed up firmware or something with updates :@ this kinda works for me too, now just one fan is flickering from 4. using total of 6 LL120s but 4 had problem. I think just one fan is causing problem, if you have defective fan in chain that's problem

ANYWAYS! Now i run the 6 fans on two seperate fan hubs connected to lightning node pro (LED 1, LED2) and that kinda fixed the problem.

RMA your fans guys, I can't because of my living location and they can't send free one for sure.

Edited by crazybrt

Guys The only thing I can say is I too had to struggle to figure this out. But I may have. The first time I did the LL120 fans it was fine the colors everything was great even when I was playing PUBG. So the next day I decided to get the lighting strips. So the first day I was running commander pro with a RGB HUB. The second day I purchased a Light strip also by corsair. So I also decided to rewire my computer since I had gotten a new PSU as my previous was fried. Keep in mind This new PSU I had purchased 2 weeks ago. I had no choice at that time due to the time of day so I bought the Corsair CV650. All the lighting strips and RGB fans and color was fine. Everything worked good until I played PUBG. So I left my computer on with PUBG. I noticed every time I put on my back cover. I have a lot of wiring going thru the back of the case. 1. Motherboard power. CPU power. GPU power. and now with commander pro RGB hub. So not much room. I stared wiggling the wires and they went back to the colors that I wanted. as soon as I let go. it went back to flickering. So I wiggled each wire and narrowed it to the motherboard power cable. The only thing that as different from the first time was the rewire. So I rewired back kind of the way it was before. It worked fine for about several hours. This only happen in game and the reason is because of the coil whine. If you guys don't know what coil whine is please look it up. I noticed once the coil whine starts from my PSU and bingo my fans starts to flicker. Sometimes I would get the USB disconnect as well in windows. The sound you hear when you disconnect usb device from windows and then my colors will change to hardware lighting option. I had changed it to different colors while using Icue and a different color when not. So right now I'm suspecting my PSU is the culprit. The culprit is coil whine. I would recommend everyone to see if they are having coil whine on their PSU and if infact when it flickers does the PSU have coil whine. My PSU only coil whine when I play PUBG. My previous PSU was a cooler master 550 I didn't notice any coil whine. But Since it got fried, I don't have another PSU to try out my theory. I did not see anyone on these posts actually change their PSU. It would really be interesting to see if my theory was correct. Other than the coil whine and the flickering of the lights everything works fine. I actually maybe thinking about switching to cooler master fans. These corsair Fans are too proprietary forcing you to buy their crap. I would also like to say when I'm in windows everything is fine. Edited by skymaster337